David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/10 11:05 a.m.

I just got a notice that Porsche's upcoming run of the 911 GT2 RS has sold out--205 mph, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and $245,000 MSPR. Five hundred copies are being built with 133 coming to the U.S. So, does this mean that the modern supercar is still alive? Discuss.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/20/10 1:11 p.m.

Were they dead?

Porsche only had 500 of them to sell, and $245,000 is umm...reasonable compared to exotics like a Bugatti. Heck, it's barely twice what the top-of-the-range ZR-1 Corvette stickers at, and they seem to be building (and selling) plenty of those.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/20/10 1:25 p.m.

Seems to me we are in the "golden" age of the modern supercar. Nearly every manufacturer has a halo car that goes stupid fast, and costs stupid $$$.

I was lucky enough to drive the 505 hp ZO6 Corvette, and although it is amazing from a engineering standpoint (200mph AND 25mpg?) it is silly overkill for the street. Most of these cars performance envelopes are so far beyond their driver's skill levels, they are relegated to being pretty things to look at......and impress your buddies with.

It is kind of funny, as a kid I was soooo impressed with supercars. Now I just see them as ego strokers for secretly insecure rich guys!

and I'll take my GT2 in Green please!

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
10/20/10 2:16 p.m.

Supercars are almost too common these days. What we need more of is insane technology demos like the Lexus LF-A.

For me, there is no greater supercar than the McLaren F1.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
10/21/10 11:56 a.m.
Scott Lear wrote: For me, there is no greater supercar than the McLaren F1.

Yep. It's been pretty much all downhill since the F1.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
10/21/10 1:31 p.m.

I gotta say that my DB7 was at the time if not a supercar then definitely an exotic even though it will only go 165 MPH. It also only cost $20,000. I love that part the best, or maybe I love the way it looks best and the price second, or manybe I love the sound of the supercharger second and the price third.

No matter what I still love supercars. There are a lot to choose from now which is neat. make mine a V12 Vantage.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
10/22/10 9:31 p.m.

Give me a yellow F-40 and I'd be a happy camper.

dougie
dougie Reader
10/22/10 10:09 p.m.

I still lean toward vintage and you could do 185 mph in this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-lw8sKIh620/TH5WAjhutLI/AAAAAAAACk4/yVOWE089Qo4/s1600/jaguarXKSS.jpg

Dougie

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
10/23/10 5:43 a.m.

I'd rather buy an esay for my future career. Who needs a super car when you can do that!

Even if I was a bizzillionaire, I'd rather have a Lotus 7, a Tiger or an MGA Twin Cam over any of the cars above.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/23/10 8:58 a.m.

I’m with Aeronca for the most part. There is a bit of envy for the high end British and Italian vintage stuff, but ZERO interest for modern plastic and carbon fiber.

I believe I’m a great driver, but in reality I’m a good driver at best, so a super sticky, G pulling 300 MPH car just wouldn’t be used anywhere close to its max.

Now something like a Lotus 7, MGB, or even my old Morgan I can drive right on the ragged edge...

I believe that is the magical factor in fun: Is it more fun to drive a TR up a twisty road at 60 or 70 MPH: feel-hear-smell-taste the machine, trying to get more power, to go just a bit faster in the strait and then brake more controllably in the next turn? Or to aim and shoot knowing the modern car has your back so to speak? Seriously, where can you use a supercar to near its max?

As I type this I’m thinking it’s exactly the same for a fighter pilot...A gun victory is simply more satisfying than a missile shot.

I think I sort of answered my own question...I find old sports cars very satisfying in a way any new car cant match.

Leo

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/23/10 1:16 p.m.

Modern cars, even rather pedestrian ones like Camrys and Minivans, have exceedingly high levels of performance. Most will hit 60 MPH faster than the average late 60's sports car. Some will get there faster than super cars of that era.

There is an expression I've heard. I don't know who wrote it, and I'll probably butcher it here, but it goes something like "I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."

With the level of performance that's available in basic cars these days, it makes it very hard to explore their limits. Because these cars are so fast, you can get into trouble that much faster. And the faster you go, the deeper the trouble!

There also used to be a term called "momentum cars." These were cars that weren't fast off the line, but if you worked at it, and learned to drive them well, you could be fast. Examples include just about any early Lotus, Porsche, Fiats, etc...

In my opinion, it is almost impossible to build a "momentum car" today. The safety requirements alone make building a light weight car, with minimal horsepower, nearly impossible. I don't think that there has been a new car for sale that weighs less than 2000 pounds in the last 5 years. When a car weighs about 2000 pounds, 100 horsepower is fun. The kind of fun that won't get you into trouble too fast.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
11/2/10 8:47 a.m.

A "supercar" is a car you love and actually drive. A vehicle with a bunch of electronic anti-skid, anti-lane change, auto-mirror, launch control and other similar gizmos isn't a car, it is a programed robot.

A "supercar" is not an investment. Those who keep motorized sculptures in their humidity controlled garages and trailers, don't understand what a car is meant for.

I have owned several "supercars". They included Tr-3s, MGs, & 240Zs. My current "supercar" is a Mazda Miata. Why are they super? Because they are used and abused as they were intended. I can and do drive and use them without feeling guilty or worrying about their place in history.

I owned one (1) Porsche 911S and will never consider another. Many would say this was the only supercar I could claim to have owned. They are wrong. I was noticed constantly by police, yuppys, and punks. Everyone either wanted to arrest me or say they beat me away from a stoplight. I quickly learned it is much more "super" to go "fast" in a slower car than "slow" in a faster car.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
11/2/10 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Leo Basile:

I agree and urge you to keep your old buggies! However, if like me you find yourself a little too old to be stranded or you don't get under the car as well as you did, consider adding a Miata to your garage.

Yes it's a rip-off copy of our beloved blighty rides, but it's not a bad thing to also own an Elan clone that usually starts and doesn't leak at least three different fluids.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
11/16/10 7:26 a.m.

Sure its a great car, but can you put a canoe on the roof?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/16/10 7:30 a.m.

This is my supercar -

Honestly, I don't really care about supercars or exotics. What I do care about in a car is it is fun to drive in anger, faster than it looks, does a lot of things well, and satisfies me. If I had the money, I'd buy another one of these and mount an NSX engine and transxle behind the seats, because I honestly believe that it would be the only way to improve this car. My Mustang I like for the nostalgia and the big honking V-8. I like my Civic because it's a great autocrosser, handles way better than it looks like it would, is practical, seats four, and is fun to drive. The CRX I like because it's a lot like the Civic, but better. The TVR I like because of it's rarity, it's chassis, and it's looks. Cars that cost over $10k usually don't do much for me. Notice that all my cars are light by the standards for there market segment. That's because I have a particular liking for light, short wheelbase cars. One semi-exotic that I'd defintely consider is a Lotus Elise. I also will someday own a 911, most likely a '78-83 SC. But other than that, I'm not much into the high end supercars, but I'm glad they exist.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
11/16/10 8:04 a.m.

Hehe...

I told my wife this morning I don't need another car. I need a truck....

"You need a truck to tow your car for 2 racers a year?" she replied.

Errr it won't be 2 races a yr forever.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/16/10 2:19 p.m.

Well said, André!

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
11/16/10 3:21 p.m.

Maybe the new plan is to sell 1 supercar on Saturday and 1000 base models on Monday. Will the $245,000 GT-2 help sell more $80,000 Carreras? Yes, I expect so. Cheers Ron

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LwyOrXadOw0YWEQ726OBJcGbqgDlM7PoYkzampsxS7cR8fSzbwZIaTXLJiJLGPGP