1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/31/15 8:24 a.m.

While driving to the office this morning I was behind a mint mid-'70s Mercury Monarch--you know, a fancy Ford Granada. While growing up, no one would have noticed that car. Today, it caught my attention.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/31/15 8:50 a.m.

I always do that with Caddy cateras. Especially since I learned of the LSx connection.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/31/15 9:21 a.m.

There was a super-clean Caddy Cimmaron running around Daytona for a few years. It was tan....and nearly mint. I haven't seen it in a while......It had to have been an elderly-owned car. Wonder where it is now.....

Florida is a great place to buy obscure old luxury cars.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/31/15 10:12 a.m.

Calling a cimarron a luxury car is a stretch.... You can polish a turd, but it still smells.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/31/15 10:44 a.m.

Oh come on now...... Cimmarons weren't terrible cars. They were super comfy Cavaliers----not a good car, but not a horrible one. Granted, calling them luxury cars is a bit of a stretch. Sort of like calling a Lincoln Versailles a luxury car....

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/31/15 10:46 a.m.

I was out walking yesterday on a side street I've never been on before. Parked in a driveway and unregistered was a clean second gen pale yellow Cadillac Seville, the one with the slant back rear-end styling and Bentley-esque upright front end. Front drive, longitudinal V8 with less than 150 HP! Looks like a gigantic stretched and widened Triumph Mayflower. It was one of Bill Mitchell's final designs as head of GM Styling (thankfully). The design was definitely polarizing back in the early eighties. They sold in pretty good numbers, but until yesterday, I hadn't seen one or even thought about it for probably 15 years. I'm gonna keep an eye on this one, not because I'd ever want it, but because I want to see if the owner has the fortitude to put it back on the road.

Not the car I saw, but this is what it looks like:

http://images.classiccars.com/classifieds/219149_11735815_1985_Cadillac_Seville.jpg

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/31/15 12:02 p.m.

I followed a nearly mint Gremlin last week. That's the first one I'd seen in years, if you don't count the one on Justified.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/31/15 1:58 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600: Wow, a Gremlin! Did you know that all that back end glass is worth more now than the car cost brand new?

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/31/15 2:00 p.m.

I saw a '67 Cougar a few days ago. I had one as a DD for a while in the mid '70s. This one looked better than mine did when I bought it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/31/15 2:04 p.m.

Not one pic. I'm leaving.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
3/31/15 2:09 p.m.

Last week I worked on a clean 72 2door LTD convertible with 52,000 miles. Still has the original 429 & AC. It's a snowbird's daily driver when he's down here. As a high school kid when it was new I would have totally ignored it.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/31/15 2:12 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Not one pic. I'm leaving.

Sorry,

I don't have a picture of the Cougar I saw the other day. But it looked a lot like the Cougar in the Post your car poster thread, minus the fancy hood ornament. If I knew how to cut and paste it here I would have.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 2:18 p.m.

I'm sure no one forgot that the 2015 Kia Rondo is only available in Canada, but seeing one on the road outside Pittsburgh was a real shocker. Must have been down here buying Penguins Jerseys...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
3/31/15 2:25 p.m.

My parents both drove Mercury Monarchs when I was born.

Sold one of them to buy a new Tempo in '88

David S. Wallens
3/31/15 2:25 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Not one pic. I'm leaving.

I was driving. And I once posted a photo taken while at a red light, and someone on the site got very upset.

Think about the children.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
3/31/15 4:43 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I followed a nearly mint Gremlin last week. That's the first one I'd seen in years, if you don't count the one on Justified.

There is a nice looking gremlin I see every time I go to my sisters house, that bright blue with a white side stripe. I've always had a thing for gremlins.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/31/15 5:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: While driving to the office this morning I was behind a mint mid-'70s Mercury Monarch--you know, a fancy Ford Granada. While growing up, no one would have noticed that car. Today, it caught my attention.

Not a Granada... but my car pretty much gets similar treatment... who'd look twice @ a Corolla

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/31/15 8:24 p.m.

Cabover Semis. I always forget and then I see one randomly scooting down the highway.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/31/15 8:42 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Never forget.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/31/15 9:11 p.m.

Goddamn cabovers!

Supercoupe
Supercoupe HalfDork
4/1/15 8:07 a.m.

hated driving the Big Brown ones....loved the way they looked...the boss just picked this up because he knows how much I love them...88 Kenworth K100 27'enclosed rollback hauler, for those times he only wants to take one car to the track....why..because he can...

Rupert
Rupert Dork
4/1/15 10:27 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:That's probably because truckers consider the hood ornament on a cabover tractor to provide about the same level of accident safety as the hood ornament on a VW bus. Either way, the driver arrives at the scene of the crash way too soon!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/1/15 11:45 a.m.
Rupert wrote: I saw a '67 Cougar a few days ago. I had one as a DD for a while in the mid '70s. This one looked better than mine did when I bought it.

In college in the early '80's I had a '67 XR7 GT with a 390 4-Speed. I think I once got double digit mpgs! I wish I had it back.

David S. Wallens
4/1/15 12:15 p.m.

As I walked out of the office yesterday evening, an early, clean-looking Porsche 928 drove by.

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
4/1/15 12:30 p.m.

Just last weekend saw a beautiful Detomaso Pantera pulling from a intersection... SO BEAUUUTIFUL!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1Yy7C5nkkRGUHsFlBAo9vfASMaWdnn9BbkK26zNfZhQnmZBY1e9K0tMUfgwPiGy