1 2
BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69
9/7/19 12:53 a.m.

Anyone here know anything about these hatchbacks? Picked one up that had been siting for a few years and it runs/drives pretty good but Has a few issues. Done tried some toyota forums and its like talking in a ghost town.

Ill go into more detail if i get any replies

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/7/19 11:18 a.m.

Welcome!  I guarantee that lots of folks here will have what you need... but you ought to be in the GRM forum.  I'll ask the Mods to move you over. 

PS We love details.

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/7/19 10:01 p.m.

1. First couple of days it had to have a little gas dripped in the carb on first start each day altho thats cleared up it seems.

2.  Its started having a litlle hesitation at steady hwy speeds and some times takes a few secs to crank up and  it has a bit of run on after it is shut off sometimes.....Edit this is getting worse now.

3. The brakes are just awful.....they basically go to the floor before they start grabbing and have alot of pulsing like warped rotors..Edit brakes are alot better now but still feels like it needs rotors maybe.

4. Need a headlight assembly and taillight but seems all i can find are sedan parts...even the parts house cant look windshield wipers because it bring up the sedan which are different sizes......Edit...I believe 87-88 nova seald beam buckets will bolt in so im thinking about doin that instead of messing with thes broke composite lighs.

5. Pretty sure it needs motor/trans mounts replaced as its pretty clunky on acell/decell.

6. Can i delete all this god awful spaghetti monste of egr/emissions/vacum crap? I just want one line from carb to distributor advance....ive always done it to all my old ford trucks etc with nothing but benefits but im totally unfamiliar with toyota or anything non ford for that matter really..

7. FX 16 gts have rear disc brakes... Can this be swapped to rear disc using those parts? Are possibly mr2 disc be put on?

8.  Are there any aftermarket bodykits/look good parts that fit this?

9. It had brand new tires put on not long before it was parked but as you can imagine they are a little dryrotted now Id like to find a nice set of aftermarket deepdish (as deep dish as possible) 13 14 or 15inch 5 spoke rims for it before i buy new tires....Any recomendations that wont break the bank? Lug patteren is 4x100? i want the tires to come out even with the body but not stick out all gawdy like...half inch would probaly be my limit.

10. Would like to motor swap it over the winter. or maybe even sooner...From what ive seen 4afe or 7afe is the recomennded swaps....i think id prefore the tourqe of the 7afe over the 4afe. 7afe's are all over the place here locally with 100,000 miles or less and they are cheap....can get motors with wiring computer etc for less than 500 bucks just not sure what year ranges work better....corollas geo prizims etc. I just need specific make model years etc that would be best donor and to know exactly what to get besides motor engine harness and computer. Is the 7afe a direct bolt in replacement for the 4a as far as motor mounts go?

11. Does anyone have a fx16/gts instrument cluster laying around?

12. Need exhaust advice as my flexpipe is is bad shap and the muffler is rotted off the end of the exhaust pipe. Do not want a fart can on this....cant stand them.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/9/19 7:18 a.m.

Thread moved, hopefully you get some more responses now

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/9/19 10:58 a.m.

3) What you can/should do depends on what tools you have access to. At a minimum, you should drain and fully replace all your brake fluid for fresh- the stuff is hygroscopic (spelling?) meaning it LOVES water, and that keeps it from functioning as hydraulic fluid- something you don't want! Since the pads are cheap I would just do a whole brake job. If your rubber lines are rotted out, the MR2 guys have stainless steel braided lines I *THINK* should bolt on no-problem.

4) I think it shares parts with the MR2 again for headlamps, but research is needed.

5) You will. Be warned tho, almost everything is poly now and you're also gonna need to 'strengthen' the torque sites by making a plate to weld in.

7) MR2 discs can be used. I don't *THINK* you need a bigger proporting valve, but I could be wrong.

9) Find and post you're current offset and tire specs.

10) 7A-FE and 4A-GE are direct swaps, but you'll need to check if you're clutch is a 206mm or a 212mm. This can be found on MR2 forums. It also doesn't matter what 7A block you use- they're all 4A blocks with a stroker crank and the 7AGE guys really haven't found any differences. For the record, you're gonna want to make a 7AGE- it requires some light modding but makes a little 150HP beast stock.

