Thanks A!

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
5/27/14 7:25 a.m.

One day!  photo Jane15_zps38e0ab5a.jpg" />

Rupert
Rupert Reader
5/28/14 1:02 p.m.

Lot's of interesting comments. However no one has mentioned the elephant in the room, in this case while driving your car. It's the cellphone! Scientific study after study has proven driving while on the cellphone is at least as dangerous as driving while legally intoxicated! And driving while texting is as dangerous as trying to drive while almost passed out.

Everyone should obey the local laws concerning safety equipment in your car, and in Kentucky that includes car seats for the younger ones. If you want your younger ones to have the best chance of growing up, turn off your cellphone before you start your engine. Also make sure to stop on the side of the road before you fool with your GPS, check the map, and certainly if in a heated argument with anyone, including your kids. Don't look over your shoulder at them while shouting, pull off then shout!

By the time your children are old enough to drive, they will have already noticed your habits. That won't stop them from making stupid mistakes, but it will help. Also when they start driving make sure, and the technology is getting better everyday, their cellphone can't be operated while the car is moving.

I've had two preventable accidents in the last few years. In each case, one an adult, the other a 17 years old driver, hit my car because they were distracted by their cellphone. In the wrong situation a 24 year old or a seventeen year old female could have been killed in either wreck. And they are each someone's daughter. Not to mention the old guy they hit who never drives with a cellphone turned on.

If your phone is on and it rings, you will at least look to see who is calling. That look gives plenty of time to have a multiple life-killing wreck! There is no phone call or text as important as preserving even one human life. Especially if that human life is your child's!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/14 1:07 p.m.
pushrod36 wrote: For the record my car is a '68 Pontiac and this incident (http://jalopnik.com/5816178/lexus-attacks-two-classic-cars/) is what makes me question things. I appreciate the input from everyone.

why am i no suplised at the nationarity of the rady driving the rexus?

/racist remark

my kid gets to ride if his seat can be belted in safely. he took his first ride in the 72 chevelle when he was 5 weeks old. we enjoy car shows, cruise nights, going to the track, and other general old/fun car related things, and he has a blast at all of them.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
5/31/14 3:33 p.m.

Each of my kids get turns going to school in The Lethal Locost.

If that makes me an evil parent, I'm ok with that.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
5/31/14 7:32 p.m.

I support your evilness.

Leo

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/14 7:48 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Each of my kids get turns going to school in The Lethal Locost. If that makes me an evil parent, I'm ok with that.

It appears that you corrected the primary visual flaw in the traditional Locost. Did you add a sloping tube at the top of the "door"?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
5/31/14 8:56 p.m.

I angled the tube, yes. I shortened the cockpit - a significant visual flaw. Another flaw is the "boot" is to short vertically; I am currently correcting that (The Lotus Seven).

But let's not get off-topic.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
5/31/14 9:04 p.m.

I've been driving around my 2-year-old daughter in the back of our 73 Volvo 145 pretty often lately. She always asks to ride in "the red wagon." New cars are nice and all, but they don't really match a vintage ride for windows-open motoring, even on the freeway.

Even as a Volvo, I know it's not in the same league as a new car for safety. But 3-point seatbelts and great brakes helps make driving in modern traffic a little less terrifying.

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
6/1/14 10:34 p.m.

Not so long ago when I was a kid I used to get rides in my dads elan before it was turned into a vintage racer. Man that thing was a blast and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
6/2/14 6:40 a.m.

Are there actual laws against kids being in the front or is it just folklore based on visor warning labels? The only reason for that whole "kids safer in the back" bs is airbags, and on anything pre-airbag, and especially pre-rear shoulder belts that is probably not true. I know here people look at you funny for putting a kid up front but there is no actual law against it.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
6/2/14 10:00 a.m.

It varies state to state. We have a 2009 Lotus Elise that has a non-smart passenger airbag. After some para-educated head scratching we (me and some engineering buddies) decided that the car seat kept the kid in the same position as an adult. Plus the fact that the Lotus has a lot of room between the pax and the airbag. So Jane is good to go. Later on I talked to a cop friend and he said that we were good as far as the law went as well. The most ironic thing is that the Elise is one of the safest cars on the road!

Its a shame what our government has done in the name of safety. I live in West by God Virginia.

Cheers, Leo

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/2/14 10:08 a.m.

Laws vary. In SC, kids can be belted in a correct safety seat for their age in the front seat only if all of the available rear seats are occupied. In NY, there is no law against front seats for kids. Look them all up as you need... I did.

pushrod36
pushrod36 New Reader
6/4/14 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Leo Basile:

I got into a bit of a debate when we went to the first time parent class at the hospital on the topic of installing seats. I got some dirty looks from many of the other parents. Most notably from the wedding photographer who knows because he crashed a motorcycle once.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/14 10:06 a.m.
pushrod36 wrote: For the record my car is a '68 Pontiac and this incident (http://jalopnik.com/5816178/lexus-attacks-two-classic-cars/) is what makes me question things. I appreciate the input from everyone.

The Lexus jumped the curb and mound so when it hit the Lemans it was 2 feet off the ground. A 'street level' impact would have been less damaging. The car damn near went through the window!

old_
old_ Reader
6/9/14 10:27 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
The Lexus jumped the curb and mound so when it hit the Lemans it was 2 feet off the ground. A 'street level' impact would have been less damaging. The car damn near went through the window!

Just like getting hit by a truck, suv, or "donk".

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/18/14 3:14 p.m.

We put seat belts on the occasional seat shelf in our 1960 Triumph TR3, BUT if is was a remote (30 minute +)show/event, my wife would drive her car too and we would all get in the TR for the final 1/4 mile. We did cavort about town with the kids in the back though.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
6/19/14 10:07 a.m.

I've been dragged about in all manner of things since birth. Literally. I'm not dead yet! My favorite when I was real little was the Manx, and dad often refers to that not as a car but as a "really safe motorcycle." Take them out and about, just don't dangle anyone out the window....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zP5kunrRVgqvzuKeJiEu2uuM89QCaw0rriYc4Dq44zHhhgFXZBSmHE0mlnewYjQD