Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/28/20 11:07 a.m.
feature_image

We have wanted a Boxster since the original was introduced as a concept car more than 25 years ago in 1993 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Thanks to its drop-dead gorgeous, ’50s Speedster-esque styling, classic sports car proportions and a reasonable price tag, we wanted one right away.

As of late, early Boxster prices have reached …

Read the rest of the story

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
1/28/20 1:21 p.m.

Nice deal on the car.

"Bonified" is not a word, and shouldn't have passed a spell checker. "Bona fide" is a latin expression which is used in English by people who for some reason don't want to say something like "genuine".

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Brian_13 :

Thanks. Fixed. 

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
1/28/20 3:35 p.m.

Kinda rough for the price, and no provenance, especially for an 'S'.  These go for a lot less in our area then your buyin cost. But, that won't make a difference in five years.

I'll take mine in silver with red interior.

wannacruise
wannacruise New Reader
1/28/20 5:17 p.m.

Good for you Tim.  You would have just spent more money chasin after another one if you hadn't grabbed this one.  A grand or so one way or the other doesn't make any difference if you going to enjoy the car.  I was telling Penny that I am starting to get hot for a Porsche.  Especially since they have been beatin Corvette on the IMSA circuits the last few years.  But I want a new one.  I figured I could grab one I want for a wee bit less than 200k.  She said yeh how you going to do that? I told her I would sell the house and trade in the new Vette.  She said after your half of the proceeds and the divorce attorney fees I'd better hope it had reclining seats because I would be sleeping in it.  I said Ok.  cheeky 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/29/20 6:14 p.m.

In reply to TreDeuce :

A good friend of mine has an early S that's silver over red. Looks good. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/6/20 6:08 a.m.

TreDeuce, not sure what part of the country you are in, but in most places, these cars, in this condition, have started moving north of $10,000. The non S models are a bit cheaper, but they are starting to rise as well.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/6/20 6:09 a.m.

wannacruise. You might want to skip the new Porsche right now, although the new Caymans are real tempting for me.

Bob_S
Bob_S New Reader
2/15/20 6:42 a.m.

Hi Tim,

Are you going to cover the IMS bearing problem?  I understand that the IMS failure is unpredictable and at some point the original bearing will fail.  I would love more info about it, because these are great handling car.  I would love to upgrade from my 46K mile Miata NB2 to a Boxster.

Thanks,

Bob

wspohn
wspohn Dork
2/15/20 11:09 a.m.

The mechanical issues they had (some of which were later addressed by Porsche, but some owners were presented with needing a new engine due to the IMS problem and that cost more than the cars were worth if they were off warranty) would put me off on the early cars, and I am really more of a coupe guy anyway.

I did seriously pursue a Cayman GT4  but up here in Canada the dealers were trying to get an extra $20K over list, so that soured me on the idea.  I still really like the Caymans, but one probably isn't in my future (I went BMW instead).

cnavarro
cnavarro None
2/15/20 12:30 p.m.

Great S model to start from. Early Boxsters are great cars and I wouldn't pass on them. You just need to go in eyes wide open rather than wallet wide open. 

I have a '99 myself with a 3.8 liter we built up from a 3.4 996 engine and addressed all the issues. Big brembo brakes, factory aero package, M030 sport suspension, etc.  Yes, I have more in it than it is worth, but how much would it cost for a car with similar performance? This thing will just need oil changes and fuel. If I do decide to track the car again, it's good to go too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ExA6PkD4cq2tYhiiIudjHTRVoPKwd520oZOIuFfnBgLaX9LkyMR5kFBj6p1QlIr1