Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/6/21 10:50 a.m.
feature_image

No, not the car rental people. We’re talking about the Alvis Car Company, founded in England in 1919.

Yes, the carmaker got absorbed by Rover in the mid-‘60s, but the company has recently been revived and now offers brand-new versions of its cars.

The catch: They're continuation cars, and they're being hand-built in very limited quantities–25 for each model.

Built “how …

Read the rest of the story

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/21 11:03 a.m.

So, someone can. I can't.  At least not if I want to continue to provide my wife with the luxuries that she's become accustomed to.  I never should have let her get used to three meals a day and indoor plumbing.  Too bad though.  I'd really like a new Vanden Plas.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/21 12:15 p.m.

$400,000!

Just no.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/21 12:19 p.m.

I'll need a Vanden Plas and a Bertelli. The weather can be changeable, you know.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/7/21 8:37 a.m.

It is prety, but, that kind of coin presents a bunch of options.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/7/21 10:25 a.m.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I had no idea you could still buy them, and I sort of have a link to the Alvis culture.  My late fathers close long time business associate and friend back to the late 60's was a guy named Idris Francis who was well known in the UK Alvis community.  Back in the late 70's he'd commute to work in Feltham (an inner suburb of London) in his concourse winning Speed 25 Charlesworth.  I remember him driving his TD home from having the interior completly retrimmed and getting caught in a massive thunderstorm before he had put the soft top back on!  Below is a pic of him and the Speed 25 Charlesworth I found on line, he also had another Speed 25 saloon.  He had various other Alvis (plural, Alvus or Alvii, not sure) including a TD and TE both dropheads.  Those cars often appeared in TV shows during and after his ownership.  He was a very kind guy who did a  lot fot my mother after my father passed.  He passed himself a couple of years ago.  

Speed camera lie which costs lives - PressReader

Idris Francis – Alvis Archive

Also for LeCarrie fans Jim Predeaux drove a TD 21 in both the book and movie of TTSS, although the car in the movie was not one of Idris's.  

BTW, one of the death knells for Alvis as a consumer automobile company came when they were bought buy Rover who needed their casting capacity for the Bucik/Rover V8 alloy blocks.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/7/21 11:09 a.m.

Knew a guy that owned a TD21. He had applied for and received a license plate that said "PRASLEY"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qOEmNfl31WJCGkIvn3Fm9NpwLumzxaQ1dvDiBU7UDC7ix5vKTYEe172IRx8TYeSq