Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/14/13 9:10 p.m.

I just wanted to thank CM for the Fiat article in the latest issue, this makes two Fiat articles in the last few issues. I'm really hoping to keep seeing a couple pages per issue on something italian, alfas, older lambos, maseratti, ferrari, so we remember there are other classics besides the british and american muscle. One idea, go old old school like model A timeframe, but do a retrospective of all makes from the era, would make for a unique issue.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/13 2:24 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to find the current issue.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
3/18/13 4:07 p.m.

My only complaint about that article is I would like to have heard something about how they were on the track. I kind of left me hanging.

I have a friend that has (or had) two Dino coupes in his yard.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/13 4:14 p.m.

The Dino... There's something about that shape, and in particular that beautifully bulgy and swoopy hood and fenders and the tidy grille and lights down low...

Really, really pretty.

Unfortunately, my impending convertible sports car shopping is much more in the 124 bracket...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/13 9:49 a.m.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the issue.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
3/21/13 10:05 a.m.

I love the Dino too. I didn't realize they had gotten that expensive, but it doesn't surprise be. It carries the Ferrari tax, even though it isn't one. I think one of these would be on my win the lottery bucket list rather than a Ferrari. I really like the size and the power is just about right.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/21/13 11:50 a.m.

The Dino is a lovely shape. I could have bought one once for $5,000 and denurred as I wasn't up for the maintenance costs - should have bought it and stored it as an investment, but back then, they weren't worth much except for the convertibles and I liked the coupe better anyway.

Performance was only almost as good as a dead stock Fiero GT V6, which shows how quickly things developed, but no one cares because they look so delightful. I helped a friend buy the Fiat Dino coupe equivalent - one of the few that hadn't already had the nice little V6 stolen to replace a broken one in a Dino.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/21/13 12:19 p.m.

I had a 246 GT as well as a Fiat Dino coupe. I loved the 246Gt and it has to be the most beautiful car I have ever owned.

The fact that prices are hitting as high as $500,000 surprises me a bit as they are now out pacing the Dayton, which is a much lower production car with a great racing pedigree as well. That to me makes the Daytona a car to buy now if you can afford it.

Having also owned a pair of Daytona's I will say that the Dino is a better driving car to be sure, but they built 3,883 Dino's and only 1273 Dayton coupes, with another 121 Spyders. This to me means that these cars will eventually out pace the Dino in price.

The Dino, especially in coupe form, is just so stunning though.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/21/13 3:28 p.m.

Have I mentioned Andy that I hate you? Just kidding!

I have spent one very short drive in a 246 Dino, and it still remains as an all time favorite drive. It wasn't that fast in straight line, even 20 something years ago, but it was sublime as a driving experience. And impossible not to look at it when you walked away. This one was a GTS, but it is still one of the prettiest cars ever made.

I think at the time, I could have bought it for around $35k. That was in the '90's.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/21/13 3:28 p.m.

Back in the 1970's a friends dad had a Dino. He sold it for around 10 K in the late 70's to replace with a Porsche 911T.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGKGPQ5rYDSx2AZd6JYpDFZMhjJnqRrHD36ezH6qpzzDX1Zla0TV6JWjbKZLomW8