XK120OTS
XK120OTS
7/18/11 11:51 a.m.

Hi all. I'm hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction. I've got a 53 Jaguar XK120 that is about to undergo some paint and body work. One of the things that I'd like to do is remove the stock windshield (posts and glass) and replace it with a plastic "racing style" piece like you see below. Does anybody have any advice as to where I can get something like this done? Any suggestions on shops in the Denver area that would be up to the task? Many thanks in advance!

Similar to this:

Also seen here:

willie
willie New Reader
7/18/11 5:22 p.m.

i'm from ny.....i would love to have a racing windscreen..but i would lose my soft top. also the insurance & my inspection stickers. i could change over but could not driver on the road. i was going to change back and forth { i had a carpenter that could cut the plexiglass & fit it to a/h....} willie shane good luck

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
7/18/11 9:08 p.m.

It's just 1/4" Lexan. If you can't find a shop to do it for you, I'm sure a local SCCA racer could make it up for you for a fee. GT and Production classes allow Lexan windscreens. The guys with older and unusual cars end up having to fabricate them on their own. It can be cut and drilled just like wood. Gradual heating will soften it enough to bend it. Over heat it and it will bubble and melt. SCCA requires 1/4" for windscreens and 1/8" for side and rear windows. Lexan is not the same as plexiglass. It's much more shatter resistant. Good luck.

Gary
Gary Reader
7/19/11 7:07 a.m.

Aircraft Windshield Company
(562) 430-8108
10871 Kyle St
Los Alamitos, CA 90720

These guys can do it. They're in Southern California. It's a very good possibility they made the custom windscreen for the vintage Jag in the Cars and Coffee Irvine picture. I don't think they have a website, but they do advertise in at least one vintage car publication (not CM).

Gary
Gary Reader
7/19/11 12:14 p.m.

Doing a quality job like this yourself is not easy. Sure, you can heat the plexiglass and and try to bend it, but who has an oven that size? You'd also need a good form to stretch it over for symmetry. Temperature is critical. You can't use a torch or a hair dryer. But the most critical aspect is how to attach it to the car. Depending on the application it'll probably take some tricky metal forming, maybe even some TIG welding to get the shape required to conform to the the body. For a vintage Jag, I'd recommend farming it out to an experienced craftsman.

But ... why not a couple of simple Brooklands style windscreens? They look great on vintage Jags

XK120OTS
XK120OTS New Reader
7/19/11 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Gary: Thanks for all of the responses guys. So this would make the car illegal to drive on the road? I wouldn't think that would apply to such an old car.

Yes, we were actually going to install a set of Brooklands but decided against it because, IMO, it disrupts the clean lines of the 120. Also, just wanted to do something different.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
7/24/11 5:39 a.m.

Building your own Lexan windows isn't as hard as you would think. It's flexible and will bend on it's own. Tight bends require heat to form, and yes you can use a torch to heat it. You just have to be real careful not to overheat it and go slow. It cuts with a jig saw. Edges can be sanded smooth and then clarified with the torch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JzEsrCkRQTRW0ADJRiaXTD61sIo9ceXznpAggDnAI5vy7u40hvVTwO7U1HonfmKa