Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/23/15 3:52 p.m.

I don’t sit around much. Even at night, I’m usually writing stories or working in the shop on one of our project cars.

That said, I do occasionally like to goof off. I’m not proud of this, but one of the main ways I relax is by watching movies. Bad car movies. Instead of bettering myself by watching masterpieces from …

Read the rest of the story

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/15 4:05 p.m.

Links aren't working, so I don';t know where you're going with this, but I'd agree that the best thing about the late 80s car-wise was that you could still buy insanely cool older cars on the cheap. My next-door neighbor had a pristine AC Ace - sold it for $6k

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/23/15 6:30 p.m.

Ha! I just watched Fireball 500 on TV the other night. It's such a stupid movie - no one blinks an eye when Frankie Avalon pulls up in that awful Barris custom, towing Richard Petty's car on a trailer, like that sort of thing happens every day. You have to try to ignore the bad acting, and instead look for cool cars in the background.

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
3/23/15 6:40 p.m.

cheer up things could be worse, so you cheered up and things got worse!!

NAH,not so,life is moving along(so is everyone else).

life is about personal freedom, like nothing to think/or worry about. get out of bed in the morning any time and just meander thru the day, eat when and what you want to(not at some set time table)! go to bed any time you feel like,or stay up all night!

its your life and you are starting to realize you have little freedom, like running/,managing, a lot of people, and some popular magazines,ETC.

and nothin wrong with a drink or two, as long as it doesnt become nessisary!

believe me it made my life miserable,but i wasnt the one with the habit!!LOL. all in all,some times you have to change the course!

OK over and out,i'm starting to sound like a shrink!

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/23/15 11:20 p.m.

I've got Red Line 7000 and Thunder Road, I must admit. I may have Drive a Crooked Road, too. I saw Two Lane Blacktop. I might have a couple Elvis movies too. Spinout, and some other. Clambake? Some cool old cars. I bought Palm Springs Weekend to see the Thunderbird. It had a siz cylinder sound How stupid is that? I'll probably buy Angel Face to see the XK120 back off the cliff

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
3/24/15 11:16 a.m.

Two Lane Blacktop with James Taylor and Dennis Wilson. The next time your wife complains about those movies making you an idiot, just reply like I do in similar situations with my wife:

"It's too late for that, Honey."

JoseM15
JoseM15
3/24/15 1:34 p.m.

Great information sharing here.

rogpatt
rogpatt New Reader
3/25/15 6:07 a.m.

What a boost down memory lane, Tim.

I bought six cars during the 1970s; beginning with a 1970 Ford Country Sedan purchased at the factory via my company's "Vendor X" program, which son #3 flipped on his way to the draft board a few months later. Replaced with a 1971 Gran Torino wagon which wife like driving better anyway. Rust prompted swapping for a 1975 Ford Elite with trunk able to fit four golf bags and snazzier than that year's Thunderbird. We still puffed back then and car was so tight I had a fan installed under rear window to exhaust hanging smoke into trunk. Terrific cruiser to far away places, but it rusted out too. A used 1976 Olds Ciera from the dealer's wife's garage slipped in as our first air conditioned car; New Hampshire folks didn't need such gadgets, but it came with the car. A 1978 Pontiac Phoenix...one of those dreaded "X Cars" was next and couldn't have been too bad since we drove it happily for six years. Finally, there was the the 1979 Ford Fiesta...the first delivered in New Hampshire, that was a fantastic little bugger until T-boned at the entrance to Logan Airport Tunnel in Beantown.

The next one was probably the very best of all cars I've ever owned; in style, performance, durability, etc., etc., but that's another story.

Rog Patterson

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/31/15 6:57 a.m.

I actually like some of the Elvis movies, especially Viva Las Vegas, as they were at least well produced, took you deep into the sixties and usually had awesome cars and beautiful women.

Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
4/1/15 3:49 a.m.

Two words: Ann-Margret

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/1/15 7:16 a.m.

Mel22, yup, those are the two words! There was some serious chemistry there too. I think she had an affair offscreen with Elvis.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
4/2/15 1:51 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Mel22, yup, those are the two words!

Repeated over and over again like a mantra.

ktisdale
ktisdale New Reader
1/8/24 6:24 p.m.

Those movies were so bad that students in film school were forced to watch them to not do it again!

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/9/24 8:21 a.m.

Looks like we went from worst car year to worst car in a movie.

How about the AMC Hornet from 1974 in Bond's Man With The Golden Gun?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9d8bjgDv3whjVPqSRtPam9BjIS08EgABJpO2iEYWj6Cc4AuciF0ykHlhexjuhJ3o