OFracing
OFracing New Reader
2/17/09 12:51 p.m.

I just added a pair of Spitfires (79 and 80) to the fleet. The big ugly bumpers on these cars are complete but sun faded to a light grey texture. I plan on fixing these cars up to daily driver status and the bumpers will need some help. I'm considering a few paths here and would like the opinions of those who have gone before me.

Option one- Buff out / Spray on something/ restore finish. I suspect this approach is useless, the plastic has probably out gassed too much material over the years. But it never hurts to ask.

Option two- Prep and paint them with plastic furniture paint. I know there are some good spay paints out these days that will adhere to plastics but I'm sure the key to success is in the prep. Anyone tried this?

Option three- Get some plasticizer and add it to the paint when I shoot the car. I'm not sure if 30 year old British Bumper Plastic will accept modern additives like a new GM bumper will.

Option four - My wife hates this one but can you retrofit chrome bumpers from a MK4 ? I'm assuming new replacement bumper covers are not available or cost effective, am I wrong?

Any other ideas I should consider?

Thanks in advance

mike

Current running Spitfires

63 spit race car

70 GT6

71 Mk IV

72 MK IV

79 1500

80 1500

carzan
carzan New Reader
2/17/09 2:01 p.m.

I'm not going to be much help as none of my Spitfires have had the plastic bumpers, but I know replacing them with the chrome ones is a fairly common and straight-forward practice. I can't imagine why your wife would object to you doing so. -Louis-

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/17/09 2:18 p.m.

Late MGBs suffer the same problems, and solutions vary from very simple (hit it with some heavy gel silicone-type products) to advanced (sand and spray).

If it were me, I'd just swap bumpers. The earlier ones look better anyway.

Marty
Marty
2/19/09 12:02 p.m.

Go with option 4 and tell the wife to stay out of your garage. Nice meeting you at the Glen last fall.

Marty

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
2/20/09 11:48 a.m.

Thanks Marty for setting me up with the FOT list. There's a pair of chrome bumpers on ebay right now that have my eye.

mike

Ian F
Ian F Reader
2/26/09 11:53 a.m.

The Spitfire RB to chrome conversion is not a simply a matter of unbolting one and bolting on the other. Unfortunately, MUCH more involved. We have a 79 as well and have decided the bumpers aren't that ugly for now...

I don't know the specifics, but apparently the bonnet hinges are different and it involves getting the front frame section from a CB car and some cutting and welding... Seems strange to me, but those who have actually done it confirm it's a PITA.

Post on NASS... you'll get more/better info.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
2/26/09 12:40 p.m.

Thanks Ian, I have a 72 also, I'll put them side by side and compare. Going to snow this weekend anyway.

mike

Ian F
Ian F Reader
2/26/09 2:59 p.m.

...and now that I remember more.. the valance is different as well. My g/f was all gung-ho on the idea until she started asking vendors (TSI and British Miles) about the parts we'd need.

Indiver716
Indiver716
11/9/19 7:38 a.m.

10 years too late but here's a link to a PDF on the plastic - chrome bumper conversion process.  Not a simple bolt swap for the front bumper but the author does a good job laying out all the steps.  Just be careful and double check what you are cutting before you cut.  

http://faculty.cas.usf.edu/garey/triumph/Bumper%20Conversion%20for%201980%20Spitfire%20v3.pdf

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/9/19 11:19 a.m.

Painted isn't a bad way to go, although I'd remove those twin probosci that makes it look like a tugboat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KrYchUHiQvn2hBV3MeJGNOCd3vQAcpE9iY49f1UVtwdBQbfgGQDECxiZ0kKbvZHY