1 2 3
Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
6/30/09 12:44 p.m.

Over the last three or four years, we've seen projects, restos, or build-ups appear in GRMS and CMS of just about every car under the sun; Saab, Mustang, Tiger, Honda, Miata, Triumph, MG, Berkeley, Volvo, Neon, Nissan, BMW, Alfa, Subaru, Volkswagon, Corvette, etc., etc., etc. When will it finally be our turn? The only time we ever get to see an X1/9 on center stage in GRMS or CMS is when we vote for our own cars. It's time now, and we're ready! Can we PLEASE see an X1/9 project, restoration, or build-up? It would make many, many hundreds of subscribers feel more recognised!

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
6/30/09 12:57 p.m.

Yep. Time for a giant-killer X1/9 project.

bbrown
bbrown None
6/30/09 1:37 p.m.

I second the request... I have many photos to share of my X1/9 resto project I think folks might like to see. Ideas shared is what make these cars truly great. -Bob

Roostah
Roostah New Reader
6/30/09 2:03 p.m.

thirded...

Robmose
Robmose None
6/30/09 2:51 p.m.

I think it would be a great idea. As long as its yellow

bluevr6
bluevr6 New Reader
6/30/09 3:00 p.m.

Hey, I am currently working on one.... A SCCA DSP solo car.

Anyone who wants to document / turn wrenches / do body work is welcome to come play.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
6/30/09 3:49 p.m.

I fourtheth the comment.

Good idea. Gotta be more of us X1/9 owners out there than Sunbeam owners. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

vtwelve
vtwelve New Reader
6/30/09 4:09 p.m.

It would be great to see another well documented resto on an X. I know JUST where you can load up on great parts at incredible prices!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/09 5:09 p.m.

Okay, votes have been heard.

bluevr6
bluevr6 New Reader
6/30/09 8:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Okay, votes have been heard.

So what day can I expect you folks up here in Asheville to help out - er - um - document the project?

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
6/30/09 9:50 p.m.

Okay, guys, I have a question... This is an actual serious query... I'm 6'2" tall, can I fit in an X? Cheers, Scott

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
6/30/09 10:16 p.m.

In reply to GSCReno:

Darn, I wouldn't have teased you so much if I'd known you were such a big fella. 6'2" is actually right on the edge, I think. There have been a few work arounds that really tall "X" lovers have come up with. One is to lower the drivers floor pan a few inches, which obviously increases head room, but is a lot of work. The other one I've seen is to remove the seat and fix a lower profile seat directly to the floor without an adjustable track. On the other hand, there are definitely tall folks that I have seen drive unmodified X's on a daily basis without complaint.-Doug

GSCReno
GSCReno New Reader
7/1/09 12:10 a.m.

Cool... Thanks, Doug. My issue seems to be less about driving position once inside, and more about ingress and egress. I'm a tall, broke down 47 year old and at this stage these things matter. I got to spend a few hours with a '69 E-type drophead a while back... An absolutely brilliant machine. Once inside. Getting in and out made me realize just how old I am. Cheers, Scott

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/1/09 5:21 a.m.

I don't think ingress/egress is the problem with the X. I'm right around 6 foot, and have never felt it was a problem. Most folks that don't 'fit' in them have trouble either with the footwell/pedals (and nowhere near as bad as a Lotus Europa, which I can't drive) or with the steering wheel being too low for prominent bellyage.

BrettM
BrettM Reader
7/1/09 6:55 a.m.

In reply to GSCReno:

I am 6'1" and fit well. I think that national SCCA champ Steve Holesher is actually even more than 6'2", not sure. Of course with the top off, the sky is virtually the limit.

SpidArman
SpidArman New Reader
7/1/09 7:09 a.m.

As a subscriber of the magazine. I would buy an additional copy if this happens.

BTW, I am 6' 3" and with the Momo steering wheel, fit in the car nicely. I just have to talk off my heels when I drive. LOL!

Hey, I will gladly put my 79 Red, White and Blue, DP X19 work in progress (as seen on Ebay currently) up as a guinea pig.

Regards,

Arman

Roostah
Roostah New Reader
7/1/09 9:15 a.m.
SpidArman wrote: As a subscriber of the magazine. I would buy an additional copy if this happens. BTW, I am 6' 3" and with the Momo steering wheel, fit in the car nicely. I just have to talk off my heels when I drive. LOL! Hey, I will gladly put my 79 Red, White and Blue, DP X19 work in progress (as seen on Ebay currently) up as a guinea pig. Regards, Arman

I'm interested in your 79...

JimD
JimD None
7/1/09 9:54 a.m.

Sounds like an interesting project and I would be interested in following it as it progressed.

JimD
JimD New Reader
7/1/09 9:56 a.m.

In reply to GSCReno:

Hi Scott. Also look into an early model X. The 74-78 have a bit more room in them. Mostly because the interior was a bit more austere. :) I have a 78 and an 86, both are comfy for me at 5'9", but I do not have the seat all the way back in the 78. I do in the 86.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/1/09 2:21 p.m.

I love X1/9's. Sounds like a cool feature to me. I kind of want one.

bmw327
bmw327 New Reader
7/1/09 4:43 p.m.

It really depends upon your proportions. Early cars (pre'79) do have more room than later ones. My dad is the tallest guy I've ever known (or heard of) to have owned and driven an X. He's 6'4.5" and fit into an early X1/9 with mods. He couldn't fit into a 79 or later car, however. I'm 6'0" with a thin frame and long legs and fit into any X easily without modifications.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/2/09 8:36 a.m.

I am back from being on the road and now have more than 2 minutes of Internet access. Yes, the X1/9 is cool. In fact, I came close to buying one just after graduating from college. Sadly, at the time I was living in a studio apartment in Atlanta and came to the conclusion that I didn't have the space for another car. (Each tenant got one parking space, and there was little if any side of the street parking.) I also didn't really have the time or money. Yes, reality bites.

So short answer, yes, we do like Fiats. We have supported FLU and have a 500 in the fleet. Will we do an X1/9 project next? I honestly can't promise that as we currently have projects booked well into 2010. However, it's nice to hear that there's support for the car. Who knows, an X1/9 might follow us home one day.

Speaking of X1/9 editorial, the next issue of GRM has a story on our 25 favorite GRM feature cars of all time. Don't tell anyone, but there is an X1/9 on the list.

Until then, I'll be looking for a nice one to feature while at the upcoming Concorso Italiano. See you guys there.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/2/09 10:43 a.m.

In reply to GSCReno: Oops. Just got into and out of my "X" as a test. I'm 5'11" and I don't really think about it, to tell you the truth, but if my legs were 3 to 4 inches longer, it might be a process unfolding myself. Comfort should be okay once you're tucked in, and the entry shouldn't be much of an issue either, but I think that it's possible that getting out could end up being a "Where have all the years gone?" kind of moment. On the other hand, driving one sheds the years almost magically.-Doug

bmw327
bmw327 New Reader
7/2/09 6:34 p.m.

With all respect due, I think Doug need to cool off a bit. CMS has, in my opinion at least, been favorable in their coverage of Fiats in general and there's no reason to assume the worst, be overly dramatic, sarcastic, or anything less than gracious.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/2/09 6:57 p.m.

In reply to bmw327:

Point taken, and you're probably right. Just so you understand my P.O.V. though, I have no dispute with the quality of Fiat coverage when it occurs, I just think that there should be more of it, particularly regarding the "X".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b0BQynsjz3gvLFXcMCy9hvqMP3lWaDSGJaQBGbMMCgklTXP4qEJ4tyE2x58mCsfO