Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/18/20 11:20 a.m.
feature_image

Owners of specialty cars are a tight-knit group. Despite the small number of Elva MK VIs made, we instantly started communicating with other owners that we found either through our own publication or through the Facebook group for these cars. 

We have talked regularly with a fellow owner who lives near Los Angeles. Our restorations are progressing on similar timetables. …

Read the rest of the story

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/18/20 8:14 p.m.

Interesting place to mount the spare tire. Wonder how effective it is as a safety bumper. surprise laugh

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/20 1:08 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Maybe? But, yeah, it is a bit waaaaaay out front. 

ElvaRacingRoger
ElvaRacingRoger New Reader
3/23/20 11:32 a.m.

Good to read that you are getting local support from other ELVA Mk.VI owners .. nice people worldwide.  Just remember that these cars tend to be individuals and since the early 1960's many are somewhat different to the original specification seen on leaving the factory. However, enjoy, keep well and stay safe. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/20 11:37 a.m.

ElvaRacing Roger, I have noticed how different the cars are and have had people tell me their cars are very original, when they are not. Thankfully, my twenty plus years of concours judging, have taught me a lot about what is original and what is not. I plan to do a very faithful job of restoring this car, especially if I can find the drum brakes I need.

And as for the spare tire, it was probably more to do with space available and weight distribution, than safety, but I did think that it might make a good bumper, and do plan on installing it.

ElvaRacingRoger
ElvaRacingRoger New Reader
4/4/20 11:53 a.m.

Tim, good that you are prepared to accept some shared 'knowledge' with a pinch of salt; sometimes this comes from excessive enthusiasm rather than malice but there are rule benders in all walks of life.  It becomes nasty if with fraudulent intent of course.  The carrying of a spare wheel and tyre was a regulation in some events, and you will perhaps have noted that the later McLaren-Elva had such a requirement with the item sitting more-or-less on the top of the 'dash panel' albeit being totally unsuitable for actual use.  A box that had to be ticked by the scrutineers!  Best that you do not put the 'bumper' to the test as you could find your kneecaps in your armpits :-) but continued good luck with the rebuild of 60/13 .. it will be a fun ride for sure.  Keep safe ... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CNUapM6sZvy0Li11bBdEbtQo6hkXIDTcV1tXcdukfSHdTDkMYIX81pF4Gh0AgSUb