Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/8/20 3:17 p.m.

It’s a question we’re often asked: What can be done about the uncomfortable seats found in so many classics? The follow-up question usually asks about swapping in modern or aftermarket seats.

We usually counter that the original seats are actually very comfortable—if they are in good condition. Fix them and all will be well. 

And by “good condition,” we mean …

Read the rest of the story

bkwanab
bkwanab New Reader
2/3/21 11:31 a.m.

Having rebuilt the cusions and installed new covers on my TR7 Spider seats in the past year I have a strong recommendation.  Buy a T handled hook tool for use to install the diaphragm hooks.  I found the ones used to install the exhaust springs on motorcycle or snow mobile 2 cycle engine pipes work well and only cost a few bucks.  It made what was an incredibly difficult step easy for just one person.  After struggling for two days the hook enabled me to do the job in a few minutes.

And despite working during warmer weather it helped to have a small electric ceramic fan heater playing on the diaphragm to soften it a little to ease the stretching effort.

For those with seat foam cushions that are built up from several pieces, like the TR7/8 seats, they may find the factory cotton stripes bonded to the foam has dried and split.  I discovered that for $1 at my local Dollar Tree store I could buy 2" wide genuine hessian fabric in a small roll that was perfect to replaced the original material.  I used a slow setting 3M spray adhesive to reconstruct the seat cusions just like they left the factory around 40 years ago.

Job done, they look great and are very comfortable too.

edmagoo
edmagoo New Reader
11/15/21 12:39 p.m.

Years ago I rebuilt my TR6 seats. The kit I bought included new diaphrams with the new seat covers. Since my old diaphrams were good, I added the new diaphrams and doubled up.

It is possible to have too much support.

Instead of bucket seats, it felt like I was sitting on a ball.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x79CqxvZayFctVupJPBWUDiK0Wnuxl4Oeg2YvYIr10HgzoY7ReghqbWBR9HdTNL0