David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/20 11:22 a.m.
feature_image

Time travel exists. 

It’s not limited to Doc Brown, Bill and Ted, and the Terminator.

How do we know?

A brand-new set of Yokohama Advan A008P tires just hit our doorstep. Back in the day, the A008 defined both performance and coolness. 

First, how about a little history lesson from the tire maker itself:

“In 1976, European tire product reviews stated …

Read the rest of the story

shane86
shane86 New Reader
1/15/20 1:22 p.m.

Re-do the test!
It's a cool opportunity to be able to run a fresh set of a 40+ year old performance tires, vs the current crop of EXTREME PERFORMANCE tires and see just where tire tech has moved over the decades.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
1/15/20 2:19 p.m.

While the tire has the same physical appearance, I'm skeptical that they're using a 40 year old chemistry, just assuming some of the chemicals used in tire manufacturing from the era are likely banned now, forcing a use of newer formulas.  These 'reissued' tires may have more in common with a modern tire than one from the 80s.

David S. Wallens
1/15/20 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Coupefan :

I agree, the technology has moved on. Yokohama’s latest max performance tire is the Advan A052. We tested it early in 2019 and found it to be fast. And the Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals confirmed that fact. 

David S. Wallens
1/15/20 3:48 p.m.

And a video on the tire from Yokohama:

Planet_Scott
Planet_Scott New Reader
1/16/20 3:40 p.m.

I had several sets of the original A008. First on a 1980 Celica, then on a 1976 RX4. They were cutting edge at the time. 

David S. Wallens
1/17/20 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Planet_Scott :

Totally. I ran them on a Sentra SE-R, Rabbit GTI and a Mini Cooper. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/20 7:07 p.m.

Just to be clear, that was the then-new A008R in the 1986 test, and not the regular A008, which looked similar but was very different.  The "R" was significant enough that the term "R compound tires" became an informal term for the new category of DOT competition tires. 

FASTtechLtd
FASTtechLtd New Reader
6/3/20 8:43 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

David, what size rear rim are you using with that 245?

Jeremy
84 911

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JlsjR9nfHKpAbs4pCjsDWoMiyUNi4KfpsBPItMoOhemW5FQDJQqoQMVH5uEvakKE