Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/28/18 4:35 p.m.
feature_image

After some investigation, we think that our project Elan was originally painted in Carman Red. We use the word think because there is nothing on an Elan’s VIN tag that indicates color.

There were four standard colors used on these early cars, but Lotus would also paint them any color you wanted as long as you had the money to …

Read the rest of the story

ivanwood
ivanwood
3/24/18 12:55 p.m.

Will there be an article on redoing the interior and did you go with the horrible ABS tunnel cover?

wspohn
wspohn Dork
3/27/18 12:51 p.m.

It would look stunning in a good red (not an orangey red or the dull red that was stock).

Look at BMW Imola Red and there are also some nice Toyota deep reds.  This decision was absolutely the hardest to make for me. I ended up using the BMW colour. I think it worked out well.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/1/18 11:21 a.m.

I wanted to stick with an original color. And yes, there will be interior assembly stories and we did use the original style console.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/2/18 5:36 p.m.

For original colours, the blue or the yellow look pretty good - not fond of either red they used.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/4/18 9:57 p.m.

Yeah, the red was a little week and I am getting a bit tired of red sports cars.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/5/18 10:18 a.m.

I reached the same conclusion years ago when I noticed I had been doing an inordinate number of my cars in reds of one shade or another.

I switched up and no have a gray, a silver (the modern sports cars), a blue, an two reds from the Red Era.

If you look at the slightly later Lotus OEM colors it opens up your options quite a bit.  This Carnival Red on a later coupe lokks much better (to me) than the early muddier red,  Don't know if that would violate your originality guidelines.....

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
4/21/18 1:35 a.m.

I would go with the green and put some sort of yellow stripe/stripes on it.  You know, Lotus/John Deere racing colors

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/15/18 7:05 a.m.

I am pretty thrilled with the blue and 99 out of a 100, so far,have commented on the striking color.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2HakBgCVRIsCi7KEGP0CirCOd5JQZQ3tZUGf8zH6WzO03eBw0fiyFEDGcxcxpAo2