alex
alex Dork
6/19/10 10:57 a.m.

I'm chuffed to see the Classic board over here, so I'm going to take the opportunity to selfishly violate message board etiquette and cross post a question I asked of the Vintage Racing board over on CMS.

tl;dr: Some of you may recall the fact that my dad picked up a '60 Catalina racer. The following (long) post asks the question of where/how to start racing the thing.

My father recently bought a '60 Catalina that has been used most recently for some form of circle track racing. It's gutted, caged (with a pretty serious-looking modern cage) and has a tubular front subframe/engine cradle that allows it to run a-arm suspension (which we don't think is biased for left turns, but we're not sure). Drivline consists of a Pontiac 400 backed with a 2 speed Powerglide, though we we intend to eventually replace that combination with a more period-appropriate 421/M-22.

Long story short, we'd like to make this season into sort of a shake-down/prep season, both for the car and ourselves. Neither of us have any significant track experience beyond a handful of motorcycle track days I've done. We're thinking of just basic HPDEs and such this season, then getting 'serious' next year. Also, keeping true to its recent nature by doing a little circle track racing is certainly not off the table. We're pretty much down for whatever.

So, I suppose I'm asking the braintrust to hold my hand and wade with me into the shallow end of the racing pool, with the eventual plans of tossing me into the deep end head first.

Care to help?

(This thread is useless without pics.)

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexcarlson/sets/72157624237913920/

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/20/10 9:24 a.m.

Alex, part of this depends where you are. Judging from plants in the picture, you are in the east, not the west. HSR will let that car run. They have a class for Stock cars, but this car will probably fit in with the Mustangs.

Get it safe and then start in the back of the pack and just get comfortable and work your way up.

Give Gary at our office a call (386) 239-0523 and he can get you fixed up with some back issues that cover how to get into vintage racing. It is a topic we have covered many times.

alex
alex Dork
6/20/10 10:17 a.m.

Thanks, Mr. Publisher. HSR is on our list of organizations to research.

For the sake of clarification, we're smack in the middle - St. Louis, to be exact. If I'm leaving out any other pertinent information (6'2", blue eyes, good cook, enjoys poetry and long walks on the beach), ask away.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/20/10 12:25 p.m.

Count me in for a potential sporadic help. Lots of trackside professional experience (TransAm/ALMS). 1.5 hours from you...

I likes some heavy metal and big stickies!

That thing is AWESOME!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/10 1:42 p.m.

That car looks incredible. I'd love to run a track day in the same session as that thing. I'd give a point by just to watch.

alex
alex Dork
6/20/10 9:55 p.m.

Clem, you're much more than welcome to serve as shepherd for any racing/track time we do. Our only requirement for the crew: denim bib overalls and straw hats; incredibly terrible cheap cigars are optional.

And yeah, it's pretty badass just sitting there. Hopefully it goes okay too.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/21/10 9:19 a.m.

I've got two pair of key overalls. One has a "Clem" patch on it (actually, that's where the alias came from).

alex
alex Dork
6/21/10 9:36 a.m.

You were made for this. You're in.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/21/10 11:25 a.m.

Very cool and very different!

I think the boss-man is probably right: HSR would probably be your best bet.

Most USA vintage clubs belong to the Vintage Motorsports Council. Typically, all VMC clubs accept each other's licenses, so that's a good place to look for an appropriate club.

http://www.v-m-c.org/members.html

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/21/10 9:31 p.m.

There is a new group running at Topeka. They have a big event the weekend after Monterey (so that is 3rd weekend in August).Check them out, as they are pretty close.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gBpCyJSUdn451lhSoWuDlrn08CkujPenxeDUR4ExaK3rcXwzS6JZSoRwPtMHhQGx