1 2 3
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
6/29/13 7:12 p.m.

You know the ones that could pose as a grocery-getter, late model malibus, novas, and monte carlos. I played around witha '72 nova for a bit and had some fun. Now I'm looking for something else. Whats the best late 70s muscle cars? Something like '75-79, I don't like trans am and firebird bodies that much..

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/29/13 7:41 p.m.

GM X-bodies (Nova and relatives) have all the Camaro and Firebird suspension bits bolt right on, in a lighter package.

For some reason, I've wanted to build a Dodge Mirada.

Although I think this is two years too late. How about a Mercury Zephyr Z7 instead?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
6/29/13 8:23 p.m.

That Mercury is smooooth. They come with 350 v8s?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/29/13 8:25 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: That Mercury is smooooth. They come with 351 v8s?

FTFY

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/30/13 5:38 a.m.

The Mercury is a Fox body. Anything for a Mustang will bolt on. Doubt it came with anything larger than a 302 from the factory, but it's easy to fix that.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/30/13 10:52 p.m.

I have a weakness for a nice A-body GM

How about a good old Laguna?

Or Olds Cutlass 442.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/1/13 11:17 a.m.

A guy is selling a Mirada near my house. It looks like it's in DD condition. I could check it out...

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/1/13 11:25 a.m.

I can see where this thread is headed...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/best-muscle-car-for-beginner/59166/page1/

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
7/1/13 11:27 a.m.
Coldsnap wrote: I played around witha '72 nova for a bit and had some fun.

wait wait wait wait wait...

you bought one and never told us?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/13 12:28 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote:
Coldsnap wrote: I played around witha '72 nova for a bit and had some fun.
wait wait wait wait wait... you bought one and never told us?

And then moved on?!?

Aaaaahhhh!!!!

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/1/13 1:59 p.m.

Yup bought a '72 Nova and a Haynes manual. Played around for a few months, someone really liked it and wanted to buy it cash up front for more than what I paid for it. Figured why not. I was planning on posting a thread about it because I needed some advice on fixing some rust spots, glad i got out of that though because I didn't want to repair rust.

So now I'm shopping around again.. I think a later 70s car could be a better daily drive anyways.

'78 Monte Carlo http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3904964415.html

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/1/13 2:06 p.m.

here we go

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/1/13 2:15 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Yup bought a '72 Nova and a Haynes manual. Played around for a few months, someone really liked it and wanted to buy it cash up front for more than what I paid for it. Figured why not. I was planning on posting a thread about it because I needed some advice on fixing some rust spots, glad i got out of that though because I didn't want to repair rust. So now I'm shopping around again.. I think a later 70s car could be a better daily drive anyways. '78 Monte Carlo http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3904964415.html

I don't suppose you took any pictures of your Nova before you sold it?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/1/13 2:22 p.m.

Yea, four door. Only thing that was around my budget, All the two doors locally were either trashed or way over priced

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/1/13 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

So tell us about it?

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
7/1/13 9:00 p.m.

What am I missing here????? Honestly, I always thought that was Detroit's darkest era.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/13 9:54 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: What am I missing here????? Honestly, I always thought that was Detroit's darkest era.

It was. No doubt about it. Still, some of us do retain a soft spot for these awful cars, me included. My very first car was a 77 Cougar. I'd love to find another one and drop in a gently massaged 460....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
7/1/13 9:55 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: What am I missing here????? Honestly, I always thought that was Detroit's darkest era.

It was, but the cars are unloved, appropriately cheap, and can be made a lot better now with very little work.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/2/13 7:09 a.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
7/2/13 7:24 a.m.

whats the budget?

theres a late 70s el camino down here in albemarle for the right price, as well as a mid 70s olds a-body

or, ill sell you my 64 elky....

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/2/13 7:27 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: whats the budget? theres a late 70s el camino down here in albemarle for the right price, as well as a mid 70s olds a-body or, ill sell you my 64 elky....

I would like a '64 elky....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
7/2/13 8:43 a.m.

8k, with all the spares. and it is a competant autocrosser/work tryuck. proved that this past week hauling engines, transmissions, and going autocrossing on saturday. pulled third in CP.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
7/2/13 8:59 a.m.

How about some late 70's "practical muscle?"

I've been building this for the past 6 months. It used to be a long box.

And I picked up some stickers for the back window:

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
7/2/13 9:04 a.m.
Coldsnap wrote: So now I'm shopping around again.. I think a later 70s car could be a better daily drive anyways. '78 Monte Carlo ... http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3904964415.html

If you're shopping the malaise era, I'd skip the bloat and go for an early g-body or fox body. Huge aftermarket potential for improvements, brakes, suspension, engine, etc.

I particularly like the early g-body Monte Carlos (pre '81) where they still had the crease in the fenders and more body contour.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
7/2/13 9:10 a.m.

Moving past the curved styling... the early '80's, late '70's Malibus can look great also.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsOGKZk93vBWrrj9CKsgBdbqqAqNpaqy95wgKcC1b5u5yVq8Z19Lml1uf76Y3SHm