Peter Brock
Peter Brock
11/19/20 8:44 a.m.

About 50 years ago, I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Shelby American had been growing at an astounding rate due to our success with the Cobras. Our race shop was filled with an interesting assortment of super-talented racing types, including a smooth-talking, lanky ex-racer from Texas and a brilliant, self-taught engineer named …

Read the rest of the story

jerstrat
jerstrat
7/5/21 3:01 p.m.

All  heroes of history! I was in HS during that period and lusted for a Cobra and a GT350. I watched both race at Laguna Seca from my perch above the exit of the Corkscrew. Finally bought a '67 GT 500 many years later, and then a Series 1 car.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/16/21 10:20 p.m.

“It’s okay now, Lee, the SCCA has accepted the car, but you’ll have to let me build ’em here in California. When do you want to start?” 

The Shelby Mustang is a motorsports icon, and the bedrock of Ford Mustang racing heritage. And it only exists because old Caroll saw an opportunity to make a quick buck as a fixer between Ford and the SCCA.  What a story.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/23/21 11:04 a.m.

Still one of my top five favorite cars.

tolyarutunoff
tolyarutunoff New Reader
4/30/22 2:53 p.m.

someone--shelby?--offered me either the prototype or a very early car to drive around sebring.  i never cared for the car's looks and the rough ride, etc...i didn't know that was supposed to be a production race car.  i just thought nobody would buy something that rides like an oxcart! 

dacrab
dacrab New Reader
3/16/23 12:04 p.m.

Amazing story!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OcQxivyv7ypkdKnt6ZYmkOnNX1BO5rbJt9kktB0TsB7QQCrF1VF0JflTtkFKAGPw