David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/09 5:10 p.m.

You know, I don't think we have really mentioned this yet: Look for the Modern Midget project car at the upcoming Import Carlisle event. The twist: Tim and Rennie are going to drive it back to Florida after the event. Crazy? Best idea ever? Discuss.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
5/7/09 5:34 p.m.

Would anyone think twice about driving it 20 miles? All they have to do is drive it 20 miles 50 times or so. Piece of cake

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/09 5:36 p.m.

See, that makes it sound so simple. Carl did add a power plug for their iPods, GPS, phones, etc. (And yes, we'll show how it was done in a future issue.)

rconlon
rconlon Reader
5/8/09 9:46 a.m.

It is probably a good idea to take a well sealed sedan to the Carlisle.

Cheers Ron

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
5/11/09 12:51 p.m.

I had the Modern Midget at the chassis dyno over the weekend to dial in the tune up. We made 107HP on the engine dyno and 85HP on the chassis dyno, so we hit right what we expected. It 0-60's in just under 7 seconds. Of course at Carlisle, we'll only be running the windshield wipers. They go left to right in just over a second.

I also finally put the top on it. While I was tempted to make a better story (Tim and Rennie driving from PA to FL without a top seems like a good story to me), I decided that I might want to talk to Tim and Rennie again in the future.

--Carl

Ian F
Ian F Reader
5/12/09 11:23 a.m.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Be sure to stop by the NASS tent and see my Spit6.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
5/12/09 12:29 p.m.
Carl Heideman wrote: I also finally put the top on it. While I was tempted to make a better story (Tim and Rennie driving from PA to FL without a top seems like a good story to me), I decided that I might want to talk to Tim and Rennie again in the future.

Around '64 or so, my older brother and drove from Philadelphia to Santa Barbara in a TR-3A. The top departed the car somewhere on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and we went the next 3000 miles without one. Rained buckets all the way through Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle, but we stayed dry as long as we kept moving at a good clip.

The biggest problem was that we both had sunburn on one side of our faces by the end, like Richard Dreyfuss in "Close Encounters."

Luke
Luke Dork
5/13/09 2:40 a.m.

"0-60 in under 7 seconds"

That's one quick Midget! I'm impressed.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/16/09 6:33 a.m.

So far so good at Carlisle. The Midget looks great and I have found some great deals on TR6 and Spitfire parts. Set of Konis for a Spitfire in good shape for $60! I still love Carlisle and the weather has been great. There is even a Berkeley for sale!

mptreb
mptreb New Reader
5/16/09 11:36 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: See, that makes it sound so simple. Carl did add a power plug for their iPods, GPS, phones, etc. (And yes, we'll show how it was done in a future issue.)

Really? An article on adding a cigarette lighter? Or is there something more complicated going on here?

Matt

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/16/09 3:02 p.m.

That would probably be a quick "notes from the garage" type bit. Unless you think you really need a full article on it.

Margie

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/17/09 9:16 a.m.

Midget looks great, as expected.

Unless you have a Triumph, MG or Jaguar I found the flea market substantially shrunken, pathetic and near death.

The car show continues to flourish in spite of $25-$30 entry fees to park on a piece of grass and get nothing in return.

I was a vendor at this back when it first began and have attended every year since, and after this year doubt I will bother with it again. It's a shadow of it's former self. A real pity.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
5/17/09 11:01 a.m.

This was my first "Carlisle". I kinda thought it sucked to be honest. Im glad I got to see the Midget and recover an old copy of CM that my dog ate. With that said, the grand total to walk around for 2 days was 42 bucks, kinda steep for what was offered. If I go back next year, its only to visit friends and make fun of the really bad MG kit cars.

Leo

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
5/18/09 10:04 a.m.

As Margie said, a lighter plug story may makea a good "Notes from the Garage." As simple as it sounds, we've seen so many people run things directly to the battery, unfused, or something similar. So we're thinking a quick story on how to do it right may be worthwhile.

--Carl

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/18/09 2:00 p.m.

WOndering if anyone saw Bruce Meyers VW buggy guru ?

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
5/18/09 9:30 p.m.

I did! but didnt talk to him. I wouldnt know what to say!

Leo

Trevor
Trevor Dork
5/21/09 11:05 a.m.

So... did they drive the Midget back?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/09 11:58 a.m.

Sure did... http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1971-mg-midget/thoroughly-modern-midget/

Luke
Luke Dork
5/21/09 6:45 p.m.

Diggin' the blacked-out Rostyles

Trevor
Trevor Dork
5/21/09 9:33 p.m.

I'm thinking about Carl's comment that the car can make 60mph from a standing start in less than seven seconds. I guess maybe I should dig back and get the specs, but what rear end? Limited slip diff? What is the rev limit? Or... what is the gear ratio in the T9 tranny. Is he hitting 60 mph in second gear?

I've made 0-60 in the low sevens, but wheel spin and the need to hit third gear prevents me from doing any better.

Not like it really matters, but having grown up with muscle cars, I still like to know the 0-60 and how to improve it.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
5/22/09 8:53 a.m.

We've got a 3.9 rear end in the car and it hasn't been rebuilt to limited slip yet--it will be. We've got hardened axles and double-bearing hubs from the Winner's Circle to overcome the weak link in Midget rear ends. The engine revs to 7500+ RPM, so we launch at about 3000 RPM with just a little wheelspin, shift 1-2 at about 7500 (slight bark from rear tires on shift), and take it to 60 in 2nd gear. A stock engine won't rev as high and takes a shift to third to get to 60. Staying in 2nd probably takes over a second off the 0-60.

--Carl

Trevor
Trevor Dork
5/22/09 10:28 a.m.

Makes sense. I'm only comfortable taking my engine to 6500, though I've hit 7000 a few times. My biggest issue is the Datsun transmission has such a low second gear.

Thanks for the follow up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p3etkKaQnG1RoMLjxe06U3lOJMNKvG6Q4OAvZgwQvbtuE8gX5S90UZIAa9ql8lFX