1 2 3 4 5
Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/21/09 10:25 p.m.

Now that Lotus/Caterham idea is interesting. Maybe add a Cortina to round it out.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/22/09 9:41 a.m.

Even though I am a British Car Idiot I have to agree with the statement that the suggestions have been heavily British.

I support a non-British project.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
3/22/09 8:46 p.m.

Hmmm....

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/22/black-plate-runner-1966-sunbeam-imp-project/#more-1627

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
3/22/09 8:46 p.m.

Hmmm....

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/22/black-plate-runner-1966-sunbeam-imp-project/#more-1627

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/23/09 11:47 a.m.

Hmm... yeah... I have to agree there are a lot of British cars... but...

A Targa-preped Corvair?

re: racing a street car... while trying not to dive too far into the discussion in your other thread, I had posed the same question to a friend of mine... his comments pretty much echoed David's. Even if minimal concessions are made to keep it street legal, a race car is simply a brutal car to drive on the street. The only way I could see it working is if your main venue were hill climb races and you didn't care too much about being competitive...

How about rust repair on a Volvo P1800?

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
3/23/09 5:34 p.m.

How about rust repair on a Volvo P1800?

What, the Midget rustoration didn't take up enough issues for ya?

I'd like to see a Fiat 850 Spider project. They are pretty much forgotten -- I think we've had all of one featured in the entire history of CMS, and that in conjunction with several other cars. All one needs to be a really fun sportscar is 20 more HP and either taller gearing or a 5-speed.

Not British, small a somewhat quirky, unusual but not rare, inexpensive compared to many.

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
3/23/09 8:33 p.m.

Do you do fiberglass? How about a Lotus Elan or even a Europa? I love to see an Elva also.

dougie
dougie New Reader
3/23/09 10:11 p.m.

I don't want to get off topic but do want to give Andre some encouragement. We have a long time (12+ years) vintage Healey racer here in the NW who has never trailed his car to the track to race. In fact he has only had to trailer it home a couple times. He's no back marker either, he's very competitive in our vintage grid. Usually kicks my A..................

Dave Phillips races old school, and I mean that with much respect, it can still be done successfully. He trailers his gas and race tires and camps in a tent at each event. He's the first person to lend a tool or help with a broken car. His enjoyment comes from being close to the races and developing close friendship with all the racers.

Just get behind the wheel and get to the track.

Dougie<a href="Dave Wheelie"><a href="2934049860104713890S425x425Q85">

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/24/09 6:23 a.m.

SEE THATS WHAT I WANT TO DO!

A.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/24/09 6:25 a.m.

Oh here is another idea.

Classic tow rig eh.

I think it would be so cool to have an old truck or something with a modern power and drive train.

A.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers Reader
3/24/09 8:53 a.m.

Thus my suggestion for a CMS project... a Series Land Rover up-dated to haul a small race car.

I happen to know where a 109 is sitting. It would be a major project, but it is one of the most complete vintage, non-restored, Land Rovers I have ever seen.

Refresh the 6 pot or drop in a M/B diesel, add parabolic springs, and you would have a great vehicle to take to the beach, to the track, or on an off-road vacation.

Give it some thought CMS staff! (I'll even help!)

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/24/09 10:09 a.m.

What, the Midget rustoration didn't take up enough issues for ya?

Missed those issues... I have noticed that the MGB/Midget and the 1800 are surprisingly similar in body construction... and there's already an entire book about rustoring one of those...

And an Fiat 850 does sound neat...

Dougie: I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done... just that it can be difficult. In the PAHA group, there's a guy who drove a Datsun 1500 from New England to PA for every race... then drove home... no trailer, either... Heck, I've thought about doing that with my ES... (plus, none of us want to see Andre do anything to his GT6 )

While I don't disprove of the Land Rover idea, I'm not sure another truck (after doing the Ranchero) is the kind of vehicle a mag called Classic Motorsports would do...

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/24/09 10:18 a.m.

Aww come on...

http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/GHR630/Busted%20Knuckle%20Racing/

rconlon
rconlon Reader
3/24/09 10:46 a.m.

Andre:

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/8319/index.html?no_cache=1

Try one of these Racers. It is a basic 850 Spider with a top bolted on. So you source a top and get a Spider and don't worry about the rare trim bits.

Cheers Ron

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/24/09 10:47 a.m.

Well, you're persistent... which is admirable...

Gary
Gary Reader
3/24/09 12:14 p.m.

My preference would be the early Spitfire race car that Tim mentioned, rebuilt and modified for road / touring /vintage rally use. Restore it like Richard Lloyd’s first race car which was an ex-factory rally car converted to a race car.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-auction-car.php/carno/2008-07-22-BON-223

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
3/24/09 12:22 p.m.

£24,150, that's like 43500 $Canadian

HAHA

Gary
Gary Reader
3/24/09 12:36 p.m.

Yeah, that's a lotta 'scarole for a Spitfire. But I'm sure Tim could build a nice clone for around 10% of that.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
3/24/09 5:07 p.m.

In reply to rconlon:

Try one of these Racers. It is a basic 850 Spider with a top bolted on. So you source a top and get a Spider and don't worry about the rare trim bits.

IIRC the 850 racer is a hard top, not a bolted on hard top accessory.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
3/24/09 6:19 p.m.

IIRC the 850 racer is a hard top, not a bolted on hard top accessory.

I think that's correct, although they usually were covered in vinyl (ugh) which made them look like a separate part.

The 850 Sport Coupes were fairly cool too...

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
3/24/09 9:10 p.m.

I'd like to see a Lotus Europa build, but not so much to stock. It would be interesting to see what could be done to modernize it in terms of suspension, engine, etc. Something you could autocross on R-comps and not fear breaking it (too much). Alfas are always interesting cars, too. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Duetto several years ago when I had the chance.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
3/24/09 11:28 p.m.

Let's declare energy independance and coolness in one fell swoop.

With a Tiddler, for sure.

Something with an itsy, bitsy, teeny weenie engine.

And keep it simple and basic with maybe just some basic upgrades (alternator, better tires, etc).

Some suggestions. Subaru 360, Fiat 500 or 600, Isetta, Autobianchi, SAAB 93, Lloyd, Peel, Honda 600, DAF 600, 2CV, Renault 4CV, Vespa (car), King Midget, etc

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/25/09 6:42 a.m.

850 Racer, sans vinyl on the roof: I've never seen one made into a race car though. Most of the time it's the Spider, with the windshield chopped off. Peter Krause knows all about these. I know a guy in the Fiat club who is sitting on two former race cars. He probably wouldn't sell, but if he knew it was going to be restored in a magazine article he may cave on one.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/25/09 6:44 a.m.
Hopeless Triumph fanatic said: Classic tow rig eh. I think it would be so cool to have an old truck or something with a modern power and drive train.

Way ahead of ya. This is my tow vehicle:

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/25/09 8:06 a.m.

+1 for a classic tow rig.

A 2 smoker Saab would be cool.

I think CMS did a streetable vintage car with the Alfa GTV a few years back. Besides needing to tow the car anyway (you'll going to break eventually, no matter how mild your car is prepped), you will be well off pace at the big festival type events... something to the tune of 20+ seconds a lap . That could get old fast.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Upe4Sl2hBG4FSFdQFYq9u1Y19loJanGbN2YOK5Rk01NoLCftFX2tM6geptNg6N0v