Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/28/13 3:17 p.m.

Happy Thanksgiving Just wanted to let everyone know that we are out of garage space and need budget room to pick up an Alfa, MG or Lotus as our next project car. We have decided to put our beloved Corvair on eBay. Find it at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291027034409?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/28/13 3:41 p.m.

All clear with the patio designer? Will we have to search for your body at some future point? Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
11/30/13 7:18 a.m.
octavious
octavious Reader
11/30/13 7:42 p.m.

Ummm...Karl, you wanna trade straight up for my Jeep? Ha.

Seriously, that TR3 is wicked awesome!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/1/13 7:39 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: All clear with the patio designer? Will we have to search for your body at some future point? Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Yeah, alle ist klar. We've had fun with the 'Vair mostly as a great excursion car with the kids or other couples, but with no air it could never make my daily in Florida.

Margie

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/13 5:46 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: ..., but with no air it could never make my daily in Florida. Margie

What would?

Marjorie Suddard
12/2/13 7:28 a.m.

Still rocking my 1988 e28 BMW.

Margie

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/13 9:09 a.m.

Cool, nice "all 'rounder".

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/2/13 1:00 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Yeah, alle ist klar. We've had fun with the 'Vair mostly as a great excursion car with the kids or other couples, but with no air it could never make my daily in Florida. Margie

Vintage Air project = one more magazine article!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/2/13 2:11 p.m.

I have driven this car and it really is one of the nicest out there!

Marjorie Suddard
12/2/13 3:20 p.m.

Ian, we did Vintage Air awhile back on another project... and I really don't want to add to my air-cooled Corvair's challenges in the Florida heat by adding A/C.

Margie

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/2/13 4:03 p.m.
octavious wrote: Ummm...Karl, you wanna trade straight up for my Jeep? Ha. Seriously, that TR3 is wicked awesome!

That is a really sweet 3.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/2/13 5:32 p.m.

Too bad

But I understand

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/4/13 10:00 p.m.

Ho-lee E36 M3. You just made another 14 grand in a day. You're still three days out and it's going like hell already. Imagine what the last hour will be like.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/5/13 10:36 a.m.

Hey Tim, can I drop someting off, have you guys fondle it a bit and then I flip it for wicked money?

If I had the means at the time I would have bought your 914 Project, that was nicely done.

Dan

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/8/13 2:34 p.m.

Holy crap! Congrats on he sale folks.

Marjorie Suddard
12/8/13 7:10 p.m.

Thanks. After a run of not-great luck with project cars, it's nice to have a couple in the Win column. Hope the buyer enjoys it; it really is a fun, head-turning car.

Margie

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/8/13 8:15 p.m.

True... I suppose this and the M3 sale might soften some of the residual sting from the GT6.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/9/13 8:14 a.m.
Ian F wrote: True... I suppose this and the M3 sale might soften some of the residual sting from the GT6.

I think the market for collector cars was very soft when the GT6 went out the door. The economy was in dire straits and most big-ticket discretionary-type items sold for cents on the dollar. Unfortunately, the present owner of the GT6 will be the one who benefits should he or she decide to sell it.

As unfortunate as the timing was for that car, this one hit a rising tide. That, and the incredibly well-documented fine restoration led to this one setting a precedent.

Right now, there are a hundred people looking at Corvair hulks on blocks in backyards and barns and saying, "Hmmm....."

Rupert
Rupert Reader
12/10/13 8:23 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:

Right now, there are a hundred people looking at Corvair hulks on blocks in backyards and barns and saying, "Hmmm....."

And remember. It wasn't long ago when everyone was saying no Corvair would ever be worth anything. They were a dime a dozen and owned by hair stylists and such.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/10/13 10:49 a.m.

Thanks for your comments guys. The nature of our business and the realities of life, like storage space and budget require us to sell cars once in a while and move on. When we got to over 20 cars laying around, I knew it was time to make the hard choice and let a couple move on to new owners. I really didn't know what these two were really worth and also thought the fairest way to sell them, was to put them on eBay so all of our readers would have an equal shot at them. And while neither car was perfect, we do work damned hard to do a nice job in restoring a our projects and do not skimp anywhere. I think people have come to realize this and the work we do and how we do it is very public with all the project car stories. Next to be written about will be our Tornado and we are searching for an MGB.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IyrarZqpY7VBFSinPMoeqmjIdRH0ChnjOfTtRE4mf6hSrkYTwdM81sxxQBNAwQFi