1 2
wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/16/22 10:08 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

A friend of mine owned a Ford GT40 - a real one, not a clone.  He attended a get together of them and his was the only one that still carried a 289 engine - the others were all larger variants.  And when was the last time you saw a Mk 1 Sunbeam Tiger with a 260 in it? They all have 302 and up (original 289 cores are apparently hard to get now).

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/16/22 2:35 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Even with original 289's. The aftermarket is flooded with aluminum heads that flow massively better. Electronic ignition hidden inside distributors and all sorts of cams etc.  Chevies are as bad or worse. Since you can legitimately run a .060 overboard engine , 500  inches is normal for 454. With original blocks coated in cosmoline and stored away  and modern looks similar engines in place 1000 hp is possible. 

sardigarmi44
sardigarmi44 New Reader
5/18/22 9:23 a.m.

I beleive that Vizard said that a 2" SU can flow 330 cfm on the bench and I would think that a 3 liter pushrod C series would be hard pushed to need 990 cfm at red line

mobdro apk

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/18/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to sardigarmi44 :

You are right.  The 3.8 DOHC Jaguar doesn't use all of the carb even when highly modified.  
3 Weber DCOE 45"s  only make 15 more horsepower than the 3" SU's HD8's  and that's purely because the Weber manifold is straight in while the SU's are curved. 

joeymec
joeymec New Reader
1/18/23 2:52 p.m.

There are so many moving targets here ( for me).  I have used them all and different cars (for me) have had different preferences.  Examples:  With my  British A series motors (stock) SU's run just fine with proper tuning.  I have used Webers but significantly not better just different. I had  a BMW 2002 with twin Weber 45 DCOEs and it was way too much carburetion (car bought that way, not my choice).  I reinstalled a 32/36 DGV and the running righted itself into solid driver.  My buddy had a 40 DCOE single on a slightly modified 1275 A series and it was a brute but temperamental and gas mileage only approached 20MPG on a Bugeye Sprite. My recent project is a 1500 in an MG Midget.  The stock Stromberg was no good and I have a Weber 32/36 downdraft installed but not yet sorted.   To be continued..................  My driving habits are just basic going through the gears and enjoying the ride.  High performance is not required, just reliability!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ox107RSvX5jWQvqyjsgpILmUgTJEVrrBttudQVXOvkULpsuOkTCI49FWGJXrbKo5