1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/9/20 8:35 p.m.

I was torn as which car to choose.... I decided to go with my oldest and most classic, sadly this is the best picture I have right now. 

1967 VW Beetle

Prop? you have broken down golf cart, broken down Rabbit...  but really what says California more than a Cal look VW?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/9/20 8:49 p.m.

Here's my 2001 Supercharged Jaguar XJR.  The "license plate"  should get me in the show wink

And the corn in the background; because Indiana.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
8/9/20 9:28 p.m.

2008 Mazda Miata PRHT purchased new with 24 K miles on it currently. Even though the 2020 Woodward Cruise has been canceled the action increased last night as the sunlight decreased.  My prop is the early 60s Corvette (probably heading for California or so I tell myself) in the backround with the word FAST on the bus. Mere coincidence?........I think not.  Who says NCs are ugly? Probably none of this fits the contest guidelines but I decided to post it anyway to be in the same company as all the other awesome vehicles already posted. 

bradp
bradp None
8/10/20 8:36 a.m.

How about my road trip weapon of a '66 Sunbeam Tiger? Monterey prop is a Hagerty Dawn Patrol hat I earned by serving donuts and coffee at 4:30 am sometime over the past decade of Monterey Car Weeks. Details on the Tiger- I just spent the past few months swapping the original 260 V8 out for a hot 289, built by Davin Reckow for our "Redline Rebuild" series. I've driven this car all over the country in tours and rallies, and I think Tigers are just about perfect. I'm still sorting out the details on the build, but she's a runner and I hope to get it out on the road with my friends at Classic Motorsports in 2021!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/10/20 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Tvinje :

Very cool.Thanks for entering.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/20 9:25 a.m.
GrizwoldsZ said:

I've been attending the kickoff cruise in for the last few years with my son and my 71 240Z.  I was fortunate enough to win best Japanese car at last years event. I want to first thank you and second please consider the other fine autos here for best Nissan.  My Monterey swag is the blue ribbon and entry from last years show along with a framed poster from the 2018 motorsports reunion when Nissan was the featured marquee and the latest issue of my favorite magazine.  By the way, my son is officially a car guy now. That's his S2000 next to the Datsun.  His magazine of choice is Grassroots Motorsports. We hope to both attend next year. It's a great event!

I was scrolling through and thought "man, that looks just like the 240Z we chose for our award last year..."

My cars are all too dirty and not Californian enough to enter :)

Chipoetting
Chipoetting
8/10/20 9:55 a.m.

My 1956 VW Karmann Ghia has been in the family since 1962, mine since 1969. I have been going to Monterey & Laguna Seca, often in this car, since 1970. Recently restored & improved (12v, 1600cc), we were at the Monterey Classic Motorsports Kickoff last year & will be there again next year! Chip

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
8/10/20 10:17 a.m.

In reply to LopRacer :

I really like that color on your Beetle! Im in the process of restoring my '71 Super and had a hard time deciding what color to paint it. I ended up going with Gulf Blue.  

barryconnally
barryconnally New Reader
8/10/20 10:36 a.m.

Future cover car aspirational, my next restoration project awaits.  1966 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2.  She's extremely pleased that this year'd Kick Off is virtual.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/20 11:11 a.m.

In reply to TheRev :

Your color looks stunning. (The whole car looks perfect, in fact.) 

Thanks for joining in. 

David S. Wallens
8/10/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to cyncrvr :

Love the burgundy. My parents had a Launch Edition NC in the Velocity Red. It was a cool car. 

DrDave
DrDave New Reader
8/10/20 11:19 a.m.

Here's my 1956 Porsche 356A 1600N Speedster.  The car retains its numbers-matching engine, transmission, and original body panels, and is a multiple 356 Registry and Porsche Club of America award winner.  My Monterey Car Week prop on the passenger-side door is from the 50th Anniversary of the Speedster celebration, held at The Quail Lodge in Monterey on June 25-27, 2004.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/10/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Chipoetting :

Of all the wild cars I hope I'll be able to own (or at least drive) one day, I seem to keep coming back to the Karmann Ghia.

Also, that's really cool that it's stayed in the family that long, stories like that are becoming less and less common nowadays.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/10/20 1:48 p.m.

In reply to barryconnally :

Want me to bring you a very restorable MK III? I have a pretty decent 70 Spifire, BRG with tan interior. I have an empty trailer heading to CA soon.

RGuinness
RGuinness
8/10/20 1:54 p.m.

A lovely day for a drive in the country with my 1960 MGA. A three-part prop consisting of the 2o19 Monterey Car Week poster, Classic Motorsports bumper sticker, and Moss Motors MGA catalog.  Note the 50th Anniversary of the MGA from Australia on the badge bar.

