Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/29/16 2:15 p.m.
feature_image

With our project ramp truck patched up and looking presentable, we decided it was time to try racing out of it. Our first two opportunities were a 24 Hours of Lemons race at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama, and then five weeks later at a vintage race in nearby Amelia Island Florida.

As Birmingham is a 600-mile tow for …

Read the rest of the story

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/29/16 2:50 p.m.

And some mud flaps!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/29/16 2:59 p.m.

At first I hoped you'd keep the vintage signage on the doors but that logo is very sharp. Also, at first glance I thought the removable ramp was decorative lattice work. She's looking very sweet but I smell some engine improvements coming. Otherwise, you'll lose 5 mph every time the AC compressor kicks in.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/29/16 4:46 p.m.

The TR3 just looks right sitting there. You're driving that around without A/C? You guys must have armpits of steel.

ntsqd
ntsqd GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/12/16 4:57 p.m.

I'm voting for a re-power with a 7.3L PSD & trans. Power and mileage (range) will both go up relative to that FE engine. Finding a 2wd donor truck shouldn't be too hard to do, and it'll have the A/C compressor already in place.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/17/16 7:11 a.m.

The truck now has A/C and cruise control with a tilt wheel and column from Iditit and a Gear Vendors overdrive. We have an Edelbrock Top end kit and have rebuilt and stroked the original 360 to 390 C.I. The final improvement will be Holley's new fuel injection set up. Don't worry, we will be able to make it to all of our events on time in relative comfort.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/17/16 4:03 p.m.

What will you be doing for exhaust? I suspect those 360 manifolds will be the new choke point on this car.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
7/17/16 4:20 p.m.

Ok I will Tint the truck for you No Problem

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/21/16 8:52 a.m.

Jerry, we have Hooker headers and dual exhuast with Magnaflos and crossover pipe. Sounds an runs real nice!

Karl, might take you up on that offer!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/16 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Some side pipes would be nice too.

200mph
200mph New Reader
8/4/16 8:25 a.m.

Tim, Looks great and "period correct"! Nice job.

trucke
trucke Dork
8/4/16 9:34 a.m.
RossD wrote: And some mud flaps!

I think they are mounted behind the cab.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/4/16 9:50 a.m.

In reply to trucke: Yeah, good eyes you guys. Ordered after that trip, for obvious reasons.

Karl La Follette
8/4/16 3:09 p.m.

Can Tint Truck at Challenge

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/4/16 10:25 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: The truck now has A/C and cruise control with a tilt wheel and column from Iditit and a Gear Vendors overdrive. We have an Edelbrock Top end kit and have rebuilt and stroked the original 360 to 390 C.I. The final improvement will be Holley's new fuel injection set up. Don't worry, we will be able to make it to all of our events on time in relative comfort.

Hot damn, that's a pile of upgrade!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/2/17 9:25 a.m.

Thanks guys! This has been a really fun, but difficult project.

Karl La Follette
3/4/17 11:14 a.m.

need paint protect on the bed lQQKS like behind cab door

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/4/17 12:15 p.m.

Wonder how the beasty moves with it's new heart? Great cool factor here.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/12/17 9:07 p.m.

Thanks everyone and Karl, we'll get with you about the windows.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVN9I5BFlxbFjGQDEBAPpBJJiVp3UsH2wa41eBnobm8treYGao7vynWxAfjsm41P