David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/4/19 8:12 a.m.

Something happened while we weren’t looking: The Volkswagen Rabbit GTI, the car that introduced the low-buck hot hatch concept to millions of enthusiasts, has quietly crept up in value. Hagerty says that top examples are approaching the $20,000 threshold, and a recent Bring a Trailer sale supports that notion.

That’s Little British Car money for a machine that, likewise, delivered …

Read the rest of the story

studepilot
studepilot New Reader
4/29/20 4:04 p.m.

while not a gti ,I have very clean 89 cabriolet sitting in my lot .i have to get it running again after the vermont registration is taken care of .I think the fuel is not flowing but have to further test .already has  wheel discs  new struts , new brakes a/c delete , an old crusty vert hood in the british lexicon . I cries out for more ,but alas corona has sucked away the funds for now .The free stuff will get done as it is nice out now .if you can't build what you dream of ,build what you have ..... 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/20 11:39 a.m.

In reply to studepilot :

So your Cab has the full bumper covers, right? Need to get that to Radwood. 

cbcleland
cbcleland
5/1/21 3:16 p.m.

Encouraging news.  The GTI has long been a favourite.  Had two over the years.  Makes me think my current toy, an '84 Scirocco might be increasing in value too.  Same mechanicals & suspension only - some would say - nicer looking!

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/2/21 1:25 p.m.

I recall when I started racing back in the early 70s, there was a feeling that 'real' sports cars were somehow superior to those sedan things.

Then they amalgamated the classes to run together (it was a power to weight group like a showroom stock class with very limited modification allowed - the improved production (SCCA style) remained segregated. 

It was immediately apparent that the handling of cars like the Wabbit was excellent - no doubt they were torsionally stiffer than a body on frame old style sports car  and it showed as it gave a more stable platform for the suspension. It didn't help that the organizing body didn't really distinguish between the old gross power ratings and the post 1971 net figures until a couple of years later, so my 80 bhp and a post 1971 80 bhp car were significantly different in terms of grunt.  But the handing was our biggest surprise, and it made us drive harder and cleaner and was in retrospect a good thing - we just didn't think that way at the time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oy73RPZYErJwZ7AimxFJgsVn2f4M5icRD3fOpJo8XENG853ErZZ2GUYDaMxEaqHx