volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/12/15 8:06 a.m.

As I was driving around Baltimore a few days ago, I spotted an old Benz in the corner of my eye. It was sitting fairly abandoned-looking in the empty parking lot of a sorta-sketchy part of town, near a liquor store. I didn't have time to stop, so I took the following quick, very craigslist-worthy cell-phone picture:

IMG-20150209-02828

Yesterday, finding myself in the same part of town, I got some cajones and went in to the liquor store to inquire about the car. Behind a very thick glass partition, I spoke with a fellow who managed to convey to me in a thickly Asian-influenced English that the car was his, and he might be interested in selling it, that it ran, and that the gas tank had some problem.

I took some more pictures:

IMG-20150211-02869

IMG-20150211-02873

IMG-20150211-02874

IMG-20150211-02872

IMG-20150211-02870

IMG-20150211-02871 (1)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/15 8:52 a.m.

Here's what I can tell you about that car.

1. Fuel Filter is good.
  2. Needs a battery.
  3. Run.
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/12/15 9:19 a.m.

Yeah. It has severe rocker rust (as in, most of the rockers are missing) and the floor is swiss-cheesy. I'm trying to pare down my automotive projects, but I love these old fintails and thought maybe someone here might be interested. Given its current condition, it's either a pretty involved project or a parts car, though.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/12/15 9:20 a.m.

Oh, and the windshield's cracked.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/13/15 3:50 p.m.

I had a 190 Diesel with that body style while I was in high school. I took it down to a bare shell--glass out, interior out, drivetrain out, the whole nine yards--and "restored" it in my parents' garage. It was a lot rustier than the one in the pictures and I had to replace a collision-damaged rear quarter panel with a good used one from a junkyard. I remember getting factory rocker panels from the dealer for $60/each (1982 dollars) and they fit perfectly. Looking back, I don't know how I ever finished it, it was so much work. I had done jobs nearly that big on a couple of MGs and some VWs and remember being so impressed with the quality of the car and the replacement parts. I guess that's why I stuck with it.

Of course, at the end of the project, I realized I had a diesel four door sedan that did 0-60 in about 40 seconds, so I sold it to go back to an MGB.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/15 2:26 a.m.

If you want a heckflosse it'll be cheaper to buy a rust free one from the west coast and ship it to you. They're pretty affordable here in California and you'll probably pay the same for purchase+shipping as you would for an fair condition east coaster. I was going to buy one in VA. They rust way too easy on the east coast.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/15 7:51 a.m.

Damn you people! I was out in the nether regions 20 miles from home to buy some snow shoes and saw a Heckflosse tucked under an overhang behind a barn. Black with a white roof.

Before you guys, I never would have noticed .....

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/14/15 9:45 a.m.

It's nearly almost always easier to buy a rust-free western car and ship it back. That's why I mentioned a car like this is basically a parter. A shame, but unless you really enjoy or want to practice rust repair (or just want to drive it until it breaks in half) that's the economic reality.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DpaRaDFxbjkHznU1xdVv8hgNKcSl7qaK9F716ql7gPfUWrSo0yfOPfjHWB72DYmK