1 2 3
spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/3/15 11:58 a.m.
wspohn wrote: BTW, if you want racy car pics, TVR did a couple old auto shows in the 1970s with nude models.

I very fondly remember the Norton ads from the early 70s. And there was no nudity.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/3/15 2:26 p.m.

Vintage Ridgid Tool posters from the seventies and eighties are tastefully done and I wouldn't hesitate to put one in my garage. But probably nothing more provocative than that, and not because of my wife. She's pretty liberal in that respect. It's just that I never know who might stroll into my garage when I'm out there working in the summer with the doors open. That could be embarrassing. Good afternoon pastor. Would you like a glass of lemonade while you study my wall art?

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
3/3/15 6:43 p.m.

Yeah - there were some great Norton, BSA and Triumph posters that my older brother had in his bedroom. Somehow he was allowed, but I was discouraged from spending time in there 'staring'.....

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
3/6/15 11:20 a.m.

1971 Earl's Court

http://www.tvr-car-club.co.uk/images/about_tvr/new05/tuscan_nude.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f-0YSe9ZOVA/TYDjOh6-31I/AAAAAAAACTs/ghbAJ_H_XI8/Susans+Shaw+TVR+motorshow+%283%29.jpg

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/8/15 4:20 p.m.

Eh, i think the objectification of women in car media is one of the reasons there are so few women who are actually, independently interested in cars.

I've stopped hating the crap, but i still think it does the hobby a lot more harm than good.

I actually cancelled my subscription to hot rod magazine many moons ago because of the yearly issue they did plastering women over cars. I've never subscribed to any mag that does that since then.

If you have to pay women to act like they're interested, you're probably doing it wrong.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/8/15 8:44 p.m.
Vigo wrote: If you have to pay women to act like they're interested, you're probably doing it wrong.

I have to agree! I've always expected women to pay me!

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
3/8/15 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

" i think the objectification of women in car media is one of the reasons there are so few women who are actually, independently interested in cars."

I very seriously doubt that's the reason.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/10/15 9:35 p.m.

Well, if there were more women who weren't independently interested in cars in here to tell you about the reasons they're not interested, we could get a better feel for it, but alas, your opinion will go on unrefuted and uninformed by female opinion, and all will be right with the patriarchy.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
3/11/15 8:03 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Eh, i think the objectification of women in car media is one of the reasons there are so few women who are actually, independently interested in cars. I've stopped hating the crap, but i still think it does the hobby a lot more harm than good. I actually cancelled my subscription to hot rod magazine many moons ago because of the yearly issue they did plastering women over cars. I've never subscribed to any mag that does that since then. If you have to pay women to act like they're interested, you're probably doing it wrong.

I don't think that's the reason either....and, in case you missed it, men have been paying women to act interested since, well, since there've been men and women.

Having said that -- I buy car and motorcycle publications to read about and look at cars and motorcycles. Anything else is an unwanted distraction.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/11/15 6:56 p.m.
Gary wrote: Vintage Ridgid Tool posters from the seventies and eighties are tastefully done and I wouldn't hesitate to put one in my garage. But probably nothing more provocative than that, and not because of my wife. She's pretty liberal in that respect. It's just that I never know who might stroll into my garage when I'm out there working in the summer with the doors open. That could be embarrassing. Good afternoon pastor. Would you like a glass of lemonade while you study my wall art?

Wow what a difference I'm seeing here in mainline religions in North America! As an Episcopalian I expect to enjoy wine, Bloody Marys, and/or good Scotch or Bourbon whiskeys after every service, in the parish hall. And when spending time in England I usually attend Anglican services there, the Anglicans also serve similar libations to what I'm used to after their service.

And afterwards, we all repair to the village pub and watch the children of that parish play in the grounds of the pub, which was often located on or adjacent to, the church grounds.

Are there conventions? Of course! The ladies often have a hay-pint of beer, a Shandy, or a half ration of stronger offerings. And the children can order drinks at the bar as well, but nothing containing booze until they are sixteen. However, those children dining with their family are allowed to consume wine, while dining with their parents.

Bottom line? Those who grow up where consumption of wines or other libations is normal, usually don't binge drink! Long story short, if booze is the forbidden fruit we all will drink heavily at our first chance, and then, you are probably in huge trouble! But when booze has always been a normal part of your daily life, it's no big deal. Isn't that where we in the US really want our children to be?

BTW: Conviction numbers throughout Europe are truly obvious. Those who have allowed to enjoy libations in their early days of life are much less likely to over imbibe anytime during the rest of their life!

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
3/11/15 7:09 p.m.
Long story short, if booze is the forbidden fruit you will drink heavily at your first chance.

Grew up in the U.S. -- never 'drank heavily' at any point. Can't stand the taste of any of it -- exception being a glass of late-harvest (sweet) riesling every once in a while.

There's not a one-size-fits-all when it comes to consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or issues associated with such consumption.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/11/15 7:21 p.m.

In reply to MichaelYount: Read the rest of the story! I admit, most of my postings need a little editing. I will also say your experience has nothing to do with the norm or averages.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/12/15 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Rupert:

The lemonade would only be for the pastor. If it was mid-day, I'd have a beer or two, and wouldn't be ashamed of that.

Also, after 5:00 pm (or 11:00 am if the situation warrants), I'm not averse to a glass or two of J Lohr Cabernet, or three fingers of Famous Grouse scotch with a few rocks, or a couple Beefeater gin martinis, touch of vermouth, up, with olives, served well-chilled. The olives have to be the big ones without pimentos, and three of them. You'd be surprised how many bartenders don't know how to make a good martini.

