1 2
Dave_Jorgensen
Dave_Jorgensen New Reader
7/11/11 2:38 p.m.

I agree absolutely, Matt - it's the old saying: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow." If I want grins-per-mile up a winding road, I break out the MGTD. But if I want to go faster, the Miata turbo becomes the weapon of choice. But it's the MG that gets the pretty girls to smile, and cloth don't smell nuthin' as good as Brit leather.

But my daughter's Acura 1.7 EL [a dressed up Canadian Civic Si with leather, heated seats, and a sunroof] is almost as much fun. Fat Bridgestones and a chip make it a pretty involving automobile. New is okay.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/13/11 6:34 a.m.

I get the point Jorgensen is making (heck, I've argued it myself to people). But I still gotta say...an Altima? If you want to be invisible, this car is a good choice. Certainly capable, but I doubt more than a handful of people will dream wistfully of having one again in 25 years. It's like a really good dishwasher; you're pleased with your purchase, and maybe a little sad when it gets replaced, but you don't keep photos of it in your family album.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/13/11 8:04 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: I get the point Jorgensen is making (heck, I've argued it myself to people). But I still gotta say...an Altima? If you want to be invisible, this car is a good choice. Certainly capable, but I doubt more than a handful of people will dream wistfully of having one again in 25 years. It's like a really good dishwasher; you're pleased with your purchase, and maybe a little sad when it gets replaced, but you don't keep photos of it in your family album.

I dunno, there's a couple Altima variants I think some owners may look back to with nostalgia.

The new coupe doesn't look too bad, and there was an SE-R version of the sedan for a couple years that wouldn't be too bad to drive. Maybe not in the same class as a lot of the other cars mentioned here, but not my wife's Camry, either.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/13/11 1:41 p.m.

Believe me, for a sport driver INVISIBLE IS USUALLY GOOD!

I've owned enough high visibility vehicles (I assume a blood Red '69 Road Runner 440 6X with blackout hood & a Red & Black '70 El Camino SS396 qualify as high visibility vehicles.) To know you can get a speeding ticket in your driveway if you're baiting the bear!

I have been on the freeway in the draft of a 911 or a M3 and watched them get a ticket while I cruised by in my little baby blue "secretaries car." BTW: That little secretaries car is a SL Miata with 10.5# of supercharger boost but it doesn't show it off to the bear. I no longer go for a big spoiler, or radical paint job, etc. Of course I DRIVE my car rather than text or phone while behind the wheel.

A stick shift Altima,like my Miata can embarrass a lot of high visibility rides and you still have a better chance of keeping your license. And there are a ton of aftermarket parts that will make a "sleeper" out of almost anything, even a MG.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/13/11 3:25 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: Rupert makes a valid point on the purchase vs running costs of some cars, but I wouldn't dismiss ALL higher ends cars as expensive to own. 3 series BMWs (E30, E36) are certainly not expensive to own, but most Porsches will be. Find what you like, and get educated in advance of any purchase as to what commonly fails and what it will cost you to have it fixed. Ease of working on a particular car also should be factored; I don't mind doing work to early BMWs but would not suggest some British or Italian (cheaper to buy) cars because they are more difficult to work on (access, special tools needed, poor quality fasteners). I'm one for getting the most car for my money, and I must confess I LOL'd when you said "Altima". Seriously? The fleet/rental car of the Nissan line is worth comparing in driving experience to any of the cars he's considering? I've driven Altimas and fwd Celicas and while they are decent cars I'd never compare the driving experience to a BMW, 944 or Supra/RX7/Z car. In a stretch I'd consider an Inifiti G20/Primera and maybe the 240...but an Altima?

I guess you haven't spent a lot of time in Europe. In Bavaria it's hard to rent a car that isn't a C-class Mercedes or a 3-series BMW. Unless of course you upgrade to a E-class or a 5-series. Even more money puts you in a S or a 7, so what is your your fleet/rental car point again?

As to the term Classic, I would paraphrase many judges and others by saying I can't define Classic, but I know it when I see it. I also doubt my idea of Classic or yours either for that matter is the same as others. For example, I don't think a Classic has been produced in the US since the Studebaker Avanti-not the Avant II. And I've never considered any pony car a classic. "Your experience may differ."

I believe what he is asking is for advice on a "Classic" daily driver that can be fun, sporty, & yet carry stuff. I believe the Altima and other "fleet/rental cars" can provide a great fun and sporty driving experience. I'll let he & you decide what you choose to be your Classic.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/18/11 7:43 p.m.

CLASSIC CAR UPDATE

Some of the responses to the idea of an Altima being a classic daily driver got me thinking. The big question was, can a Rental/Fleet car be a classic?

One of the true sought after cars today, though I don't know why, is the Mustang GT350H. Wasn't that only sold to Hertz as in Hertz Rent A Car fleet car?

