maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
2/8/15 10:45 p.m.

There are more shows on now than ever before that deal with our "hobby". But I find 90% of them absolutely miserable. TrucK U? All Girl Garage? (nothing against the ladies on the show, I'm sure they are better wrenches than me, but the show is dreadful), endless hours of auctions, Bitchin' Rides, Desert Car Kings etc. etc. .........Oh, Please! Just dreadful stuff. I'd rather watch clips of old Lemans races, Targa New Foundland, a real restoration show, (not Overhaulin' with 50 guys an unlimited sponsorship budget, etc). I am tired of the fake drama in these show, the fake shop arguments, the fake, "well we got to get this car done in a week 'cause thats the deadline and ole' Ted ordered the wrong dag blang parts" There are a few shows I enjoy, Wheeler Dealers, Top Gear UK, anything with Jay Leno, and maybe, "What's My Car Worth" or Chasing Classic Cars sometimes.

BillBall
BillBall New Reader
2/9/15 5:29 a.m.

In reply to maseratiguy:

100% agree with you. You list all the decent shows, although I think Top Gear is getting pretty stale. It's amazing that simple Wheeler Dealers is the most watchable one of all. The new Mud, Sweat and Gears is really lame. I guess the best way to look at it is that you should watch the decent 1 or 2 shows a week and spend the rest of your time in the garage or on the road/track :)

BillBall
BillBall New Reader
2/9/15 5:55 a.m.

In reply to BillBall:

By the way, the occasional episode of Car Crazy is good for learning about some awesome museums/collections/shows. But you have to be able to handle Barry Meguiar's lack of respect for personal space :)

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
2/9/15 6:28 a.m.

Agree. The only drama in WheelerDealers is the negotiations with Mike B and the buyer, or seller. It's so fake and corny that it makes it kinda fun to watch.

GPz11
GPz11 New Reader
2/9/15 9:36 a.m.

I really like Full Custom Garage. He only mentions he got a welder or paint from so & so.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/9/15 9:37 a.m.

"Money is tight", "Time is running out" and "Tempers are flaring" (add show title of your choice)

There is Zero automotive education is any show on TV. And the actors are an insult to any intelligent human organism. Calling them "Reality Shows" is just another layer of insult.

Try YouTube if you need some car building content. If you have not been following, the Roadkill and Project Binky series will keep you busy for a while. There is also no end of Youtube programing on any fabrication skill you think thing of.

pirate
pirate Reader
2/9/15 3:11 p.m.

I posted this on the Grassroots Forum a while back but think it applies here: One of the things that really irritates me about most of these car shows or reality shows in general is the recapping or repeating the same footage of the program you just watched after every commercial. Its an insult to one's intelligence to think viewers can't remember what happened on the show just a couple of minutes prior. I suppose it is also a way to cut back actual content and save money or maybe strech two shows content into three shows But between the commercials recaps after them there can't be anymore then 10 minutes of actual new contenet in a half hour show!

The dead lines I suppose are supposed to add drama however I find them more then irritating. Anyone who has ever worked/restored/built a car knows things sometimes just don't go as planned and a 15 minute job can often turn into a project in itself. My father used to tell me "If you can't find time to do it rightthe first time, when will you have time to do it over" I sure would hate to think I was paying someone for a good restoration only to find out the job was half assed together to meet a deadline.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
2/9/15 3:22 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Try YouTube if you need some car building content. If you have not been following, the Roadkill and Project Binky series will keep you busy for a while. There is also no end of Youtube programing on any fabrication skill you think thing of.

This. YouTube is my favorite TV channel. Chris Harris, the Drive network, Jay Leno's Garage, XCar, and many others provide content that I enjoy with minimal manufactured drama.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
2/9/15 8:31 p.m.

Maybe CM magazine can come out with a car show documenting their builds but just talk to us like they do in the articles? throw in Andy Reid and maybe guests chatting about their thoughts on what's collectible a Depreciation station chat if you will? ...I'd watch that.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/9/15 8:45 p.m.

Jay Leno really needs a TV version of his Garage show. I would watch that all the time.

I think there should be a Celebrity car show that's like the one segment of Fifth Gear where they all pile into new cars and give it their review. Maybe Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Adam Corolla. They could do Classic and New cars. The commentary would be hilarious.

I would like less dramatic shows. Overhaulin' is the only "reality" show that I can stand. Mainly because there is zero drama.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DdOWllLrxKTMe4j4ewiGfaOV4LE4cUdKu2IZs8VY7Udw8EhrCJKqnCTBpUu3ZbPN