Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/15/13 9:30 a.m.

Found one near me with a 440. 23k miles. Don't know year or trans type. Interior is real good, looks like its been sitting for awhile. He is asking 4900. So the question is. Good price? And should I try and trade my miata for It?

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
6/15/13 3:56 p.m.

Do it!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/13 10:31 p.m.

Interior being really good is a good starting point, these interiors have a bunch of dead cows in them and cost an arm and a leg to refurbish.

They can rust a lot, so go through the car with a magnifying glass. Oh, and they can leak into the interior, with doesn't help with the rust either.

Mechanically it's most likely got a Torqueflite 727(?) bolted to that engine - the majority of the drive train is standard Chrysler so parts are essentially a NapaZone away. The same might not apply to brake parts etc, those will require a closer look - can't remember off the top of my head what those are, but they might take a little finding.

Another thing that comes to mind is that they like overheating, make sure that it doesn't, alternative you're looking at potentially buying a raditor, fans and all that fun stuff. I don't think I've even seen one in the UK that wasn't modified with electric fans.

Also, keep in mind these things were more expensive than an Aston Martin in their time and appointed accordingly. Fixing the small niggling bits can cost a fortune, as can trying to find Interceptor-specific parts, so make sure it's complete.

That said, if the Miata isn't a DD and the car is in decent condition, I don't see a massive problem with a trade. Mind you, there might be a reason why the owner wants a nice reliable Japanese car.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/16/13 6:42 a.m.

He doesn't want a miata, he is just taking trades. Hasn't gotten back with me either. Its in the daytona craigslist if one of you guys wants to see it.

BoxheadTim
6/16/13 11:18 a.m.

I just had a look at the photos on the ad. TBH I don't think it's worth anything near the asking price, from the photos that looks like a $2k parts car to me.

It's a hand built Brit supercar that clearly needs bodywork, a paint job and the interior needs work also. Not to mention that if it has been parked on a wet surface like this for a length of time it'll need a lot of work to the chassis as well.

They're worth what - $15k? $20k for a really nice one on a good day? -and I can see $15k-$20k's worth of parts and labour on this one unless you've got a lot of experience doing bodywork and can essentially do the body and paint yourself for the cost of materials. Refurbing the interior to a decent standard is also going to be "fun"...

I'd very much keep the Miata.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/16/13 12:26 p.m.

Ya. Wasn't sure on the condition on one of those, or the real value. See a ton selling for 50k, but that's it. Ill skip it. Thanks! Even tho it is in grms backyard:-P

jens
jens
6/16/13 12:33 p.m.

Hi I am a new guy here and not a mechanic at all but talking about very nice Interceptor for $4900 it's a joke..to make a nice one it will cost you at least 35k if you will do a lot of work yourself...believe me I have 5 interceptors. Set of weatherstripping gaskets alone without installation which is a horribly complex job will cost you 2.5k

BoxheadTim
6/16/13 12:38 p.m.
Jaxmadine wrote: Ya. Wasn't sure on the condition on one of those, or the real value. See a ton selling for 50k, but that's it. Ill skip it. Thanks! Even tho it is in grms backyard:-P

Have you actually seen them sell for that sort of money or was that more the asking price? I'm just curious because I haven't seen non-convertibles sell for that sort of money (yet), but I might have been asleep at the wheel again.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/13 12:48 p.m.

Honestly I looked at the ad and it doesn't look like a parts car to me. I think the price is pretty fair for somebody whoe wants a fun rare big block import that doesn't care if its absolutely perfect.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/16/13 1:26 p.m.

I just googled it to find prices. The ones for 50k seemed to be fully restored/immaculate ones. And while I can do most of the work and make a lot of parts, I'm still doing the damn tr4 resto. No time! Lol. But I this on ran I could make it work. 2.5k for weatherstripping is pricey!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/18/13 6:04 a.m.

just chiming in. Nice driver saloons are selling for as much as $20,000 with the best examples selling for 30K. I have seen a pair of convertibles sell recently for more that $60,000.

Good examples of an interceptor are a great car. If you want one, buy it now.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/18/13 10:14 a.m.

Never buy a rotted Interceptor - far too much money will go into the body.

Decent cars go around $15K and up. I wouldn't touch a $4900 car as you be far better off spending $15-18 for something you didn't need to put more money into - just drive it.

Which reminds me, I better stick a plate on mine soon or the summer will be gone!

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
6/25/13 10:55 a.m.

I have no experience with Interceptors but I believe there is a marque spcific parts company in England specializing in these. Also I was in Maine last weekend and saw a woman driving a yellow one...you don't see many of them on the roads being used, so kudos for her!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/25/13 11:33 a.m.

Out of interest where's the ad so we can look at pics. Did I miss it?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/25/13 11:43 a.m.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3840549869.html

It doesn't look terrible, and Deland isn't anywhere near the ocean, so the rust may not be all that bad.

That said, mold is likely to be an issue with the interior, and parts are rare and big $$ for one of these.

It could be a cool project......it could be a money pit. It could be both!

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/25/13 2:50 p.m.

Mold is easy to fix! I fund a more interesting, Long term project. But the new house comes first. Someone at least go look at it tho.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jCMyvRy04pcG5B0iaYofxNzW3mOLwgOhkvsu5FMm2eIl7UPV6Ao925gQLA4cshe5