Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
11/11/10 2:22 p.m.

So I was at the Aston Martin dealer today for a service and noticed that they had taken a car in trade towards a DB9 that I liked more than my DB7.

It was black with parchment and black interior and a 5 speed with 39000 miles. In fact it was another DB7.

So what does everybody think. They are appraising my car and I have basically decided to trade it if they can make the difference in price between teh two cars somewhere around $4,000. For that I get a car with a 5 speed, they actually have better luck with the automatic cars, and one in a bit better shape with less miles.

Chime in.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/11/10 2:30 p.m.

More details and Pics please.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/11/10 2:39 p.m.

I'm all for making that trade.

Lower mileage, 5-speed, more desirable (to me) interior color, better overall condition, etc...

In another 10 years, the gap will only widen as far as which one I would pick. Do it!

No wait...on second though, sell it outright and buy the Bauer Targa 2002 from my other post.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/11/10 3:08 p.m.

Well, I'll be perfectly honest here- I'd go with the DB9.

Why? My friends did the development.

Maybe a not solid reason, but it's a reason.

Yes, I may have worked on the DB7, it was not nearly the involvement my co-workers had with the DB9- so IMHO, it was a much better developed car.

Either way, you have an Aston Martin. Win-win!

E-

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
11/11/10 3:22 p.m.

I tend to favor the DB9 over the 7, but I've never driven either one, so my opinion is simply looks.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/11/10 3:34 p.m.

Three pedals is better than two! If the black car is right, I'd go for it!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
11/11/10 3:44 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Three pedals is better than two! If the black car is right, I'd go for it!

I approve of this message.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
11/11/10 5:16 p.m.

4K eh.

If you've got the cash in hand. Rock en roll.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/10 6:37 p.m.

Andy, I guess the first question is which direction the $4k would be flowing in...

Given the amount of work you've had done on your DB7, what's the condition of the same critical items on the black DB7? I would think you probably wouldn't want a repeat performance of the various issues you've had with your DB7, unless they were priced in in the first place.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau HalfDork
11/12/10 5:20 a.m.

Oh and do you have a black suit?

Ah hell sell the thing and get a DB4!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
11/12/10 9:42 a.m.

They decided they want 7 grand and that did not make sense. My tech at the dealer thinks mine has been treated better mechanically as well so I am sticking with mine. The also said it was much dried underneath. :)

I do have a black suit and need to do a pic like that.

What I did instead was to source and buy all the extra parts I needed to bring mine fully up to spec. I drove it this morning on a diet coke run and I love it!!!

If I could afford the DB9 I would buy one today.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
11/12/10 9:56 a.m.

Andy: Good to walk away. I suspect you would have ended with a car in overall poorer condition. Yours is at least partially sorted and likely better than that. I also thought that if this "deal" came my way, the dealer would want more than I could stomach. A used car salesman by any other name is still just a used car salesman. Cheers Ron

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/12/10 9:29 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Either way, you have an Aston Martin. Win-win! E-

Yes sir.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
11/16/10 5:37 p.m.

I love the car. We are now making it an online project car. It has a few needs and we are going to attend to them.

First will be fitting the winter driving wheels and some new Bridgestone Blizzak tires and see how this works.

I am going to cover how to own one of these cheaply, places to find parts, how to do stuff yourself and such. It should be fun.

I will post pics of the tires and wheels as I get them done. Look for a online project car posting for it later this week.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/17/10 8:22 a.m.
Andy Reid wrote: I love the car. We are now making it an online project car. It has a few needs and we are going to attend to them. First will be fitting the winter driving wheels and some new Bridgestone Blizzak tires and see how this works. I am going to cover how to own one of these cheaply, places to find parts, how to do stuff yourself and such. It should be fun. I will post pics of the tires and wheels as I get them done. Look for a online project car posting for it later this week.

For those of you who think it may be horrible to take a DB7 out on winter streets, and that it should be preserved....

I can assure you that AML actually sold a winter package for the DB7- it was a unique (narrower) set of wheels, and I can't recall the specific tire that was made for it. But the winter package does exist, and AML took a lot of pride that their car was a 12 month car, anywhere, when we heard reports that vipers would not start below 0F.

So have fun, Andy- outside of the confusing HVAC, it's a great winter car.

Eric

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
11/18/10 6:40 p.m.

Thanks Eric and I actually have that winter package with the car. The longer I own it the neater it is. The only thing I could even think of replacing it with would be a nice series 1 or 2 E-Type 2+2, but not soon. Not at all soon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mcR8Xu5sVJ66jQfG1yyduJ0j7u4Za5TAruoCmLHWSsi9QoFaWUx8uoQFYA8LIj9w