1 2 3 4 5
Rupert
Rupert Reader
4/11/13 8:56 a.m.

I love the 1600 Fairlady. But I also think the 2000 Fairlady belongs in this list. All the good stuff just 400 cc more bite.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
4/15/13 1:47 p.m.

Hey Rupert, I think the unloved ship sailed on the Datsun roadsters, with the nicest cars selling for 25-30k these days. This is well deserved but they now carry pretty strong prices. By the way I love the early, metal dash, 2000 Roadsters. When new, these cars were better than any other car in their class.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/17/13 9:19 a.m.

I love boxy European cars from the '80s with small twin-cam engines:

Alfa Romeo 75 "Milano"

Fiat 131 "Mirafiori"

Lancia Beta Montecarlo Coupe

Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Peugeot 405 Mi16

I love them so much that I've bought a couple! I don't understand why the E30 M3 has such a massive enthusiast following, but the 190E 16v has been almost completely forgotten. Stiff chassis, 16v race engine with Cosworth head, sopisticated suspension, Teutonic styling, DTM-winning race history. What's not to like?

And I'll never understand why people spend a fortune on 30-year-old Corollas and completely ignore cars like the Alfa 75 and Lancia Beta. Makes no sense to me.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
4/19/13 1:00 p.m.
Tahoe wrote: All Morris Minors! What did I just say? I'm sorry, but I kinda like the commercials (pick up and Van). I remember a pick up running SCCA in the Northwest a long time ago. Saw the link and it took me back in time.

I just went to that link. Killer truck! I love the way the fuel cell is mounted. And obviously they didn't muddle up the exterior with a lot of wings, etc. Once a brick, always a brick.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
4/19/13 1:03 p.m.

Andy,

I don't love a 2000 $25K worth! A $25K Fairlady is way too expensive for me to enjoy. I believe that's "trailer queen" pricing for any Datsun.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/20/13 3:56 p.m.

Fiat 124 spyders. Off-season you can find respectable looking drivers from 2500-5000. Also agree with alfa gtv6. Although climbing, not sure why ferrari 308 gt/4s don't cost 2-3x as much as they do. Not all that hard to find a ferrari mondial under 20k. Maserati Meraks seem overly cheap too.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
4/25/13 4:19 p.m.

Trust me, 124 Coupes are not unloved by anyone lucky enough to have found one.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
4/25/13 5:49 p.m.

Lancia anything?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
4/29/13 3:11 a.m.
Coupefan wrote: Trust me, 124 Coupes are not unloved by anyone lucky enough to have found one.

I have seen several in pick and pull in the last few years, so I'd say that counts. Any of the cars that some people consider classic but are more likely to be scrapped than offered for sale probably belong on this list. Mercedes w126 coupe, Volvo 262c, fiat 850 and x1/9, and most jaguars newer than 1975 would be in that category as well.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/29/13 9:07 a.m.

ANdy I would rather have a canoe than your mis-labeled Mercedes crap book. .

redstack
redstack Reader
5/17/13 9:36 a.m.

I"m with Phil. Either the super 122 ie the 123gt or the 142. Every time I see a race prepped 142 I get dreamy.

redstack
redstack Reader
5/17/13 9:44 a.m.

Hey Lanevo

Waiting in Seattle

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/17/13 12:46 p.m.

I don't think I mentioned one of the cars I own in this thread - neglected but cool.

Jensen CV-8. Made 500 of them. Big twin tube chassis with 4 wheel disc brakes as early as 1962. Fibreglass body. Could call it a British Corvette except the Corvette didn't get disc brakes until later on. Big block Chrysler engine, most with Torqueflite automatics.

Great performance for the day. Mine has seen 145 mph, but it has a stronger engine with sixpack. Stock output was 330 BHP.

Looks and styling, highly controversial. I find it useful - creep up behind someone, catch them repeatedly looking in their mirrors, then inevitably move over without being 'bumper sniffed'. Oddly, it does seem to scare dogs - one even fell down on the ground trying to flee when it saw the car.

Greatest fun - couple of hot 60s Camaros came up on me once coming back from Seattle. Decided to boot it and out accelerate me. They had drag diff ratios, good for maybe 110 mph. I stayed with them until they topped out and then waved, floored it, my secondaries cut in and I walked away from them, no doubt swearing never to race another car that looked like that, should they ever see another one (not too likely - maybe a couple of dozen in North America).

Rupert
Rupert Reader
5/17/13 4:07 p.m.
Rupert wrote: Andy, I don't love a 2000 $25K worth! A $25K Fairlady is way too expensive for me to enjoy. I believe that's "trailer queen" pricing for any Datsun.

