jackyjoyx123
jackyjoyx123
2/24/21 6:11 a.m.

Hello,

Our 1967 Shelby GT350 has driven the line between original patina car and full restoration. We’ve grappled quite a bit with how to address the car’s cosmetic rust, but for now we’ve restored it underneath and left a good bit of patina on its topside. Honestly, we’ve been more in the mood to properly restore the whole thing, but those who’ve seen it as-is typically favor leaving it worn. We’re a bit puzzled by this reaction, since the current coat of paint is just a cheap, poorly prepped quickie job from some unremarkable day in the car’s past. It’s neither significantly original nor of any quality, but it certainly has an appeal for many people. In previous installments of the project series, the car’s underside and engine bay were restored to a factory-like appearance (read: not overrestored). Unfortunately, we’ve still got to deal with rust in the doors, and the glass really needs to come out so we can address the rust in the window channels. Blending the paint in these areas could cost as much as a full respray. We’ve had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that all of this work and expense will leave us without a more tangible outcome, like a straight and professional quality job. For now, we’ll just treat this more like a rolling restoration. We can blend in the paint, and if we decide on a full respray, we can remove the trim—but not the windows—and fairly easily finish the job. We’ll have more money in it, as we’ll have done some things twice, but we do these projects mainly to demonstrate them to you.

thanks

jackyjoy

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/27/21 8:00 p.m.

Faded paint, old decals, and small dents are interesting patina. Rust holes quickly become another matter. Can you post some pictures?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/1/21 12:06 a.m.

If it's been repainted already, I see far less value / interest in the patina.  That said a super restored Mustang isn't exactly uncommon.  I would say plan on a respray but try for something that looks original, which means no color change, or no fancy color and a single stage paint (!).  I know, I know, but shiny paint definitely has a slightly different look than a shiny clear coat.

Or, you could be a complete moron and put a nice paint job on it and sand it down for patina.  Hell, figure a way to fade the paint to complete the stupidity.  As you can probably tell... not a fan of that trend.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
sxzGjst53ZExCyC6D3tydbIIdUkzaRNV5kJTE1WbBGDVwqzn3KcprEqCTnG5yTTe