1 2
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/20 3:25 p.m.

Tom,

Fantastic! THIS is the essence of Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports!  

Enjoy the drive!

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
8/18/20 6:28 p.m.

Great article. Love the first car (vehicle) stories!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/21/20 7:10 a.m.

It's finally time to go Spitfire hunting! Due to Covid we're going to try to do this trip without touching any hotels, restaurants or public restrooms, so we're bringing the camper and turning it into a miniature vacation.

We loaded up, paid the house sitter, and hit the road. Next stop, Richmond!!

I'll gladly take the white Spitfire in the lobby.

Glad you're getting your first car back. When I first read the title I immediately thought you meant the E30, but I'm relieved to be wrong.

Tom Suddard
8/21/20 7:46 a.m.

The white spitfire will be for sale soon! I should have brought it north with me. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/21/20 8:06 a.m.

I also thought "E30..." when I saw the thread and had forgotten about the Spitfire. Which is a bit silly since I've owned two of them (and still have one as well as a GT6). 

Next year you'll have to bring the camper and Spitfire up to Carlisle. laugh

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

How’s the trip going?

Tom Suddard
8/22/20 3:01 p.m.

Success! My car is loaded up and back at our campsite, while the parts car was surprisingly decent, too. We dropped it off at a buddy's house to wait for us to figure out what we'll do with it.

The scene when we arrived:

Tom Suddard
8/22/20 3:05 p.m.

First we loaded up the parts car:

Tom Suddard
8/22/20 3:08 p.m.

And dropped it off to live with Chris Cobetto. Chris has 10 acres sprinkled with dead cars and a tractor, but he's better known for running NASA's Mid-Atlantic region. Thanks Chris!

On a related note, if anybody needs a surprisingly not-rusty spitfire, shoot me a PM. 

Tom Suddard
8/22/20 3:14 p.m.

With the parts car out of the widow's yard, we dealt with my car. First we loaded up the vast collection of spares into it, then attached the hardtop. It was ready to load onto the trailer. 

Tom Suddard
8/22/20 3:18 p.m.

Success! (Partially, we still need to tow it home) 

We're back at our campsite now, and head home with the car in the morning.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
8/22/20 7:41 p.m.

Tom, I think the last gen Michelotti-designed Spitfire looks great with the hardtop, which you have. I own a round tail '68 (above), but my ultimate Spit would be a square tail, the same color as  yours, done up with hardtop and Gulf-Wyer orange stripes. You're a lucky guy because you know what you have with this car. We'll be watching. Have fun. Entertain us in future issues!smiley

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/20 10:05 a.m.

I guess eliminating those '73 rubber bumper guards would be a little more difficult than I would have expected.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/23/20 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Usually not.  My ex- converted her rubber bumper car to the small under-riders without too much trouble.  She had a friend cut off the offending metal and then the aftermarket parts bolted on.  Eventually, I need to do the same to my '79 Spit, although that's a ways down on the priority list.

Tom Suddard
8/23/20 8:11 p.m.

Made it home safely! I'm going to call this mission a success. Next step: Get the car running again, but first it's time for bed. Thanks for following along, everyone! 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/26/20 11:25 a.m.

I like the camper on the F250. Did I miss previous stories on that? Looks perfect for this kind of trip.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e1IZPukIrNFmnwVx68DMyJmWFBxpzhvPrneX9wtWrUcRX58AyU2tZwJqMtPK5RXO