John Webber
John Webber
11/24/22 8:00 a.m.

Carroll Shelby’s Cobra is perhaps the world’s most copied sports car. Sixty years after it first thrilled enthusiasts, countless builders are still having a go at it. 

But respected Cobra restorer David Wagner decided not to build another Cobra. Instead, he chose to replicate, in obsessive detail, an AC Ace, the elegant, British-built roadster that started it all. In fact, …

Read the rest of the story

Flyman615
Flyman615 New Reader
11/24/22 11:18 a.m.

Fabulous project story and accomplishment! Thanks for sharing!

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
11/24/22 11:27 a.m.

I would prefer driving the AC Bristol.  It's closer to the original design.  The Cobras are what they are and much too much power for me.  Plus, you talk to the average person and tell them it is NOT a Cobra.    Raw power is all about getting it to the wheels.  What's the sense of so much power that the car breaks away.  That's just me.  I prefer less power ( but not underpowered) so I can go through the gears without fish tailing on every shift.  Bravo to the Bristol!!

bertbrown
bertbrown
11/24/22 12:27 p.m.

Thanks for the great article about Dave Wagner's Aces.  He told me that it was coming out.

What is not mentioned in the article is the fact Allen Buresh constructed 3 Ace bodies, with the first one going on an original Ace Bristol that is in my garage.  My car had been wrecked at Laguna Seca in 1958 and was in need of a body.   So what to do?  Checking with shops in England meant they wanted me to ship the chassis over there and wait.  I didn't care for that solution.

I worked for an engineering company here in California and we did lots of laser scanning for our clients, so I borrowed our scanner for a weekend and used it to scan an original 2-owner Ace Bristol located not too far from me.  Then working directly with Allen Buresh of Coachsmithing I knew he needed to cover some tooling costs.  So I called old friend Dave Wagner and popped the question, would you like to participate in this endevour and help defer some upfront costs?  Lo and behold, he signed up for 2 bodies!  

That said, Dave works in fine detail, but with lightning speed.  While Dave has been driving his two Aces, mine is just now nearly ready for paint!

Bert Brown

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/24/22 12:33 p.m.

Gorgeous car.

I've driven a real 1965 Cobra and I would love to drive an Ace, just for comparison. I bet the Bristol engine is plenty of power for that chassis.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/24/22 12:44 p.m.

When I read that article in my magazine. I was waiting to ask if he built two Aces to offset the cost of just one. Build the two of them and then sell one. But that question I assume was answered. He has both that he drives.  I enjoyed reading about that build and how they came to life.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/24/22 5:55 p.m.

Is the Bristol motor the same as the early 1950s motor that was based on the Prewar BMW 328 motor ?

bertbrown
bertbrown New Reader
11/24/22 6:45 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Yes

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/24/22 8:53 p.m.

And is there any info on the 3D printed body panels that were used to stretch form alloy panels ?

sounds like it might be interesting for a few small panels I would like to form , 

Thanks for any info

bertbrown
bertbrown New Reader
11/24/22 9:41 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Talk to Allen Buresh at Coachsmithing.  (google Coachsmithing)  He is in Wisconsin.  Allen also shows his work on Instagram.

Geno1
Geno1 New Reader
4/18/23 11:16 a.m.

An Ace or a Cobra?  It's neither.  It's a Wagner.  A gorgeous creation that melds the two together. Wouldst that I had a fraction of the talent it took to create this.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/18/23 12:27 p.m.

A friend showed me this car at Amelia this year and I loved it so much I bought it. Picking it up this afternoon!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
4/20/23 10:41 p.m.

Ah ha! He did build two to off set the price of one!! 

SSpro
SSpro New Reader
4/8/24 11:18 a.m.

I once owned BEX1128 that was converted in the very early days of Cobra's with a 260ci. I sold it in 1986 and wish today that I had kept it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Jw4JtVgkJijR5qmcMmg9znlQ0gHGf5A3apBGRJN1U8D1qzE0pfaE6AAh6VVDuvG