1 2
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/21/09 10:52 a.m.

As a side note, MG had at least 4 different colors that are commonly called "BRG". My favorite is "New racing green"

Gary
Gary Reader
1/21/09 12:14 p.m.

My '68 Spitfire was originally BRG but repainted red at some point. I'd prefer BRG but the red will probably remain for now. The BRG is still under the hood and inside the trunk and that'll stay that way. Can't be too fussy with a car called the Spitrod. I found that the original shade of BRG is pretty close to the ubiquitous green plastic lawn furniture and I've used green rattle can touch up paint made for that on scratches under the hood. It's acceptable. Maybe I’ll re-do the exterior in lawn-chair-green someday with a few cans.

As a side bar to Tim's side bar about BRG, Peter Egan recently wrote that he had his project Lotus Elan painted BRG but had a hard time finding a shade that looked right on the car. BRG apparently runs the gamut from pea-soup green to nearly black. Somebody even suggested he consider John Deere tractor green paint available at the local Agway store (and John Deere yellow for the racing stripe and wheels). But he finally settled on early 90s Miata BRG and said it looks perfect.

impster
impster Reader
1/22/09 5:15 a.m.

In 35 years of repainting my classics, I've yet to do one of them in the original color. Were any of them valuable, I would have considered keeping it stock but I've always enjoyed personalizing my cars. Right from owning my first car, a Series I Sunbeam Alpine (original black to powder blue!), I've never been able to leave well enough alone.

Some have been turned out pretty good (my Series 5 Alpine in a Toyota yellow was fitting) whereas others were "unusual" (the white / dark blue Sunbeam Imp was a combination only a mother could love). Currently my TR8 is a custom royal blue and my XJ6C is about to change color although it will be painted a newer Jag color.

IMHO your car should be whatever color you want it to be!

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/22/09 5:32 a.m.

Back in 05 the # of Wedgwood blue GT6's was well rather low.

Since then... I know of at least 2 cars where red GT6's came out of the paint booth wearing blue.

Sigh. :)

I really really hummed about the colour.

Then one night the body man called me, "Pick your colour, I want to tint the primer." I blurted out blue.

It was done.

Still when I saw the photos of the primer, I fell out of my chair.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
1/22/09 8:08 a.m.

I've read there is no "official" shade of BRG, so the options definitely run the gammut. There has been a fair bit of groaning in MINI circles for years about the rather dark metallic BRG offer for the MINI. My own personal opinion is the shade doesn't mean much, but above all else it should be a non-metallic.

Right now, I'm leaning towards POR-15's "hardnose" 2-part dark green for the Spit and ES. Apparently, it's self-leveling properties and general toughness should make it a good choice for my "driver/beater-quality" restorations. We shall see.

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
1/22/09 10:05 a.m.

Yes and no. On my Coupe, I went from some unnamed factory red (actually don't remember it at the moment) to a Ferrari red.

My x1/9 has been through the color pallet. From original silver to dual scheme--upper beige-lower brown (not my doing!) to metallic teal (early 90's GM color code) to an retina burning yellow today. I like to experiment.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/23/09 9:17 p.m.

The Mini was resprayed by someone in the UK who hopefully does not call himself a restoration shop. I'm not sure it's the correct shade of white; the interior bits look 'brighter' to me. While I don't mind the white, I don't think it's the most flattering colour for the car and would much prefer BRG with a white roof. But, I may keep it white to avoid a colour change and simply paint the roof black next time. The paint that's on it now will have to do for a few years.

My '65 Ford pickup was repainted but in it's original 2 tone colors, thank heavens. Too bad the white is experiencing adhesion failure though.

My Fiat 124 Spider was originally red and I repainted it the same as I'd always wanted one that color. They are not fun cars to color change so finding a red one was a real blessing. The gal who bought it from me was adamant she wanted a red car that was always red too.

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
1/24/09 5:25 p.m.

My '64 MGB was originally painted red, with a red top, red seats, red tonneau, red interior panels, red short tonneau, and red carpet. It was red.

Today it is British Racing green with a white stripe, a black top, black tonneau, honey tan seats, honey tan interior panels, and champaigne beige carpets.

I still have the red full tonenau.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
1/24/09 7:57 p.m.

That Snowberry White is close to what I want for the Midget using tan/brown interior. I want a off off white exterior for the Midget. Since my Opel GT is also white I wanted a different shade (darker) white.

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
1/26/09 1:05 p.m.

The color of my '76 Jaguar XJ12-C was "green sand", when I bought it. It is a kind of mustard color, but "baby sh!t yellow" more accurately describes it. I stripped it down to bare metal, removed all the glass, interior, all removable sheet metal and repainted it "regency red", another stock Jaguar color that is really what most of us would call maroon. I use a catalyzed polyurethane color and clear coated it.

My three MGs are all the original colors.

Dave

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r06eyyrIVct8woKZFHoti5m6C6hdscv4uiiYH5ydpEuoQvShQ8CeOq3ogOn0eOGF