qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
4/11/10 11:59 p.m.

I thought I'd post up my car for you guys to check out. It is a '79 Civic CVCC that I bought back in 2006. Since then, I have put in an Accord 1.8L engine from 1979 as well and done a slew of other things from replacing the dash to a bottom up paint job. The paint job, as you'll see in the pictures, isn't done yet, but I am at the point of needing final paint. Right now the car is with Adam Malley getting a "vintage" piece fabricated for it. When it comes back to me (in about 2/3 weeks..just before The Mitty), I have a set, in my garage, of Carroll Shelby 13x5.5 wheels waiting to be bolted up to it. Wel here are my pictures and I hope I'm able to get to The Mitty and see anyone, lolol.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
4/12/10 5:53 a.m.

I often think about those. They were once everywhere, like VW Rabbits, and now I can't remember the last time of seen one. Rust ate away all of them here in the northeast. That was the car that put Honda on the map in the US.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
4/12/10 6:14 a.m.

I hate when people do this, but I just have to. I had one just like that! Really, same color, same everything. It was one of the funnest slow cars I ever had. It's nice to see someone preserving one. Here in the rust belt, they didn't last too long. Post updates when you can. How about some pics of that engine?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
4/12/10 8:27 a.m.

I keep looking for an early cvcc; it's one of my favorite cars from my youth. Too many of them have returned to the earth already, so it's great to see one being preserved.

Can't wait to see it at the Mitty!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/12/10 10:31 a.m.

I just love those CVCCs! Thanks for posting, can't wait to see it at the Mitty. Super cool cars maybe the most important Honda?

Sounds kinda strange, but I can see a nice one of those bringing real $$$ at some point.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
4/12/10 11:31 a.m.

Great car! I had a 79 Accord but wanted one one these when I got the Accord. Amazing cars with incredible mileage and terrific build quality.

If you go to the Mitty you really should enter it in the Concours d' Lemons. Not because it is a Lemon, more because it is different and there is a class for it. The lemons entry gets you into the Mitty for Sunday. More info is here: http://concoursdlemons.com/

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/12/10 1:09 p.m.

That is awesome.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/12/10 1:28 p.m.

i don't think it's a stretch to say that and the Accord are the cars that put Honda on the map here. They used to be everywhere. Years ago when I was autocrossing my X1/9 in D Mod, I used to run against one. It was extremely quick and would definitely out accelerate my car, where the X would be faster through the corners. Always a toss up between the two depending on the course.

Oh, and it sounded cool too! Very nice car by the way!

nderwater
nderwater Reader
4/12/10 4:30 p.m.

My first car was a 1979 Honda Civic CVCC which I paid $250 for in 1994. It was almost as old as I was, but it hauled me through senior year and took every dent and ding I could throw at it ;)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/10 7:58 p.m.

My first dedicated race car was a '79 Civic 1200. Mine had some spots of surface rust, but it was incredibly solid for a '70s era Japanese car. It was just a terrific little car.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
4/13/10 1:42 a.m.

Thanks for all the comments, folks! I hope to have it back in time to make it.

Tom Heath wrote: I keep looking for an early cvcc; it's one of my favorite cars from my youth. Too many of them have returned to the earth already, so it's great to see one being preserved. Can't wait to see it at the Mitty!

Hey, Tom, this is Mike from Nostalgic Japanese Street Fighters (Dave/John), just in case you didn't know. Hope to see you, man.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/14/10 6:19 p.m.

I always liked the first gen Civic, fun little car. My second car was a '79 Accord hatchback with the 1.8 CVCC. That engine was a real PITA to work on, particularly the manifold bolts, and the engine accessories/belts were obviously afterthoughts. I really liked the car, thought, and it was easy to drive and fun to abuse. For a college freshman with cross country trips to do a couple of times, it was a GREAT first car. I agree with everybody above, the build quality was great. The designs were a little weird, but the quality was great.

I won't tell the story about the first gen Civic that we used for a rollover competition on this forum, that's like telling rotten food stories during Sunday dinner.

Bryce

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/25/10 9:47 p.m.

Just started lurking over here again.

I have some questions if you have the time. I am building one of these as a deadicated autcrosser. I am really making up a lot of this as I go along.

What have you done suspension wise? If you went with the 79 setup, I imgaine you just took the axel stubs if not the whole suspension. The same for the rear? What shocks? Accord brakes? No way those are the CVCC units.

How hard was that swap?

I know this is a lot, so whatever you can help, thanks.

So far mine has just gotten to the stripped stage.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
6/27/10 10:54 p.m.

^^^ Mine sits on heated/cut Civic EG springs.

I have some updated pics coming here in the next week.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
6/30/10 7:44 a.m.

There used to be some neat early Civics racing at Chimney Rock years ago. I always wanted one, but they are almost impossible to find now in rebuildable shape.

My wife and I actually test drove a barnd new mid 70s CVCC wagon right after we got married. We were big into camping, not posing and wanted a wagon. We passed on it and, fortunately, the Pinto wagon we later test drove. We even test drove Plymouth Volare wagons and loved the ones with the 318. Passed on that too. We finally bought a one owner 66 Mustang 289 4v. Not a camping vehicle at all.

isiktitan
isiktitan
8/27/13 7:36 p.m.

im actually selling an immaculate 1979 honda civic cvcc special edition 5 speed, yellow in color. anyone interested

Rupert
Rupert Reader
8/28/13 9:39 a.m.
isiktitan wrote: im actually selling an immaculate 1979 honda civic cvcc special edition 5 speed, yellow in color. anyone interested

I might be as well as several other people. A good start would be a picture or five.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RoyKl7tof0WqBLxgKMHjkV4eBlAHfMPAVGsnSNg5dgpulVPA2DNvz33lsqjHvyEU