1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/26/10 11:18 a.m.

So, what would you call your most rewarding modification? I have my favorites, but I'd love to hear from others first.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
5/26/10 2:55 p.m.

For the Volvo 1800ES: IPS front sway bar. The way it changes the car is amazing.

For the Spitfire: The aftermarket wiring harness. Partly because the personal satisfaction of having accomplished the job and the more practical side of the lights (ALL of them) being brighter than any Spitfire I've seen to date, since full voltage now gets to everything.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
5/26/10 4:33 p.m.

On the GT6.

MJLJ digital ignition.

Super easy install and made the car run so nice and smooth.

2nd would be the 5 speed.

On the FIAT

My own roll cage. Just to prove I could do it.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
5/26/10 6:41 p.m.

Across several cars of various types: PlusOne Rims and Tires. A close second is a Momo steering wheel.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
5/26/10 6:44 p.m.

+1 on the IPD front sway bar for pushrod Volvos. It's the single most effective handling mod.

Good head porting is the single most effective engine performance mod.

TJ
TJ Dork
5/27/10 8:11 a.m.

On my Mini - replacing the lucas externally regulated alternator with a modern higher amp delco alternator from a junkyard Saturn. My lights no longer dim at idle. Close second on this car is paint and bodywork. Not because I did a great job, but because I learned a lot doing it.

On my BMW 2002 I would have to 2nd Andre's magajolt install. Improved the driveability of the car and now it starts and idles so much better.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
5/27/10 9:50 a.m.

Its different for every car. For my Mustang, it would have to be rack and pinion steering and front disc brakes - It needed both equally. For the TVR it would have to be a Ford 5.0/T-5 transplant. I haven't done it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be my favorite for that car. For my Civic, it would be Koni shocks.

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
5/27/10 10:23 a.m.

Fatter!

Fatter tires and Fatter sway bars!

Dave

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
5/27/10 12:35 p.m.

Air horns make me smile

Headlight relays open my eyes wide

New interior has seat of the pants approval

Period alloy wheels dresses up the look

Favorite is the bigger carburetor and smog removal that woke up a 2 litre engine.

Cheers Ron

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
5/27/10 12:38 p.m.

It do depend on da car. But, generically;

Tires. Modern radials sure are sticky! Brakes. Modern materials sure do work better. Halogen headlights. Gosh, I can see where I'm going!

But I'm not sure if you'd call those modifications or simply upgrades.

Series6
Series6 New Reader
5/28/10 4:14 a.m.

On this present car? I got it from the previous owner with a Capri 4 speed and 4th was 1:1. Swapped it to a BW T5. My next best upgrade wil be when I swap the Dana 44 axle ratio to 3.73 or 3.90.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
5/28/10 8:49 a.m.

For me, it would be a seat upgrade. Supportive seats should be considered a suspension mod, in my book.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
5/28/10 2:44 p.m.

For my Miata, I just installed a supercharger. Best addition in years.

For my old 240Z the Detroit Locker in a quick change rear-end and the overdrive 5-speed.

My worst "update"? I had a great '53 Studebaker Starline Coupe. I think that model is what the 2nd generation Camaro was patterned after. The coupe had a stock Studebaker engine with 4-bbl & an automatic. I put a 283" Chevy in with 6 2-bbl carbs and a floor mount 3-speed. Not only could I never put the beautiful hood back on without destroying it, not only did I have the occasional fire from backfire, but worst of all. The modified car was much slower than stock!!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
5/29/10 8:01 a.m.

While I'm in the middle of a turbo EFI build, for a huge improvement with very little money and little labor, it was hard to beat an Addco sway bar kit on the Dart.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
5/29/10 10:54 a.m.

Across the board: Electronic Ignition.

Leo

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/10 1:44 p.m.

A good seat on pretty much any car, and electronic ignition on those that haven't got it already.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/29/10 6:13 p.m.

Suzuki Swift seats in the Mini. Disc brakes on my '65 F100. The wife's Forester, the WRX suspension drop. For my E30, springs and sway bars.

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
5/30/10 8:59 p.m.

New header and exhaust system. Second new rims and tires.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
6/3/10 8:40 a.m.

In an MGB? A GM 3.4 V6 conversion with a T5 out of a V8 car.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/3/10 9:38 a.m.

Pertronix ignition! (or other solid state ignitions).

Also, modern tires is an obvious improvement as well as modern alternator and solid state fuel pump. I'm a big fan of air horns too!

For Spridgets-specific, tube shocks front and rear.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/4/10 10:11 p.m.

I have Pertronix Igniters on most of my old cars. Not sure if performance is really increased, but sure makes maintaining easier.

tmechanic
tmechanic New Reader
6/4/10 10:12 p.m.

For the Monza, it was the 5spd, for the Scirocco it was the Megasquirt.

midlifemotors
midlifemotors New Reader
6/9/10 11:28 p.m.

Well, a good sound system makes me happy because I love music. Suspension is one of my favorites, too! It makes me more comfortable when driving.

James midlifemotors1@gmail.com

59bugeye
59bugeye New Reader
6/10/10 6:25 a.m.

"upgrading" to the 1275

wspohn
wspohn New Reader
6/10/10 11:53 a.m.

I guess I just can't leave anything alone. Call me an obsessive tinkerer.

My Fiero has a 300 BHP turbo engine and a tuned chassis.

My Solstice has been surreptitiously bumped up by 80 BHP and has a tuned chassis.

One MGA has a fibreglass coupe body and a 3.4 GM engine.

One Jensen has a mildly tuned engine (350 BHP) another a more radically tuned one (1200 cfm six pack carbs etc.)

But for my street MGs, I tend to be a little more moderate. The MGA coupe has what I would call my standard set up for this sort of car. They NEED front discs before anything else (not a concern with mine, which is a 1962 Mk 2 with 4 wheel discs), and I always install a sway bar and stiffer front springs, as well as a (in this case 3 main bearing) MGB engine. And that's it, nothing else needed.

On the MGC, I installed a heavier front sway bar (absolutely indispensable on these to control front wheel tuck-under), front Konis, and a triple carb tuned 175 BHP engine, otherwise it is stock.

Both cars are very nice drivers, much more enjoyable without going overboard.

Oh, and I did leave one car absolutely stock. Didn't figure the Lamborghini needed any improvement....

So improving the handling would be number one, and anything that improves power without compromising driveability would be second for me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hk4mZB61PgEnVxpNZ6hx555xOurCTYYeRx7arPeQKjOZU91jKxnxePhvtB4lBq5Y