Story and Photography by Bill Holland

Editor's Note: this article originally ran back in 2018. Some information and prices may be different today.

Without a doubt one of the most popular powerplants in the history of sports car racing is the venerable A-series engine. Throughout its nearly 50-year lifespan it appeared in such vintage racing icons as the Austin-Healey Sprite, …

Read the rest of the story

peter890
peter890 New Reader
2/22/21 4:06 p.m.

well, I reckon that engine would be just wonderful sitting on a display stand as a piece of automobile art - it is totally schmick ! well done guys - I now wish I han't sold my Mini Moke - then I could embark on recreating something as nice as you have done. I would have to worry about the driveshafts though !

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/22/21 10:01 p.m.

120hp to the wheels for a 1275 is pretty stout.

Frank Wissman
Frank Wissman None
4/5/22 10:01 p.m.

Why is torque crossing HP at 6,700 RPM? Should be at 5,252 - that's a lot of artistic license on the dyno sheet.

Winfield Schmitt
Winfield Schmitt New Reader
10/30/22 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Frank Wissman :look at both sides of the graph. Torque and HP are displayed different scales.

MichaelRogers
MichaelRogers New Reader
10/31/22 1:41 a.m.

This makes Huffaker's engines look like toys and costs more than his original cars! --so much for an inexpensive racing class as intended.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
km5FpFsazHmbcYZ5KQS0fTPKXA9jI2QSEdIYsQ0L3zaGTjsF1R2GBAw5W6qsaHPl