Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/3/09 11:22 a.m.

This is a little long, but hopefully you will enjoy the story:

About 15 years ago met a girl in Barrington IL and we started to date. Her sister had a gearhead boyfriend, so it always worked out well when we'd all get together. The girl and I moved out to CO together, and one day I got a call from my girl's sister's boyfriend. He said that a close friend of his Dad's had died recently, and now his widow was ill. He "Pat" and his Dad were heading to California (from Barrington IL) to help settle her estate. Part of this involved clearing out her deceased husband's garages in Hollywood. Pat's Dad knew there were some treasures in there, as he had sold his Ferrari 250 Europa GT to this guy many years back. He was now going to rescue the car, and restore it.

Pat was going to be driving a big U-Haul filled with treasure, and towing the Ferrari from CA back to IL. He asked if he could spend the night with us in Denver, and if I'd be interested in helping him drive from CO back to IL. I'd also help unload the truck and car. I jumped at the chance. I mean how often do you get a chance to help save a Ferrari right?

The trip went well, and I still remember arriving in IL and holding those Ferrari valve covers in my hands. Even the oil pan was a fluted aluminum work of art. Amazing! Pat's Dad was a wonderful guy, and a real enthusiast. They flew me back home after we unloaded. As my girl and I split, and Pat and his girl split, we lost touch. This was 1997 or so.

Fast forward to the 2009 Ameilia Island Concours. I was there working for CMS, running the booth. Towards the end of the day Margie was nice enough to relieve me of my booth duties so I could walk around and check out the event a bit. (having a cool boss rocks!)

On the lawn I came across a Ferrari 250 Europa GT. (I always check them out when I see them at shows because that cross country trip was so memorable) Looking at the placard in front of the car I noticed it was from Barrington IL. Then I read the story on the placard and chills ran down my spine. You guessed it! Here in front on me, on the lawn at Amelia Island was that very same Ferrari that I had helped move across the country over 10 years ago! Of course now the car was stunningly beautiful, and gloriously restored.

When I approached the owner and introduced myself, he said, "nice to meet you". I replied "Actually, we've met before!" I then told him that I was the guy who helped bring the Ferrari back with his son. It was a special moment, as his wife took a picture of us by the car. I was also treated to the photo album documenting the restoration. What a great time!

Sorry for the length of this, but it is special moments like this that set our hobby apart from others. Some cars are immortal, and what a wonderful thing to run into old "friends" again!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/3/09 1:11 p.m.

Thats is very cool. Awesome 250, too. Sounds like you were hanging out with the right people.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
4/3/09 2:23 p.m.

Hey, I got two of those. Sadly, I mean the blue folding chair.

Nice story. I enjoyed it.

Cheers Ron

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
4/4/09 8:38 a.m.

Long? Uh-huh! I want more. Write the story about the car, the history, and the restoration for CMS.

Beautiful car. I just love the 250.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
4/4/09 9:45 a.m.

Great story! More!

When I was first out of college('72), a local race shop (Shore Auto-Lakewood, NJ) built a "Can-Am racer/special by cutting TWO wrecked, Ferrari GT 250s (GTEs) in half and welding the useable frames together in a shorter version. The GTE is a V12 four seat car that was never as valuable as the two-seaters......but still. The "special" was covered with an aluminum body that looked sort of like a front-engine 917. I actually built the exhaust system for it (four megaphones). We took it to Lime Rock and it was really something (this was before the LR muffler requirements.....hell, we might has "caused" them). A few months later, my college roomate (who worked at the shop and was a fellow-Sprite racer) took the car out with "dealer tags" on the street and ran it into a telephone pole. Front page in the local newspaper. He was OK but the "Ferrari" was destroyed and they moved on to another project. I don't think anyone saved any pictures of the car. Just imagine chopping two Ferraris in half today to build what was basically a "hot rod".

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
4/5/09 10:04 p.m.

That really is an awesome story. Very cool!! We really do need a more detailed account of the trip.

dougie
dougie New Reader
4/5/09 10:31 p.m.

Great story, girls can come and go but great cars seem to stick with us for ever.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/6/09 9:37 a.m.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the story. I'd always hoped to see the 250 again, but never thought it would be on the lawn at Amelia. As I looked at that beautiful car, all I kept thinking was "I've held that car's oil pan in my hands!"

It was great to see the owners again too. Super nice folks, who really "get it".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aucWHtwbu0FnbhuWExQWe5vN7BOKkc6XvEYQTKe8ys9M92bh8EAmY9o7a2bvYKZd