11) Post a picture. an AW11 MR2 cluster might work as well.

_
_ HalfDork
9/9/19 12:32 p.m.

Carbed? Even better. 7age+side draft carbs for amazing boner intensifying sound effects+keepin’ It simple. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/9/19 2:10 p.m.

#4 The headlight assemblies are specific to the FX/FX16.  There is a plastic piece that holds a ball end for adjustment within the assembly.  If that is still there, very carefully wire and JB weld them.  My guess is those headlights are already pointed skyward.  Not sure of a fix.

#7 FX16 brakes will bolt up.  MR2 rears are different.

#8 No body kits that I know of.  Japan, Australia and New Zealand may have something.

#9 15x7 wheels are the biggest you will want to go.  Along with 195/50-15 tires.  Lots of tire choices in that size.  Don't go bigger, it will not handle well.

Look for FX16 forums.  There are a couple of active Facebook forums.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/9/19 2:13 p.m.

Steel brake lines are available.  '88-91 Corolla listing are the same.

Steel brake Lines

Yes, these GTS parts will fit you FX.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/19 2:35 p.m.
trucke said:

#9 15x7 wheels are the biggest you will want to go.  Along with 195/50-15 tires.  Lots of tire choices in that size.  Don't go bigger, it will not handle well.

You might be able go a little bigger but it gets difficult very quickly. 205/50/15s on 15x7s *may* fit and feel very similar to 195/50/15s. To go any bigger requires serious mods or seriously messed-up offset.

To make room for 225/45/15s on 15x8 +25s (stock offset is +36 but +25 works well) I had to run fully threaded coilovers with a very careful choice of springs and sway bar links for packaging reasons, the mods and compromises needed to go wider than that without causing interference get really stupid really fast. When you go beyond 8" wide wheels you start hitting the control arms and/or sway bar in the front (fix: deleted or custom sway bar setup, and custom control arms!) and the bodies of even the thinnest shocks in the rear (can only be fixed by massively spacing the wheel outward, or a pushrod & bellcrank conversion!)

I've also seen someone jam 215/40R17s onto one of these, looks cool in a concept car sort of way but not a great idea from a performance standpoint.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/9/19 2:42 p.m.

We had an 88 FX and it was most definitely fuel injected.  Also, it was a GM/Yota collaboration so you may be able to find some parts through GM.  I remember a few thousand miles in, the rad split and left my mom stranded, had General Motors or maybe GM embossed in big, crappy plastic letters which further drove my family away from American made cars.  It was 1989, i cant blame them.

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/10/19 7:57 a.m.

Sleepyhead...Thx for moving it.

Is there no multiqoute? 

Had some dash/cluster lights out so i changed all lights to red leds other than blinker indicators/high beam indicator/Defroster switch/the two ac buttons and low fuel light....those got white leds......Need to add a glove box light rear dome light and ashtray light. Fun fact...factory ashtray light is fiber optic from cigarette lighter.....It sucks btw but is just cool as hell that they had fiberoptics in the 80s.

Brakes.....Im going to just replace front rotors and pads for now as it feels like it may have a warped rotor......Once i figure out exactly what i need to do the rear disc conversion ill completely redo the brake system front to back.....i did find a post on using mr2 front rotors as a larger? upgrade rotor i believe but i need to go back and re-read it unless one of you guys can tell me exactly what i need....same on the fx16 rear disc parts need....obviously rotor and caliper but how does the caliper mount?

Found the motor mounts.

Headlights...one is broke completely around the ball and was looking at the sky lol but stuff enough junk behind it and its fixed....ish. I have a 88 or 89 tercel with single sealed beam lights and i can make those fit and look factory from what i can tell and also 87-88 nova is the same car from dash forward and has dual sealed beams that will fit although i will need the grille and hood but idk if id rather go single sealed or dual sealed beams.....either way the composite lights are goin to be history.

Cluster...Just did a quick search of the mr2 cluster and it looks very similar but id rather have the fx16 cluster.....also saw a few 80-90s digital clusters that would be sweet to swap in.

