Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/10/08 10:51 a.m.

I'm a big fan of daily driven classics. I think they were meant to be driven and enjoyed, not look pretty in the garage while their vital fluids leak out. But I wonder how one handles a DD driver classic in less-than-balmy climates.

When I lived in Phoenix, I drove my classic MGs, Triumphs and BMWs everywhere, year-round, and never thought a thing of it. But here in Kansas City subjecting a classic Mini or something to salted roads and the idiot sliding across the ice because he's talking on the cell phone -- it seems almost criminal.

Am I overly cautious? Are their precautions and safeguards foul-weather classic owners take to protect themselves and their cars? Or is everyone outside the sun belt stuck garaging their classic for the winter?

mptreb
mptreb None
3/10/08 12:40 p.m.

I used my 1970 MGB as a daily when I lived in rochester, NY, for three years. 6" of fresh powder -- not an uncommon occurence -- was an absolute ball to drive on.

How to deal with the effects? I learned to weld.

:grin: Matt

alfadriver
alfadriver None
3/10/08 2:13 p.m.

When you know the car will dissapear if you drove it in the salt, I think it's ok to garage the car for the winter.

Few people are willing to do a $20k restoration every few years just to drive the car in the snow/salt. I know I'm not willing.

OTOH, Miatas are born daily.

Eric

carzan
carzan None
3/10/08 2:58 p.m.

No way I'm going to drive my old cars on salted roads. If the roads are dry I'll drive them in cold or hot weather, doesn't matter. I drive them every chance I get. But if the roads are covered with ice/snow or wet during the winter, forget it. I keep hearing about great non-corrosive, biodegradable, economically feasible products to replace salt on roadways but... Maybe someday. -Louis-

IanF
IanF None
3/10/08 3:29 p.m.

When I get my rusty Volvo up and running I plan to drive it as much as possible, although I'll probably avoid salty roads when I can. Partly because the main reason to build this car is so we'll have a "classic" to drive when questionable weather makes us not want to drive the nicer classics, and being so, the car will be "restored" with this in mind. The car will be intentionally 'not even close to perfect.'

I remember working on my g/f's '97 M3. She drove it in pretty much any weather except snow since she didn't have snows for it and had a front wheel drive beater. But as soon as the roads were clean, she'd drive it. However, just avoiding that amount of salt made the car much more pleasant to work on.

On side note, I see a daily-driven '69 Chevelle almost every day... and the guy drives it in any weather... rain, snow, sleet... the car isn't bad, but it's not perfect any stretch...

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 None
3/10/08 3:32 p.m.

GT6 is on its wheel casters, no way its coming out this year.

As a DD Classic, I think it would be in an accident far too easily.

Local drivers are just too unreliable.

So my Mazda with turbo, big brakes and air bags is a must. Oh should mention AC, Alarm and working wipers :)

A.

ddavidv
ddavidv None
3/11/08 6:58 a.m.

Having spent my life playing with Italian, German, and now British cars, I can tell you I am all too familiar with the quality of most of the steel used. No way any of mine are seeing salt. Those few days of driving pleasure I give up save me MONTHS in the shop welding them back together. My ultimate solution is to move away from all this crap as soon as my spouse agrees!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/11/08 7:04 a.m.
My ultimate solution is to move away from all this crap as soon as my spouse agrees!

I like that solution.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 None
3/11/08 7:22 a.m.

I am setting up for a 5th wheel rig with car carrying capacity.

A.

ddavidv
ddavidv None
3/11/08 3:32 p.m.

Tim, it's going to happen. :twisted: It may not be until I hit retirement age and my in-laws are deceased, but I am not going to spend my years hibernating between November and April. NC, KY, TN all look good to me. I'll take the occasional ice storm once every year or two. Plus, I'll be closer to VIR. :grin:

Bringatrailer_dot_com
Bringatrailer_dot_com None
3/12/08 7:38 p.m.

I had an FJ40 Land Cruiser, a 66 Mustang, and a '72 BMW 2002tii as daily drivers at different times. All were great in wet or dry, though the defroster was weak in the Mustang. All are cheap enough to not feel too bad about the rust potential.

-RN

www.bringatrailer.com

Jack
Jack None
3/13/08 1:41 p.m.

Seattle - Wet 8-9 months of the year, but no salt, so it's ok, but I don't DD my classics anyway. You do see many classic DD's though, which is somewhat unfortunate too, as it keeps the Junk Yard prices artificially high.

Jack

pjr300
pjr300
3/21/08 9:19 p.m.

I'm thinking about a Miata as a DD... Michigan is just too brutal on vintage vehicles.

wcelliot
wcelliot
3/22/08 3:29 p.m.

My last year in the midwest I decided to ice race my Corvair (which had served as a daily driver on and off for a decade) and go ahead and daily drive it for the winter since it was set up with snows... though I washed the car religiously, etc, I did several times as much damage to the body in that single winter than the past 10 years combined.... it's just not worth it.

The year before I did the same thing with a Fiesta (though it was rusty to start with, it was gone after a winter's use...)

There are plenty of newer "classics" around that will hold up better...

Bill

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OR2APl5b3z5ovpCW1Jl9lMqjyhNvaCorEAPh4MMFTZBO1uR0JW5tRjISWOIyOBoD