OFracing
OFracing Reader
3/24/11 12:58 p.m.

It's been a long journey but my 1970 Triumph GT6 has finally gotten painted.

Before

I was sideswiped at a traffic light Memorial Day weekend 2009 and the car effectively totaled. It took me all summer to do the mechanical work. I had to replace the entire front suspension and have the frame straightened.

After

I also bought, on eBay, a parts car from GRM that they used for various bits during they restoration of the Group 44 GT6. This required a Christmas vacation road trip from upstate NY to Daytona with one of my sons and his college roommate to drag the carcass home. The drivers door is now on this car, along with some interior bits.

They found a lot of crappy bondo work under the paint and I decided to create a money pit and fix it up right. It's a car worth saving.

Last weekend the paint was applied. For the sake of domestic bliss, I agreed to a color change. My wife thought a lighter color would make the car move visible to other drivers and possibly prevent another "incident". I have to agree with her choice of color, it does make the car stand out.

Next on the agenda, replace the glass, headliner and carpet. I hope to have it back on the road for a trip to Limerock on Memorial day for the Rolex races.

mike

Dave
Dave New Reader
3/24/11 2:19 p.m.

It looks great so far. Good on you for saving it.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/24/11 2:21 p.m.

Looks great!

Did you do the body and paint work yourself?

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
3/24/11 2:33 p.m.

I thought it looked pretty good in the "before" picture; it's going to be spectacular.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
3/24/11 3:26 p.m.

I didn't do the body work or the paint, the insurance company paid for that. I did all the mechanical work to keep the total cost more or less within the settlement.

I have painted Triumphs before and I plan on doing 3 of them, my wife's and son's Spitfires this summer. Most of the prep work on them was done over the winter.

mike

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/24/11 3:32 p.m.

It's looking great, I've always liked that color of blue!

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/24/11 8:00 p.m.

I've always thought the GT6+ is a very sexy looking car, especially in BRG. I'm warming up to your blue color though. It looks good.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/24/11 8:09 p.m.

MK1

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/25/11 8:44 a.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: MK1

MkIII.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
2/19/12 5:56 p.m.

Progress has been made!

I started the car up today and drove it in the driveway for the first time in almost 2 years. Finally starting to look like a car again. Maybe have it back on the road this spring, if nothing else, like prepping the race spit for the Mitty, doesn't get in my way.

mike

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
2/21/12 6:55 a.m.

Wow! Really nice!

Gary
Gary Reader
2/21/12 12:01 p.m.

It looks fantastic, Mike. Great color choice!

OFracing
OFracing Reader
2/22/12 7:42 p.m.

My wife's choice of color. I wanted British Racing Green. Have to admit, it looks good, shes obviously has a better sense of color than me.

mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SA2Q4flMeGYay068Kz8LGdr2XytVHVJGYAxBxrvutZgGHxdmU65YXuAGzVmvSphR