7afe swap....Ive done some research on the 7age and would realy like to do that if im going to do a swap....150 ponies sounds like a blast :p. Once again tho all info i found is so scattered and cobbled together with broken pics and links i just cant make heads or tails of it all and would like it in one consolidated spot.....What all is needed other than the 7afe and 4qage head? Honestly i could go buy everything now if i had a solid plan laid out in front of me. Also saw a writeup on a 6speed swap in a ae92 i think....is that possible on the ae82 fx?

Vacuum delete......I did a full vacuum delete night before last along with all vacuum canisters etc.....So far it seems to run better and feels spunkier and way more responsive with no lag when stomping the gas and so far no more runon after turning the key off.....only vacuum line is from carb to distributor.....i used the bottom port on the distributor as that was the line i couldnt get off so its the one that got used.....is there any one of the three that should be used over the other? It still idles like  complete crap tho....barley idles...spits and sputters...smells funny....has a wierd fluttery sound in the exaust....it did this before  so the vacuum delete did not cause or effect it.  Also have not deleted the egr valve yet.

Rims/tires......in need of tires pretty bad....Atm its still rocking factory steel wheels and factory size tires...170/70/13 i believe is whats on there....Trucke....i belive your the one with the white fx16 and the lenso vpd's correct? So far those are the closest things ive seen to something i like...the wheels i can find but the tires in your size are almost impossible to find......any other tire size that will fit those and not be dinky? Or any 5 spoke 14 or 15s so i can use a size like you recommended earlier? i apparently suck at looking for rims without know make and model of rim.....only thing i care about is 5 spoke and maybe 6 spoke and not flush spokes or badly curved outward spokes if that makes sense. 

Exaust.....Any headers that fit the 4ac? or any that can be modified to fit fairly easy? At minimum ive got to get the factory flex pipe replace asap....also im getting rid of the cat as im in florida and we have no inspections etc.

Gotta replace alternator as its not charging the battery but the charge light aint coming on ( yes it comes on with key in run position) and car dont die when i pull off battery cable.....never seen one not charge but still keep car running???

Thx for the replies guys....I was beginning to lose hope on getting any help with this little guy and i really love driving this.....this is by far the funnest car to drive ive ever had. Its been getting all kinds of attention lately and most think its a tercel lol...People come up and start sayin they aint seen a tercel on the road since the 90s XD

GameboyRMH
9/10/19 10:30 a.m.

Here's a good guide to assembling a "7AGE"

http://www.matrixgarage.com/content/getting-most-out-your-7a-ge-hybrid-build

The car's probably running 14x6 wheels with 185/65R14s. 15x7s, anywhere from +25 to +36 offset with 195/50R15s are the easy button for wheels and tires...your requirements for wheels are quite specific but I'll list some that I like: Advanti Storm series wheels, especially S1s - they all have more than 6 spokes but they're not flush or protruding, Konig Dial-Ins (many spokes and protrude very slightly near where the spokes meet the rim, not very visible), Kosei K1/K1R - 6 spokes but they're flat, I like them.

Don't pull off the battery cable while the car is running, that lets terrible electrical noise into your electronics that could damage something.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/10/19 1:25 p.m.

The stock 4AGE ECU can run a 7AGE motor with stock cams at ~140 HP and 150 torque, though that really leaves performance on the table. A properly spec'ed 7AGE can get up to 200HP through megasquirt ECU and aftermarket cams, though you have to be careful of your compression if you want to keep the bottom end stock and complete.

A 6-speed swap is possible- many who do actually just take the guts from a C-series 6 speed trans along with the tail end and shove the guts into a standard USDM C-52 trans- which is a LOT of work for one more interstate gear.

GameboyRMH is right about tires. New bushings and fresh brakes will WAKE those cars up. Suspension wise, start small with springs and shocks before going coils.

I think there might have been 4AC headers, but at it's size and displacement- are you really getting anything from it?

Also, stick with the stock 4AGE intake unless you go ITBs or bike carbs. If you do bike carbs, Driving4Answers on youtube here has done that for his MR2 and what to expect on a 4AGE.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/10/19 1:33 p.m.

Look at TireRack.com for wheels to fit a BMW E30.  Those will fit the FX.  Miata wheels typically do not have the proper offset for the FX.

I don't run the Lenso's 13" anymore as tires are not readily available in sizes to fit.  Hoosiers would fit, but I really don't need to spend that kind of $$ to have fun at an autocross.

