Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
7/7/09 3:41 p.m.

Am I smoking crack, or was there a Opel Gt thread here yesterday, that seems to have disappeared?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/7/09 3:47 p.m.

Sorry bout that. Got lost in the server move (along with a few others).

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/7/09 3:49 p.m.

And after all the work I did digging up those old road tests too.

2 patio demerits for you, Mr Baxter.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/7/09 3:52 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv: Give Tim a break, he's had a bad day. -Doug

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/7/09 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Coupefan: If anyone really is dying for it to be restored, I actually have it on my home computer. I could probably find a way to upload it with Tim's help, but I think that one may have run its course. The guy with the GT gave the guy who was looking for one a really excellent info pack on parts sources and owners groups, so I think he has what he needs. Dave came up with the R&T group test issue from 1971, so I'm not sure there is anything anyone else could add that would help. -Doug

Carson
Carson HalfDork
7/7/09 6:00 p.m.

I started that thread and was unable to read any of the responses before the server swap and it disappeared.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/7/09 6:33 p.m.

I am the guy with the Opel GT that replied but I don't remember everything I said. I'll highlight though. There are more sources for Opel GT's than everyone thinks. There are 2 primary sources with several more linked to them. The first is the active forum OpelGT.com, It is access to a wealth of knowledge from Opel owners across the world. There is someone on that site that has expreinced about everything possible on Opels and more than willing to share. The other is the best parts source. Opel GT Source. Best viewed on other browsers besides MS Internet Explorer. You will find more available for the GT than other Opel models such as the Manto and 1900 (Ascona) although the Manta and Ascona are very good to modify - more room under the hood.

Finding a restorable one can be difficult. Most have rotted away or sit abandoned. An awful lot of them lost to misguided attempts at engine swaps in them, primarily for drag racing. Lots of people don't think it through and don't realize the original engine compartment is too small for a V8 plus a sub-frame is needed as they are unibody cars. In fact only the hood and doors unbolt to come off, the rest of the car is welded together. After checking out the links posted and/or you still have questions I'll expand more if you want. Of course I am biased and think the car is under-rated. I would like to see more restored or whatever as long as it's drivable and being used. It's no worse than other cars in it's class and era. Yeah the 240Z is probably a better car but they have thinner sheetmetal and are more expensive, even the MGB GT and TR GT6 is more expensive but about on par performance wise. I believe there is another guy on this (or GRM side) that also has Opels and CM did an atricle on one a few years ago, don't remember exactly when.

That's the jest of my original post.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/7/09 6:41 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3: Awesome, I was just looking for the file on my computer, but somehow it got overwritten, so I'm really glad you found the original author!!! Nice when things work out like that. I have to confess, I really was surprised that there was that much support out there. I had no idea that an Opel GT community of that size and organization existed.-Doug

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
7/7/09 6:54 p.m.

lets see if this makes it to the front line, Tim if you know anything about Astro-science, you never ever make a serious change on full moon. my 42 posts are down to 3.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/7/09 9:53 p.m.
Dpvog wrote: I had no idea that an Opel GT community of that size and organization existed.-Doug

Yeah, it's tight knit group although we are spread out. Rarely will you find more than just a few running in one area. The cars are rare enough that the only way to get support is through each other. Now if I can only get a guy locally to come off of just a few he owns. Last I talked with him he had about 80 GT's and 10-15 Manta's, 1900's and Kadett's plus a few other makes tossed in. He can't(won't) do anything with them and can't drive them either. Last I saw him a couple years ago he was about 84 yo and not in the best of health. Most are just rotting in a field at one his properties although the best are tucked away in a garage.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/7/09 10:07 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

Hope they're in a state with a semi-dry climate, or if not, then at least in the south. And if its in the midwest, kiss them goodbye, cause while they may still look like Opel GTs, I'm betting they'll crumble when touched. Why not just go there and strike up a conversation with the old guy, show an interest in his collection? Sometimes people who don't want to sell to a buyer with a fistful of cash, no matter how big the fist, will happily sell to someone they like. -Doug

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/8/09 8:01 a.m.

They are in north Alabama in a field with grass almost as high as the cars. I know him and have seen the cars several times. We used to get together for breakfast once in a while but the last few times I tried to meet he couldn't make it do to health issues. I've even offered my time to get the best running and/or catalog what he has and he just laughed. He is proud of his collection and likes to show them off though. He thinks someday they will be worth something. Admittedly, Opel GT's aren't worth as much as the more popular cars in it's class and era, such as the 240Z, MGB GT & TR GT6 although more rare to find. Personally I think that he believes if he gets rid of them would be to admit that he can't do anything to them. I watched my dad go through the same thing before he passed away. I hate to say it but it would probably be best to wait till they get passed on to his son that's isn't very interested in them.

Dpvog
Dpvog New Reader
7/8/09 8:25 a.m.

Sort of sad that he'll never get to enjoy seeing them used and driven, but I guess it must make him happy just to "have" them, even when having means that they're actually owned by the field mice who use them as a primary address. When this fellow passes and all those GTs hit the market, I bet it will be the biggest thing to happen to the GT community in 20 years. Could really spice things up for you guys is a serious way. -Doug

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ok2sEoZv3If8866gaTqpVFMts6ybIA9Temu5PxJ4B95qY3bvIKQoEA1bZZg3ITN6