Reggie Jordan
Reggie Jordan Circulation Director
5/24/13 9:29 a.m.

Good morning, all. When I was 12 years old, my Grandpa Jordan had a great '66 Mustang that he intended to hold onto and give me when I turned 16 and of driving age in Illinois. Alas, it wasn't being driven much and Dad told him to go ahead and sell it since I was 4 years away from getting my license. It was sold for $2500 in 1984. I've had an affinity for Mustangs ever since, especially '66 models, and would love to know where that Mustang is now.

So, what beloved car in your past got away?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
5/24/13 9:44 a.m.

My mother's 1970 240Z

Bought new in Puerto Rico, came to Canada in 1973 when we moved, left for the UK in 1980 when my parents moved there, and provided summer transportation around the continent when I would visit during summer. The car had a poorly done restoration in the UK and returned to the USA to live in Florida.

I had one final drive in the car while visiting my parents, and my girlfriend at the time happened to mention that this car seemed to make me a happy person. I agreed.

About 6 months later my parents sold it without even mentioning it to me. Broke my heart. Also pissed me off. I hope it is still alive somewhere and continuing what was a kick-ass history.

lewbud
lewbud HalfDork
5/25/13 2:30 p.m.

Mom and Dad's '63 Bonneville. Yes it was a boat, but it was a gorgeous, big green boat to my 12 yr. old eyes. Dad kept it running until they phased out the high octane leaded gas in the early 80's. After that he couldn't get it to run right on unleaded. Still look for one longingly at swap meets, but they seem to be unicorns.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
5/26/13 10:22 p.m.

I'll never forget 1971. I'm 20 yrs old and looking for a cool car. A 1966 ex Hertz Shelby GT350 for $2300 shows up. I'm a college student and that's as much as my tuition/living for an entire year back then. Way out of my budget. Next up - a 1960 Cadillac coupe for $800 or a Sunbeam Tiger for the same price. Still out of my budget. Then a $600. 1967 MGB that won't start. Still too expensive. Finally I settle on a 1961 Porsche 356B with the 60 hp "normal" engine for $400. Its been in an accident and the rear end is punched in. No problem - a case of beer and my buddies and I rubber hammer out the ass end, fill it with bondo and spray can paint a color that's about the same. It doesn't look too bad and I have a few years of "fun" driving.

The funny part - my buddy is jealous so picks up a clapped out TR3 for $350. just to do me one better.

We'll never see 1971 again. But sure glad I did.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/28/13 10:11 a.m.

The DB4 Series 4 that I missed last week.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/28/13 10:49 a.m.

I was all set to buy a nice Maserati Ghibli SS (used the larger engine) at a very good price, but decided to wait until I had sold my Jensen Interceptor convertible. Of course that meant the Ghibli had gone down the road by the time I had money in hand.

It all worked out, though as I lucked onto a much rarer car that I enjoy as much as I would have enjoyed the Ghibli - a Lamborghini 400 GTS.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
5/28/13 3:06 p.m.

I was 15 and made an offer on a rust free 1949 Pontiac in forest green with 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. My dad had one in the early 50's. It was in 1965 and was $100. He traded it. Cheers Ron

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/28/13 9:31 p.m.

Love the Lamborghini 400!!!

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
5/29/13 11:17 a.m.

It was maybe about ten years ago, I had just had my Merak for a couple of years and my dad had an '87 Biturbo spider, (still does, in excellent shape and not at all the junk everyone says they are). So we see a 69 Ghibli SS for sale by a sller friend we know and wonder if we should sell ours and go halfs, Neither of us do.....sigh. Also an '87 Milano Gold in near perfect condition a few years ago...I still want a Milano...maybe one day, but a Verde.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/29/13 12:45 p.m.

I missed out barely on a short 912 about 6 years ago that was rust free for $500. I also regret missing out on my grandpa's old farm truck (old '70s F100) or a '68 Torino with unistalled running 427 side oiler for $3000.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/29/13 12:52 p.m.
Andy Reid wrote: Love the Lamborghini 400!!!

Andy - it's for sale!

Trying to reduce the fleet!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z6y4V2Jp7ElGPyVegu3mMes2Hs9gi0HPE9FYJaJZiElPsocWNkkpS1tHZBRIRL5z