RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/20 8:42 a.m.

Title says it all. Our 'farm' truck has decided for a second time to not crank. Last time I charged the battery and it didn't help. Then a random try to start it and its been working for weeks. Then yesterday no crank.

Anyone have the diagrams with the ignition switch and relays and whatnot?

TJL
TJL HalfDork
2/15/20 9:03 a.m.

My brothers yukon has a random no start issue. Pretty sure it was the crummy side post battery terminals and probably not so good of grounds on the body/egine/frame. After cleaning the scuzzy terminals the prob was lessened. Not sure if he ever went at the grounds because it worked most of the time. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/20 9:32 a.m.

I think I figured out its a weak starter.

I used the "trouble finding pokey screw driver with a lightbulb and a lead thingy" to verify that starter was seeing voltage at both big post during starting.

Then I hit it with a hammer and it started.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
2/15/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Test light is what that's called. 

wae
wae UltraDork
2/15/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Incorrect.  That's what it USED to be called.  From this point forward it is now called the trouble finding pokey screwdriver with a lightbulb and lead thingy.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/20 7:49 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

In reply to RossD :

Test light is what that's called. 

Doh! I kept wanting to say trouble light. I was close.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/20 7:50 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to gearheadmb :

Incorrect.  That's what it USED to be called.  From this point forward it is now called the trouble finding pokey screwdriver with a lightbulb and lead thingy.

Trademark of Ricky Bobby Inc.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/18/20 9:27 p.m.

To wrap this up. I crawled under the vehicle, then decided I needed it up on jack stands. Pulled the battery to charge it since I was cranking it so much, then got the truck up in the air. Pulled the two long starter bolts and the bolt that holds a plastic shroud around it. Then had to figure out how to get it out and get the wires disconnected. Ultimately pulling the passenger wheel and inner wheel well gave me enough room to get some socket extension in there to get the wires off. Once the big cable was off of the stud, the starter can almost fall out. 

The cross member below the starter ate multiple dropped tools. I found them but swears were had.

Installation was the reverse. Got the truck out and the daily driver back in the heated spot. Life is good.

I have found having Cleetus Mcfarland on makes wrenching much more enjoyable. #hellyeahbrother

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZSjvfQJuK4f6foKpLRxhFFyZvEdDWwI9PqkTrrYNXRHu9uaHHKuCLxCXGBVYXTCn