Pretty sure I have the instrument cluster you seek.

Going to bigger front rotors will not help your stopping.  For street and autocross it just increases unsprung weight.  My FX16 had the larger rotors with the stock calipers.  Changed it back to stock.  It works better stock with Hawk HPS pads.

GameboyRMH
9/10/19 1:49 p.m.

Yeah the low-end brake setup (solid discs front and drums rear) is perfectly good for autocross and most street driving that wouldn't get you arrested. The only advantage of the bigger brake setup is increased heat capacity/dissipation, and the disadvantage is unsprung weight. Also the AE9x rear disc setup includes many high-enriched unobtanium parts, some of which I am hoarding the last of, so if you wanted to swap to rear discs you'd be better off using AE10x or AE11x parts, although some custom bracketry is required.

All the stock brake setups, especially the discs-all-around setup, already have plenty of forward bias, they do well with more rearward bias.

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/10/19 11:48 p.m.

So keep stock front brakes...Got it. Ill just replace rotors and get a good set of pads.....Drums i dont deal with....they either work or dont and if they leak they get blocked off. Custom brackets for rear disc is no problem...Just need a parts list.

Thx for that info and links.....I do alot of interstate driving and go on cross county roadtrips each year so i feel like a 6 speed would be worth it for me.  I do need to do some suspension work as the more i drive the more rattles and clunks im starting to hear.....Ill be keeping the suspension stock most likley for the foreseeable future.....I may decide to lower it a little down the road but that would be the extent for now.  As far as header goes theres no reason not to since the entire exhaust system is rotted out.....but no need in finding 4alc headers if im going to be swapping to a 7a....what size exhaust pipe is on these cars? 1 3/4?

Trucke...You still have the lensos laying around? I can get VITOUR Formula 215/50R13 84H RWL for 400 shipped...Alot cheaper than the mudterrains ive been buyin for my truck twice a year for the last few years lol.  What would you take for the cluster?

im debating on doin an A/C delete as it hasnt worked in god knows howlong....compressor pulley is squeaking and the condenser fins are crumbling....Has any one done this? Any idea what shorter replacement belt to get?

7age...Looks like the rods are the main thing to doin a proper 7age build? Who all makes awap rods? that site thinks there rods are made out of gold while the rest of the swap parts seem very reasonable.....or am i just being a cheap ass? 200hp sounds extra fun....id be happy with 150 tho...atleast for a while lol. Ive never delt with custom ecm tuning or megasquit etc but its definetly goin to be FI as i hate carbs with a passion....Id rather deal with wiring than have to mess with a carb.

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/12/19 6:33 a.m.

Ordered some motor mounts and brake parts...should be in next week...Gonna patch up exhaust today hopefully. Changed plugs last night...old plugs looked whiteish/tan and flaky/ashy. Carb kit should be here today so gonna try an rebuil it....this should be interesting. Changed hatch struts.....still dont fully unlatch sometimes but its better than it was....Suspension work in the near future.

Trucke....I was gonna pm you but it keeps telling me to login even though im obviously logged in.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/12/19 8:54 a.m.

Here is the instrument cluster.  The reset button seems to be missing.  You should be able to use the one from your cluster.  This came out of a parts car, so I have no idea about it's operation.  The cover is also available.  PMing you.

GameboyRMH
9/12/19 9:15 a.m.

Since you plan on using this car for autocross I recommend filling those motor mounts with 3M window-weld, they'll last much longer and make the car feel more solid.

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/12/19 9:24 a.m.

Trucke...I dont even see anywhere to check pms? and Gameboy its just gonna be a daily driver for now till i get my truck finished....Got a 95 f150 4x4 im putting a coyote 5.0 10 speed auto and the 4 mode tcase out of a 2018 f150 in it.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/12/19 9:40 a.m.

The PM feature shoots the message to your email address.  Check there!

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/12/19 9:46 a.m.

Ahh ok. Got it....it was in my junk folder

trucke
trucke SuperDork
9/12/19 2:00 p.m.

In reply to BEEFKING69 :

Story of my life!cryinglaugh

BEEFKING69
BEEFKING69 New Reader
9/12/19 3:10 p.m.