(No frozen slush drinks for me).

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/12/15 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Gary: Few bartenders know how to make a good Martini! I can't argue that! Most try to insert fluids that have never been a part of a Martini!

But in our church the rector, pastor, priest, whatever is often the guy with the best Martini and/or Margarita recipe. Order a Margarita at most places including "Mexican"and it is such a hugely sweet waste, why bother??!!

A good Margarita, based on my years in So. Cal. & living with a Mexican family, has no added sugar or sugar sauce! A Margarita has tequila, triple sec, & salt on the rim. Two parts tequila, one part triple sec, a little ice, (optional) served in a scotch style 2 oz. glass. You're done!

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/13/15 8:35 a.m.

That simple margarita recipe appeals to me, Rupert. I just might try it! In fact, poster bravenrace started a Friday afternoon/evening thread on the Off-Topic Discussions a few weeks ago mentitled "Well that didn't take long" about imbibing alcoholic beverages on Friday after work (ideally). It's turning into a weekly Friday thing on the forum. If you don't mind I'll suggest your margarita recipe over there. I'll be sure to give you credit for it!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/13/15 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Gary:Funny you would say that! During my 20+ years in the automobile supplier industry I experienced the feeling that timing and discussion at the correct venue almost always worked.

The best way to make an unhappy mainline auto producer customer understand your situation, problem, was always a trip to Hooters! After a few beers, margaritas, & a lot of visual stimulation at lunch time, our customers almost always had a better understanding of the problems that made our product less than perfect on any given day.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/17/15 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Rupert:

A long, long time ago (mid-eighties) when it was still acceptable in our business to bring customers to a "gentlemens club" in the evening as entertainment, our sales manager and I brought 3-4 engineers from Chrysler Kokomo to one of the classier, more upscale establishments in Providence. (There were many to choose from then and just as many today, but not all of them are classy or upscale). We were in the middle of a rigorous and grueling acceptance test for a piece of equipment we'd sold Chrysler, and we all needed a break. Turned out that one of them was a deeply religious man, deacon at his church, Boy Scout troop master, etc. which we didn't know. He kept his head down the whole time and did not appear to be having fun. Needless to say we recognized he wasn't too pleased with our choice of venues so we didn't stay long. And no, we didn't buy him a lap dance. But the other guys were good with the entertainment and fortunately all went well the next day and they signed off on the equipment. But that was the last time we took customers to a gentlemens club.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/17/15 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Gary: Taken customers to many. Been taken as a customer to many as well. I always thought it was better than being taken on those "hunts" where guys got together and shot animals raised on a hunting farm! I did that once & that was once too many for me!

I've also bought beer from outdoor vending machines in Japan and at the lunch counters in several BMW factories in Bavaria. Morning break, a litre of beer and a fresh made pretzel. Doesn't get much better than that!

Before everything became P.C., those activities, like smoking and the three martini lunch were considered the norm. However I do assume the Bavarians still serve beer in their plants.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/17/15 2:38 p.m.

Last time I was over there, our factory in Germany no longer served. That's a shame. The last time I was at our factory in Italy outside Turin they still had beer and wine taps in the canteen. I don't know if they were operational. I didn't try, and I didn't see anybody else partaking either. I guess being PC has hit Europe too. Or maybe it's the safety police.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/17/15 2:39 p.m.

So now, about those retro girly posters we were talking about ...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/17/15 8:00 p.m.
Having said that -- I buy car and motorcycle publications to read about and look at cars and motorcycles. Anything else is an unwanted distraction.

Watch what you say in this crowd or they'll probably take you for a 'closeted feminist'.

I'm slightly tempted to ask why y'all think i am wrong about the objectification of women in car culture turning women away from it, but while there is a strong chance of amusement, there's also a chance it's just going to make me mad, so whatever.

I teach automotive at a vocational school and while i don't have a magic bullet for it i do at least think vaguely about trying to make sure my small cadre of female students don't feel that the gender breakdown in the classes creates issues for them. I have some observations but i'll save them for a different audience.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/18/15 4:22 a.m.

When a woman enters into a male-dominated field or hobby she should expect to put up with some 'guy stuff'. I don't think it would be much different if a man decided to join into a knitting bee or a quilting. He would be expected to put up with listening to a lot of pointless gossip about other women or dissection of the latest 50 Shades book.

Men and women are different. Trying to avoid the fact is futile.

Granted, there is a limit to what can be considered normal vs hostile (and each person will have a different idea of that threshold) but this ongoing attempt to ignore masculinity everywhere is pretty futile. I've found there is quite a chasm between actual equality and what now is termed 'feminism'.

whiteryder
whiteryder
3/18/15 2:38 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Good point, I agree. However if the quilting bee conversation involved a lot of man bashing, even if it were prefaced with "present company excepted of course!", I'd expect the lone male attendee would feel somewhat uncomfortable. Similarly, if all a potential-petrol-head gal ever hears is guys talking about boobs or dissing their wives, she might eventually decide to invest her time in a different hobby.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
3/21/15 1:41 p.m.

I love this series of MG ads!

Been trying to find poster sized prints for ages to no avail...

wspohn wrote: I've been looking for one of these for the garage (MGB sales poster)
JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick Reader
3/28/15 9:15 p.m.

I am looking for a 1991 Matco Tool car/girl calendar for my shop. I have the one page (of my car) but would like the whole calendar.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
V97QoklAahNlgqaWM9sQTA1ZSUn8wlfPUwZSrkfyE530I2QC9ExAohOEVVZr3uoI