I've had several people locally ask me why I'd not give $25K for a Datusn 240Z. Datusns were always cars that I could drive and enjoy. They lasted through almost anything and generally were used up when I finally sold them. They were cheap enough I wasn't concerned about my losses.

I found with my first MG(TD) and my first Fiat(X-19)that I had to be very aware of where I was, since I needed to get home. (Remember this is before cell phones & wrecker drivers didn't usually have roll-backs then either.) So I was careful when and how I drove them.

In my Datsuns I just thrashed around & they still almost always brought me back. If I paid that much money for any Datsun I'd be nervous about messing it up and going way upside down on my purchase price. Therefore it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to own. I'd probably be as careful with a $25K Datsun as I've always been with the British & Italian cars I've owned.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/20/13 4:41 p.m.

I do not disagree that 25k for a Fairlady 2000 is a lot of money. The best examples, not trailer queens, just perfectly restored examples, that people actually drive, are selling for 20-25k. Now this is for a metal dash 1967 model. I know it seems high, but if you can find me a well restored and unmodified example cheaper, please send it my way.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/20/13 8:01 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: ANdy I would rather have a canoe than your mis-labeled Mercedes crap book. .

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry that I just noticed it. I'm sure that Andy would apologize for his canoe.....if he still had an account. - JoeyM

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/22/13 6:35 p.m.

I love that CV8 by the way wspohn. I saw one for sale on the web the other day that probably needs everything and got to thinking... I would likely trade my DB7 for one.

plance1
plance1 Dork
5/23/13 8:52 p.m.

4 door, hardtop, 69 oldsmobile delta 88's

plance1
plance1 Dork
5/23/13 9:10 p.m.

[URL=http://s32.photobucket.com/user/plance1/media/102_0285-1.jpg.html][/URL]

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
5/26/13 9:18 a.m.

Chevette.

Cheap, RWD, SLA front end w. rack & pinion steering and disc brakes. Lightweight (okay maybe a bit flimsy), but available with A/C, P/S, etc. to make it livable in today's traffic.

No love because here they were just cheap little turds with underpowered engines. BUT they do have a racing pedigree.

English Vauxhaul Chevette:

German Opel Kadett C: Which is related to this:

Mine looked an awful lot like this one. If I still had it, there would be a turbo ecotech swap looming.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/11/13 6:54 p.m.
wspohn wrote: I don't think I mentioned one of the cars I own in this thread - neglected but cool. Jensen CV-8. Made 500 of them. Big twin tube chassis with 4 wheel disc brakes as early as 1962. Fibreglass body. Could call it a British Corvette except the Corvette didn't get disc brakes until later on. Big block Chrysler engine, most with Torqueflite automatics. Great performance for the day. Mine has seen 145 mph, but it has a stronger engine with sixpack. Stock output was 330 BHP. Looks and styling, highly controversial. I find it useful - creep up behind someone, catch them repeatedly looking in their mirrors, then inevitably move over without being 'bumper sniffed'. Oddly, it does seem to scare dogs - one even fell down on the ground trying to flee when it saw the car. Greatest fun - couple of hot 60s Camaros came up on me once coming back from Seattle. Decided to boot it and out accelerate me. They had drag diff ratios, good for maybe 110 mph. I stayed with them until they topped out and then waved, floored it, my secondaries cut in and I walked away from them, no doubt swearing never to race another car that looked like that, should they ever see another one (not too likely - maybe a couple of dozen in North America).

WOW. I didn't even know this existed. I love being stumped.

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
7/24/13 12:04 p.m.

Hmm. Along with 80s G bodies, I think late 70s B bodies are starting to get there. The Caprice Aerocoupes seem to be attracting a (relative) premium in the classified sections, but I've always been partial to the wagons. GM used the same basic chassis until '96 so engine swaps and suspension bits abound.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/27/13 8:56 a.m.

wspohn,

What a great article! And yes, I'm sure your ride is well under most of our radars.

Thanks so much for sharing!

travellering
travellering New Reader
8/2/13 9:59 p.m.

I'm amazed Jensen's haven't seen the fast and furious effect like the gen IV Supra. I guess it wasn't one of the male leads driving the Interceptor with eleventy-seven gears, but still ya'd think it would have raised the profile of the marque a bit....

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/7/13 1:44 p.m.
gamby wrote:
wspohn wrote:
WOW. I didn't even know this existed. I love being stumped.

What I enjoy about it is that it looks old and odd, but goes like stink.

The engine attracts the hot rod set too - big block Chryco with sixpack.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lwJqxcwjHdIMxatCiuao6m4oXYDarz2YJcTfUmCi77Li4Kg1MrBYkeGqyBnu6l4F