GDonahoe
GDonahoe
8/10/20 4:31 p.m.

Here is my 1966 Lotus Elan Fixed Head Coupe (type 36).  The car is very original with selected updates.  It is great fun to drive and is reminiscent to the road car driven my childhood hero Jim Clark during 1967.

My prop shows action from Laguna Seca’s corkscrew from 1992, along with my admission ticket from the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion from 2010 featuring Dan Gurney.  Time certainly flies, hard to believe that it has been ten years since my last visit to the Monterey area.

KRB
KRB
8/10/20 4:51 p.m.

Here's my 2007 BMW E92 328i 6-speed. The prop is from the 2014 Carmel/Monterey Car Shows.

rwh_65Healey_NV
rwh_65Healey_NV None
8/10/20 4:58 p.m.

This is my 1965 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk III.  Although this isn't quite the right time of year to do much Little British Car driving in the Las Vegas area, braving the heat to take a photo with my old surfboard (what better California prop) with palm trees in the background was fun.

billmayer
billmayer
8/10/20 5:39 p.m.
rwh_65Healey_NV said:

This is my 1965 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk III.  Although this isn't quite the right time of year to do much Little British Car driving in the Las Vegas area, braving the heat to take a photo with my old surfboard (what better California prop) with palm trees in the background was fun.

montanagrl
montanagrl
8/10/20 5:50 p.m.

Wonderful memories from RMMR 2018 driving Laguna Seca for the first time with about 100 other Datsun/Nissan cars......  

All stock '78 280Z with 31k miles, original paint and interior.  

(License - 78 280)

billmayer
billmayer New Reader
8/10/20 6:02 p.m.

The British are coming! This is my 1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Bugeye.) It has an jupgraded 1275 engine, 5 speed transmission, and front disc brakes among other upgrades. It recently acquired a bra. The flag is obviously British, and the note on the windsheild says "August 2020". 

Bill Mayer, Bonita, California

David S. Wallens
8/10/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to DrDave :

Wow. 

barryconnally
barryconnally New Reader
8/10/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Suppose that depends on the expectation.  

mlewis6
mlewis6
8/10/20 7:00 p.m.

I bought this 1967 Lotus Elan Plus 2 in 1979 aged 24, having been a Lotus fanatic since the days of JPS. In 1981 I decided to emigrate to Canada from the UK. The toughest part of that decision was selling this Lotus. Thanks to the internet I found it in 2014 by googling the registration “ONR 920F”. It had been through a major renovation, however due to the car being so original many of the parts and components were rebuilt rather than replaced. It came up for sale in 2017 so I bought it and arranged to have it shipped to Northern California where I now live. The dealer then called me and said that the tach was not working, they could either ship it as planned or delay it a few weeks and fix it. Although I am usually impatient, I decided I had not seen the car in 37 years so I could go a few extra weeks. On October 16th, 2017 I took the day to clean up the space in the garage and hang up the poster sized pictures I had kept of it from the 70’s. All was ready for its arrival.

It was that night the wildfire ripped through my hometown destroying my home and everything in it, including my renovated 1991 Lotus Elan. ONR 920F arrived a few days later narrowly missing the fires.

My prop is the California number plate retaining the Lotus’s original number (UK plate also in the picture) and the way in which I found her.

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
8/10/20 7:21 p.m.
mlewis6 said:

I bought this 1967 Lotus Elan Plus 2 in 1979 aged 24, having been a Lotus fanatic since the days of JPS. In 1981 I decided to emigrate to Canada from the UK. The toughest part of that decision was selling this Lotus. Thanks to the internet I found it in 2014 by googling the registration “ONR 920F”. It had been through a major renovation, however due to the car being so original many of the parts and components were rebuilt rather than replaced. It came up for sale in 2017 so I bought it and arranged to have it shipped to Northern California where I now live. The dealer then called me and said that the tach was not working, they could either ship it as planned or delay it a few weeks and fix it. Although I am usually impatient, I decided I had not seen the car in 37 years so I could go a few extra weeks. On October 16th, 2017 I took the day to clean up the space in the garage and hang up the poster sized pictures I had kept of it from the 70’s. All was ready for its arrival.

It was that night the wildfire ripped through my hometown destroying my home and everything in it, including my renovated 1991 Lotus Elan. ONR 920F arrived a few days later narrowly missing the fires.

My prop is the California number plate retaining the Lotus’s original number (UK plate also in the picture) and the way in which I found her.

Wow! What a story and I am very sorry for your losses. Your Elan is beautiful, luckily it was spared  Thanks for posting.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nNLWGFEvPffoobuVXK4zqoDN8KAU2DFYGMhx73jgHjZWvoA1qj58igdEI6FQZkig