Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/15/09 3:25 p.m.

It lurks in the darkness, creeping around corners and hiding in crevices, threatening to eat your classic alive and bleed your wallet dry. In our hobby, rust is the stuff of nightmares. However, some of our favorite machines—including the Lotus, Corvette and TVR—have been able to sleep a little more soundly. How? They’re made of fiberglass.

When it comes to …

Read the rest of the story

RussMyers
RussMyers New Reader
12/26/18 5:45 p.m.

OK, I have a Lotus  Europa body that is in good shape overall, but has many many holes that appear to be released air pockets. not really cracks or starbursts, but holes. none go all the way through the glass. Would i fill them with boby filler or glass resin?

Russ  Myers.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/27/18 5:53 p.m.

I owned an early TVR Grantura. The body was bonded straight to the frame and where it wrapped the frame tubes, the metal rotted, so it had to be cut off, the frame repaired and the body remounted.  I itched for about 3 weeks after doing that.......

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/18 6:53 p.m.

I have always liked glass work. I have learned that when ever possible if you are going to be grinding cutting or sanding it segregate the area as much as you can. For some reason I always end up with ten times more dust than that of “normal” body work. 

TigerBob86
TigerBob86 New Reader
1/27/21 5:18 p.m.

Very timely.  I'm just starting to fix up my Berkeley.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/1/21 9:18 p.m.

Considering Tim's post was from 2009, I'm not sure how timely it is... wink

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/2/21 6:16 a.m.

In reply to RussMyers :

You could go either way, but if you glass them in, you must brush some gel coat over tthe repair, before you fill and paint.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/2/21 6:17 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Dustt, what dust! Seriously, that stuff gets on everything and everybody.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/2/21 6:18 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Too funny! I had to do the exact same repair on a Griffith 400.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/2/21 6:18 a.m.

In reply to TigerBob86 :

That looks exacrtly like my old berkeley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wpKp04pwiICJ7cE463FwKzbIPuRoSA77Nra3lcz4SNxFjtoP6ObPSjZit1RGsLJC