In March of 1989 my lovely bride and I went to Quebec. Our intent was to ski Jay Peak in Vermont as well as Mt. Sainte Anne, and Mt. Treblant in Quebec. We stayed at the Chateau Mrontenac in Quebec and RENTED a current Mustang fastback. This was truly the worst rental car I have ever rented throughout my travels over much of the world!

We wanted the power of a V-8 and didn't find it there, smog devices maybe. I also couldn't figure out why the car never seemed to get warm, regardless of miles traveled. Finally, one evening I discovered why. We were driving East at near sunset and I saw the sun very clearly UNDER THE HATCH OF OUR RENTED HATCHBACK!! This car was so poorly constructed the sun shone through the gap between the bottom of a closed hatch! And some suggested it might be a good "Classic Daily Driver!!"

Thanks very much! I feel a good Altima, Maxima, PL-510, 610, etc. would make a much more enjoyable daily driver than many which have been named. For one thing, they usually start every day.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/19/11 8:40 p.m.

Every Mustang rental I've seen has been a V6.

Rupert said: I feel a good Altima, Maxima, PL-510, 610, etc. would make a much more enjoyable daily driver than many which have been named. For one thing, they usually start every day.

Then a classic isn't for you. I could argue that my classics always start (and they do), but expecting modern perfection from something built 30 or 40 years ago is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/20/11 9:52 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Nope, I checked under the hood it was a V-8.

And yes I love classics and all those I listed are, in my opinion classics. As well as the 240Z in my 35 years ago picture.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/20/11 10:06 a.m.

Hey! I just spotted another Classic that starts every day! The Gen. II RX7 convertible. Beautiful car that runs well too.

Of course the frame isn't wood and it wasn't designed on a pub napkin but neither was a F body Mustang.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/20/11 4:59 p.m.

I researched second gen RX-7s a few years ago since they were becoming cheap. They aren't bad, but they do have issues. You need to be an educated buyer on those.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/21/11 11:12 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

I agree 100% However I would have said that about any other car I've seen listed here as well.

TGM
TGM
7/21/11 6:04 p.m.

My recommendation: Volvo 122S

Good daily driver, safe, decent room, 50's styling, easy and cheap to work on. I had one for a few years.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/19/11 11:11 p.m.

240z since you relaxed the backseat issue. If you find a rust free specimen, it will outlive you.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/24/11 3:11 p.m.

GM G-body?

still69RR
still69RR
8/26/11 1:24 p.m.

new hear, but here goes: Up here in the Great White North ("it's a beauty way to go"), lots of cars are bought as "daily drivers", unrealistically. I live in a pretty reasonable part of the country (only -40℃, or -40℉ a few weeks of the year, and a desert as well), and some people think that they can use a classic car for everything. This is simply not the reality.

Some cars that do come to mind that could suit you well: mid/late 1960's Mustang. There may be a few that have been updated with better suspension/brakes, etc. One of the "coolest" cars I recall seeing around here was a early "Comet" Rancher, with a 5.0 transplant and updated suspension and brakes. It is one of the few standouts that could actually be driven (almost) year round. The same could be said orf an updated Comet as well, if a 60's Mustang is out of the question. I've seen some very nice "Shelby-ized" cars that could also suit. Cost of maintenance and repairs is very low as long as you don't end up with a thrashed car that needs a lot of repairs to start with. Update as $$s are available, and understand that you may never see a return on investment, it would function as both a "toy" and a daily driver.

Consider the SC300 Lexus coupes. Big, luxurious and "sporty". Well within your budget. I even know where one is available (Las Vegas car its complete life, obviously rust-free, always maintained , and still in 'Vegas). I recall that the big 3 review mags of the day suggested it was always a better car over-all than the SC400-lighter, and thus better handling, better on fuel and just a touch slower than the V-8)

And to all that have suggested a Volvo Amazon, 140 series car, etc: I agree completely here. Built like tractors, can be made to handle and brake well (did GRM do a 122 2 door as a project years ago?), performance is available and essentially invisible if not "flashy. Another alternative, which might me my pick) is a P1800 either coupe or wagon, for the same reasons above.

Just a couple of thoughts.

still69RR
still69RR New Reader
8/26/11 1:34 p.m.

In reply to still69RR:

oops, guys sorry for the typos. Is there any means to edit my mistakes?

Also to all waiting for Hurricane Irene to hit, wherever you are: stay safe, lock your car(s) away, take your family and pets to safer ground if need be. I hope none have any significant losses. Stuff can always be replaced, but not people or pets.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
8/26/11 2:36 p.m.
still69RR wrote: oops, guys sorry for the typos. Is there any means to edit my mistakes?

Click the small pencil-looking icon by the upper right corner of your message. That will let you edit your post as many times as you need.

And thanks for the hurricane wishes! Irene blew by over last night, but the rain and wind were pretty minimal near the office.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LIHEhSSinqQw2cptgAgS1tKPwU2clqoqyujx4cuBNyhpn44AX8FbPBFKTDdL8r25