Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/19 8:26 a.m.

Is it just me, or were there some incredible bargains obtained on legendary cars at the Mecum auction in Harrisburg? 

If you missed it on NBCSN, the results are up on Mecum's site. The Todd Werner collection included very special iconic cars raced by Richard Petty, Sox & Martin, Dick Landy and more stars. Except for the King's Superbird, most of them sold for a fraction of what I would have expected.  And there seemed to be bargains among the street cars as well.  What happened to those Hemi Cudas that were bringing seven figures not so long ago?  Was this just a rough night at the auction?  Has the market changed that much?  Will the common working person soon be able to afford an awesome classic muscle car?  What will Monterey be like?

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/5/19 3:36 p.m.

It could have been a rough night, especially with Monterey being only a week away. We'll see what happens there. That will be telling. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/7/19 3:08 p.m.

I think the market is changing, not sure Monterey is a good gauge of that...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/19 3:47 p.m.

Yeah, there can be deals at auctions, especially on the off days. And sometimes cars just don't fetch what you think they should. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DEcmdoQglJLlBY0vknsxIv1Knbk8rA79UhPRfaC98ydL06cllFoB69RpmM14nUNr