Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/20/11 8:09 a.m.

It is sad to see Saab now gone it would seem for good.

I have personally owned a 1987 900S, a 1989 900 Turbo, a 1997 90SE, a 2000 9-3 a, 2002 9-3, a 2007 9-3 Convertible and a 2010 9-3 Aero XWD. All were neat cars, with the GM900 and the earlier 900 being personal favorites, thought the XWD car is amazing, with great awd systems and an amazing handling car with lots of power and terrific handling in any weather including deep snow.

It is just sad to see a car company that has always been just a bit different then the rest, even in the GM era, no longer being around. A great rally history and the companies view on how to design cars has always been interesting.

Anyone else sad about this? Is it just impossibly to have a niche brand in the automobile market anymore? I definitely think that GM was stupid to try to make Saab a mainstream brand and in doing this erase a lot of the niche style that made the brand unique.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/20/11 10:24 a.m.

Yeah, GM completely misunderstood the appeal of Saab and wrecked it. But we've been watching the implosion for years now, and even when they were "saved" by Muller, most of my Saab Weirdo friends were resigned to eventually seeing yesterday's news; it was only a matter of time.

I grew up in Volvos and Saabs, and, except for a 245 wagon for a few years, I have owned only 99s and classic 900s over 20+ years (plus I do time-speed-distance rallies in a friend's '85 900 Turbo). So, even though the newer cars are not terribly appealing to me, I am also sad to see the end of the marque.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
12/20/11 10:21 p.m.

Very sad here too. It seems all different and "quirky" cars eventually go away or go main stream. I think maybe the only one left now is Subaru and it's looking more bland every re style. At least they still use the boxer and AWD.

Bainford
Bainford New Reader
12/22/11 12:37 p.m.

Personally I was never a Saab fan (and to be honest I've never really had much to do with them so I can't comment on them with any authority), but always appreciated the 'colour' that they brought to the automotive landscape. I do like it when auto makers think outside the box (and Saab cetainly fits the bill), and for this reason I too am saddened to see Saab go. They were different, and I do appreciate 'different'. RIP Saab

td
td
12/22/11 5:13 p.m.

I just traded in my Saab 9-3 convertible. It had 104000 miles on it. It really did run like a jet on the highways. However I was constantly worrying about my 2002 in that GM made it with a design flaw. Ultimately because of the exhaust being too close to the oil pump the engine would at some time go because the oil would clog the screen in the pump. I don't know how GM got away with this.

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/24/11 8:41 a.m.

It bothers me because I grew up in a SAAB dealership. My dad was either the first or second dealer in the US (we never could get that straightened out). I remember going to the SAAB HQ in New Haven CT to get cars and parts. I met the president, Ralph Millet, a few times with my dad. It bothered my father to give up SAAB in the 70's but we had to cut back on the number of franchises (SAAB Volvo Peugeot) to survive. We're still a Volvo dealer, and got our newest franchise, Subaru, in 1971. My dad was a SAAB man until the day he died, and I still have some of his sales trophys in my office. Unburned 2 cycle oil makes me fell like a kid again.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
12/24/11 10:24 a.m.

I'm a former 2-stroke, 93b owner. One of my retired friends could easily afford something very exotic, but his "drivin' around" car is a 96 V4.

Pity the PheoniX never got a chance.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
12/27/11 4:04 p.m.

HEY! sugar happens, many wonderful cars have passed, and it aint over YET!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tPBhVTtb1EhXUGFP4tfWJSVupjXH7TmdJT21VWCOjh0VFKP4GVwjb5yk8agH8x2C