David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/18/10 11:20 a.m.

Anyone else here into slot cars? I'm thinking it's time to write something about them.

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
6/18/10 11:27 a.m.

A resounding YES... love slot cars, please do.. I think i even posted a link to pics of some of my weirder ones awhile back in another thread.. you know trabants and simcas and skodas....

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
6/18/10 11:29 a.m.

Yes here it is... http://www.flickr.com/photos/18rgrabbit/4130685333/

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/18/10 12:27 p.m.

I played with them when I was a kid. No interest at all now. Not trying to poo poo your idea, just giving you another data point.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/10 2:26 p.m.

YES!!!

HO-Scale please!

Gary
Gary Reader
6/18/10 3:46 p.m.

No interest here. Like bravenrace, I had a set when I was a kid. Loved it. A nice 1/32 scale set made by Eldon. Made my own body shells. Collected lots of extra track and had the damn Nordschleiffe in my parent's basement. But that was then. Today I prefer the real thing.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
6/18/10 3:57 p.m.

I race 1/32 scale now... raced 1/24th scale commercial tracks about 10 yrs ago. I spend more on coffee in the morning than I do racing slot cars every other week now.grassroots slot cars yee-haw

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding New Reader
6/18/10 5:47 p.m.

yep. Still have the same set I had when I was a kid. All of it is H.O stuff.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
6/18/10 10:12 p.m.

i loooved my slot cars until i discovered nitro rc cars

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/18/10 10:23 p.m.

Depending on the age group of readers you're trying to reach, there are different eras of slot cars...I played around with 1/32 and 1/24 scale stuff as a boy, but I never got into the HO scale and A/FX stuff, it was after my time.

stroker
stroker Reader
6/19/10 8:39 a.m.

I'd vote yes on that.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
6/19/10 4:07 p.m.

I've got a lot of nice 1/24th and 1/32nd scale bodies painted up like the real cars, that I've had signed. Tommy Kendall on a GTU RX-7 and GTU Beretta (Max Jones on that Beretta as well), Dorsey Schroeder on a 25th Anniv. T/A Mustang and Stroh's Light Cougar, Dan Gurney on a GTP Toyota, Price Cobb on a TWR Castrol Jag, Chip Robinson, Geoff Brabham, and Kaz Kastner on a Nissan GTP, Les Lindley on a T/A Camaro, Jack Baldwin and Buz McCall on a Skoal Bandit Camaro, Hurley Haywood on an Audi Quattro T/A, Steve Millen on a GTO Nissan 300Z, Irv Hoerr on a T/A Olds, and Ron Fellows on an AER T/A Camaro.

In fact, Kendall has a copy of the Beretta and RX-7 in his office, and gave me his C&C Racing driver's suit from his first year in T/A.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
6/23/10 5:24 p.m.

Im into it!

Id like to read a story or two about them.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
6/24/10 8:50 a.m.

Another vote for 'yes'. Like many of us here, I certainly built and raced them as a kid and now, like them as a display item. They are way too detailed and nice looking to race today! But really, I have no interest in racing any slot car today. But I would enjoy reading about someone else racing them and today's technology involved.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/24/10 9:52 a.m.

I also have the slot car bug and it is David Wallens fault. I have a pair of Ferrari p4s, a Aston vanquish, a pair of 911 cup cars, a D-type in primrose yellow, and the Daytona 24 hour livery Ferrari Daytona.

mdawley
mdawley New Reader
6/24/10 11:40 a.m.

Several years ago I sold all my old slot car stuff to a guy who was advertising to buy them. He invited me over to a meeting of his club, but after I showed him my shop he said "guess we won't be seeing you anytime soon....." I did keep a few of my old favorite cars though! Do an article; all in good fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PahvLER1l8YhxqneAvGZXV7e9hE90I5b9fL45grxanjPscwZXSjPtNICKBkVr1G5