RossD
RossD UltraDork
6/12/12 10:16 a.m.

A guy at my work is having a problem starting his 2003 Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.2L ecotech 4 cylinder. It was previously an intermitten problem and now seems to more of an consistant one. The fuel pump seems not to always come on and today it died in front of the office. We popped the hood and he tried starting it and an audible buzz came from the fuse/relay box on the driver's side engine compartment. I started to investigate the different components and to my suprise the starter relay not there. WTF? He drove it there.

There is also some unlocking of the doors when it's not starting.

Any clues to this odd problems?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/12/12 12:39 p.m.

Ground problem? Those can cause a lot of strange problems.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
6/12/12 12:50 p.m.

The ground from the battery to the front cross member appeared to be in good condition and was not loose or corroded.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/12/12 12:56 p.m.

Grounds. When other things operate when they shouldn't almost always can count on a ground problem.

As to the starter relay not being there, it might only be used for the V6 models and there is only one fuse/power distribution block made to cover all the models.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
6/12/12 1:00 p.m.

Does anyone have any schematics of where we could find the grounds so we could check their integrity.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
6/12/12 1:47 p.m.

ground or passkey problems.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork

turn the key to on and let it sit for 10 minutes.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork

then try.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
6/12/12 3:25 p.m.

So the fuel pump relay is definately buzzing. We moved the AC Comp relay to the fuel pump's position and that one buzzed too. The engine seemed to be grounded to the chassis as we tested it with a DMM.

Anyone know where the splice pack sp302 (or ground pack G302) would be located? The car has a manual transmission if that makes a difference.

Post Script EDIT: He got the car towed to the shop. They replaced the ignition cylinder (the 2nd time for the owner now) and it's back to normal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4s3yO417LSG7Sq2svrJeSwuTSOtHFB51IIsHN7IoHUPsWOK5s8AnlTXLzDLW4tx0